• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Deciding on First (somewhat expensive) Purchase
6 6

77 posts in this topic

Limiting yourself to slabbed 9.8 books, and I assume capping your budget at whatever the going rate currently is for the books you listed, pretty much means moderns only. And hoping to buy modern 9.8s within this budget range means you are always going to have to worry about losing a bunch of value on the whim of speculators.

I'd take the same budget and put it into the nicest bronze keys I could that I was after instead.

What made you come up with this list of yours in the first place?

I’m sorry to say, but it just felt like a speculator list. 

I would recommend reading these books first, and then buying one, or two, you genuinely found exciting. 

Just my humble opinion, but there is a lot I can do with $1,500 before spending it on a comic book I haven’t read and loved. 

when I offer that one for sale I just say "Spidey nut-punch $X"

to be fair...Hulk 140 is off in some ways too. The claws are odd but the cover so awesome in concept, the reflection in the claws is brilliant, that you can do some suspension of disbelief on it. You want the claws to be coming at you but they are not, Wolvie isn't slashing he is posturing/threatening. And the claws are ginormous. But Todd knows what he is doing so the end result is crazy cool.

On 1/7/2022 at 4:52 PM, The bard said:

So, I am relatively new to comic collecting (been on and off for a long time, but never serious since he late 80s) and am contemplating purchasing a CGC of an iconic cover/issue to display in my office/geek cave.  I am not new to collecting or grading overall (I have a good sized graded baseball card collection).  I typically value the look of a 9.8 over an older lesser condition book, but could be convinced otherwise (although nostalgia plays a role here over investment potential, so think 80s+). 

What I am looking for is advice on which of the following to buy (or other ideas in the same price range) that is least likely to lose a lot of value (I am not looking for an investment, but don’t want to buy something that might be 30% less in 6 months). 
The list (all 9.8):

ASM 361

ASM 316

Incredible Hulk 340

Avengers 196

Hulk 340 followed by ASM 316. They are both copper age classics that are tough to beat. I own both. I almost sold my 340 9.8 during the frenzy of last year, but did not. I did sell my 316 9.8 in the runup but kept a 9.6. I'll buy the 9.8 again, I am sure. I grew up buying and reading these books of the stands. There are few copper books that top McFarlane covers for me given the nostalgia. People can carp on prices and buyers paying for common books all day, but it is only money. If you enjoy it, who cares. 

On 1/8/2022 at 10:38 AM, Bird said:

when I offer that one for sale I just say "Spidey nut-punch $X"

to be fair...Hulk 140 is off in some ways too. The claws are odd but the cover so awesome in concept, the reflection in the claws is brilliant, that you can do some suspension of disbelief on it. You want the claws to be coming at you but they are not, Wolvie isn't slashing he is posturing/threatening. And the claws are ginormous. But Todd knows what he is doing so the end result is crazy cool.

After looking at your post and looking at the cover......it's the angle of the claws for me. It is now something I can't unsee.

Aaaaaannnndd You ruined it - That Would Be Great (Office Space Bill  Lumbergh) | Make a Meme

Edited by unclezebo

On 1/8/2022 at 12:51 PM, Shrevvy said:

but it is only money.

THIS!

Too many treat money as a primary reinforcer, it is meant as a secondary reinforcer (meaning you want it to use to get what you really want). Money is not the goal, buying things with the money to provide comfort, security and yes, fun!

While I am on the reinforcer topic, too many of y'all also treat comics that way! Marie Kondo that storage unit people!

Come on now just pick the one YOU like the best. Does it really matter what everyone else's opinion is? If everyone said go with xxx and you were kind of leaning towards another book, are you going to go with what we say? You gonna go out and purchase an old Buick because a bunch of people on the internet told you to?

On 1/7/2022 at 1:52 PM, The bard said:

So, I am relatively new to comic collecting (been on and off for a long time, but never serious since he late 80s) and am contemplating purchasing a CGC of an iconic cover/issue to display in my office/geek cave.  I am not new to collecting or grading overall (I have a good sized graded baseball card collection).  I typically value the look of a 9.8 over an older lesser condition book, but could be convinced otherwise (although nostalgia plays a role here over investment potential, so think 80s+). 

What I am looking for is advice on which of the following to buy (or other ideas in the same price range) that is least likely to lose a lot of value (I am not looking for an investment, but don’t want to buy something that might be 30% less in 6 months). 
The list (all 9.8):

ASM 361

ASM 316

Incredible Hulk 340

Avengers 196

Get em all for about tree-fiddy...🤔