• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Deciding on First (somewhat expensive) Purchase
6 6

77 posts in this topic

So, I am relatively new to comic collecting (been on and off for a long time, but never serious since he late 80s) and am contemplating purchasing a CGC of an iconic cover/issue to display in my office/geek cave.  I am not new to collecting or grading overall (I have a good sized graded baseball card collection).  I typically value the look of a 9.8 over an older lesser condition book, but could be convinced otherwise (although nostalgia plays a role here over investment potential, so think 80s+). 

What I am looking for is advice on which of the following to buy (or other ideas in the same price range) that is least likely to lose a lot of value (I am not looking for an investment, but don’t want to buy something that might be 30% less in 6 months). 
The list (all 9.8):

ASM 361

ASM 316

Incredible Hulk 340

Avengers 196

Edited by The bard

On 1/7/2022 at 4:52 PM, The bard said:

So, I am relatively new to comic collecting (been on and off for a long time, but never serious since he late 80s) and am contemplating purchasing a CGC of an iconic cover/issue to display in my office/geek cave.  I am not new to collecting or grading overall (I have a good sized graded baseball card collection).  I typically value the look of a 9.8 over an older lesser condition book, but could be convinced otherwise (although nostalgia plays a role here over investment potential, so think 80s+). 

What I am looking for is advice on which of the following to buy (or other ideas in the same price range) that is least likely to lose a lot of value (I am not looking for an investment, but don’t want to buy something that might be 30% less in 6 months). 
The list (all 9.8):

ASM 361

ASM 316

Incredible Hulk 340

Avengers 196

dark knight returns 1!plus classic cover(thumbsu

340 is an iconic McFarlane cover, used as a poster and just great to look at. That said, that is all it has going for it.

316 is new to the game and price has exploded, I think this is most likely to come back down among your 4

196 never did it for me but I wasn't reading the title then

361 is fun fun fun but like the man said above, these are all up lately and this one especially. but among your 4 I think this is most durable long term

340 is hard to beat if you just want to look though

The list (all 9.8):

ASM 361

ASM 316

Incredible Hulk 340

Avengers 196

Yes, you should absolutely buy all of these at whatever price the seller is asking. Buy immediately, and wait then sell for profit!!  YOU'RE A WINNER.

The list (all 9.8):

ASM 361

ASM 316

Incredible Hulk 340

Avengers 196

giphy-24.gif

If you really love these books, then I would probably say 361 has the most long term value. 316 is actually my favorite cover, but that's personal preference. 

If I were going to spend 4 figures on one book and I was worried about the value dropping, I would probably go for a SA book. Lower grade FF3 comes to mind for this price range (without actually researching anything so excuse me if I'm off). 

Edited by KCOComics

Your first slab buy might not be the best idea to go for profit but for a book you always sought after!or a signature series of an artist you like even if not key books

I guess I wasn’t clear with my request. I am not looking to make a buck, but don’t have a good history on comic pricing and don’t want to buy something that’s had a huge recent run up (obviously everything is up since COVID, but you know what I mean) and has a good chance of being substantially cheaper in a few months. The comics I referenced were covers I think look good from series I like (also considered Avengers 223, Batman 428(although not a great cover IMO), and a few others). It just happened that some of the books I like most were expensive (technically my first purchase was Advanced Dungeons and Dragons #1 9.8, a book I loved as a kid and my second will be Hawkeye (the 1983 series) 1, which I assume ran up due to D+).  I am just trying to avoid buying something that ran up more than the general run up since COVID or that hasn’t fallen back from its early 21 highs yet. 

Have you looked at the census numbers to help you decide? There are a TON more ASM 361's than Hulk 340's and ASM316's. If it were my money and my situation, I'd go Hulk 340 every single day. There's fewer graded, it's a less popular title than ASM, so my brain equates that to less supply (both graded and raw). It's an iconic McFarlane cover but it's also really simple and clearly digestible. I look at 361 and to me it seems too busy; it takes a few seconds for my brain to get oriented and figure out what I'm looking at.

I think all four have similar risk in the medium term that you’re talking about, but if you’re looking for just one for a long-term display and just don’t want to lose money, as long they recover at some point to your purchase number that’s fine, correct?

If so, I like Hulk 340. Those 2 eventually meet in a Disney movie at some point, and it’s not a bad bet that the movie poster looks like that even if the story is totally unrelated. It isn’t much of a read, but it’s a McFarlane cover in an iconic cover slabbed world. And it’s such a perfect snapshot of the relationship between these 2 intertwined characters.

Carnage is probably my next pick, as it’s a 1st appearance Spidey villain who is sure to keep getting recycled over the years but there’s just so dang many copies that it’s probably a little more subject to that volatility you’re trying to avoid.

Of those listed, it’s HULK 340 for me.

Last sale $1400

Down from a 2021 high of $2400

In time....a classic cover.

And the eventual meeting of Wolvy and Hulk in the MCU will give it a big boost down the road if prices slide south for a bit.2c

Out of that list, Hulk 340 for sure.  It’s a classic cover.
I like ASM 316 as well. It’s a great cover as well (and 1st Venom cover). 
Buy them both in 9.6 for the price of one 9.8.  
You won’t be able to tell the difference if you cover up that label.

Edited by chrisco37

The list (all 9.8):

ASM 361

ASM 316

Incredible Hulk 340

Avengers 196

Perfect time to buy 361. Movie is over,  carnage is dead.  Prices and speculators have moved on.  

1st appearance of a very popular villain.  This is blue chip.  

This is the one. Though get a newsstand since you will have a lot of choices.... before the movie...I remember 9.8 newsstands were nearing 1400. Now it's dropped.  Time to buy. 

Okay, it sounds like you are set on a 9.8 from the 1980s that has some nostalgic appeal.  Nostalgia for other people is hard to judge.

I have a lot of nostalgia for a lot of books in the 80s, but it might not match your nostalgia.  The four books you listed are very popular.  I would lean towards the ASM 361 because I’m a Spidey guy and I’d rather have a 1st appearance rather than “just” a cool cover ( although 316 is a pretty darn cool cover ).

Some nostalgic choices I would consider for myself ( given the constraints of 9.8 from the 80s )

A set of 9.8 ASM 229 and 230.  These aren’t really keys, but those books have one of the coolest Spidey stories from the 80s, I like the covers and they are not super expensive.

A set of 9.8 ASM 249, 250, and 251.  Likewise, a cool story with little speculator run-up.

Spectacular Spiderman 64.  First Cloak and Dagger. 

I don’t typically buy graded 80s books, so take my recommendations with a grain of salt.  

On 1/7/2022 at 1:52 PM, The bard said:

On 1/7/2022 at 7:06 PM, The bard said:

I guess I wasn’t clear with my request. I am not looking to make a buck, but don’t have a good history on comic pricing and don’t want to buy something that’s had a huge recent run up (obviously everything is up since COVID, but you know what I mean) and has a good chance of being substantially cheaper in a few months.

The problem that you have here is that you picked 4 books that have all had pretty big recent run ups in prices and which actually all have a pretty good chance of being down by 30% or even a whole lot more before the year is out.  :gossip:  doh!

Based upon your purchasing criteria, like others have already stated here, Hulk 340 is clearly your safest bet here and I wouldn't even touch the other 3 books if you are truly worried about the bottom falling out of your books here.  :wishluck: