• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about spine stress

6 posts in this topic

I am new to submitting to CGC so please help me understand how spine stress affects a 9.8 grade. I have read all about negligible and the sum and it still is kind of fuzzy. I just got a great TMNT #1 and it looks superb but hard to notice two tiny stress marks but its funny because they fit into the cover art nicely thats why I didnt see them at first. I want to send this book to CGC but only want a 9.8 (ha ha dont we all) so I dont know what to make of these two stress marks so I thought I would ask the community what they think. I wanted to do a walk thru for this book but anything under a 9.8 and I will be close to current price so I dont know if it is a good idea or not. So help me out and take a look and tell me what you think.

Greatly appreciated

Jim

DSC00182.JPG

DSC00182.JPG

Edited by Demetri
added pic

If you "only want a 9.8" you're probably out of luck.  Those color-breaking creases appear to be rather significant.  
I would post these pics and high-res scans of the entire front and back covers to the "Please Grade My..." forum topic for further opinions.  

Thanks dj,

Sometimes the truth hurts lol I.appreciate your opinion. I only say a 9.8 because I can save six months +++ wait time and the trouble of grading and just buy one at 9.4 / 9.6 for 250 or do a walk through but its almost $200 soooo what to do, or do nothing and just sit on it. I appreciate your opinion, I was thinking the front view looks almost flawless. I have full images in grade my book post I discovered after posting this. I can add them again here i you think...

On 1/10/2022 at 7:27 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

If you only want a 9.8, then I suggest buying an already-graded 9.8 from someone else. 2c

Spine tics like that typically keep it out of the 9.8 range.

LOL yeah that would be easier than waiting months or one to be graded anyway. Im curious about the spine rub from shipping that runs along the whole spine on are edge. Is that counted as a tic??

On 1/7/2022 at 3:35 PM, Demetri said:

I want to send this book to CGC but only want a 9.8 (ha ha dont we all)

Ok, here is the ONLY thing you can do to ensure a 9.8 slab from this. Find a local dealer who sends other people's books to CGC in high volume. Because CGC has an actual option where you can ask them to only slab it if it's a 9.8. If it's not a 9.8, they won't slab it and only charge you an $8 rejection fee. But if they are sure it gets a 9.8, they will slab it. 

Problem is, they only do that if you ask for that kind of screening for 25 comics. Hence why I said you are best to find a local dealer/retailer who also asks CGC to only slab their comics if it gets a 9.8.