• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rare Independent Cavewoman Comic
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Cavewoman is sort of an indie success story. Basement Comics was literally Budd Root and his wife self-publishing. None of the Basement issues are real common, especially #1. The series attracted quite a bit if attention for him, though; later on, it spent time at both Caliber and Avatar.

It's definitely a niche book, but it has a following. His good girl art style certainly helps.

I would suggest that the first issue of (almost?) any indie book that is continuously published for 25+ years is going to have a pretty solid price attached to it.

On 1/7/2022 at 11:44 AM, Brock said:

I would suggest that the first issue of (almost?) any indie book that is continuously published for 25+ years is going to have a pretty solid price attached to it.

Interestingly enough, I'm not sure that's actually true. Off the top of my head, Femforce #1 is certainly not a dollar book, but is a long way from what Cavewoman demands. A Distant Soil is pretty well renowned, even the first #1 from Warp is fairly available for under $10; only the Panda Khan issues demand much money.

On 1/7/2022 at 10:33 PM, Qalyar said:

Interestingly enough, I'm not sure that's actually true. Off the top of my head, Femforce #1 is certainly not a dollar book, but is a long way from what Cavewoman demands. A Distant Soil is pretty well renowned, even the first #1 from Warp is fairly available for under $10; only the Panda Khan issues demand much money.

Seems reasonable… I added my “almost” qualifier so I wasn’t speaking in absolutes. I’ve never understood why Femforce 1 doesn’t sell for more, and I buy it whenever I see it in the (potentially mistaken) belief that the market will wake up one morning, have a strong coffee, and realize its mistake.

Is this the exception that proves the rule?

With A Distant Soil, I’d say it doesn’t meet the “continuously published” bar… it’s had a number of hiatuses, including one that lasted 7 years, and (I could be wrong, haven’t checked) it feels like it’s been a a few years since any new issues were published.