• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Deciding on First (somewhat expensive) Purchase
6 6

77 posts in this topic

On 1/9/2022 at 8:44 PM, Randall Ries said:

Why not buy something that's actually valuable or at least has a track record of slow, incremental growth? I bought an HOS 92, a Bat 251 and Bat 232. And so forth.

There has to be Marvel counterparts. Books that don't go ***POOF*** in the night. Or books that we don't have to sweat every day. An Iron Man 1? An FF 112? That thing is fire right now. ASM 121? 129? I can't see where a collector could go wrong with those books.

Stan Lee once said that the Golden Age books are the ones that are actually valuable. The ones to be proud to be a custodian of. I think we are at the point the same can be now said of late silver/early bronze. A lot happened then.

Have you read the OPs posts?:facepalm:

On 1/9/2022 at 9:34 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Have you read the OPs posts?:facepalm:

I read the opening post, yes. He wants a book to display in his office. He could be convinced otherwise. I took it out of the 1980's and suggested books with actual value along with a coolness factor. He does not need to consider my suggestion.

On 1/10/2022 at 7:25 AM, Randall Ries said:

I read the opening post, yes. He wants a book to display in his office. He could be convinced otherwise. I took it out of the 1980's and suggested books with actual value along with a coolness factor. He does not need to consider my suggestion.

And how are you determining what has "actual value"?

First, thank you all for the input on my poorly worded original question. 

After looking through my graded baseball card spreadsheet (which includes when I bought, what I paid, but also my wants list and their price when added to my list), I realized I was about to make the same “mistake” I made on comics that I did with baseball:  that of prioritizing things I had nostalgia for over the rarer/more expensive wants further down my list (because while I can still afford say a ASM 361 if it doubles, I couldn’t afford say a 9.6 ASM 121 if it does too).  Thus, I have done some reordering and am now trying to decide between ASM 121 or 122 in 9.6 or a 238 in 9.8 as my “first” pickup (I will likely only get one of these 3 at least for a while) and then will target the lower pop stuff before larger pop cheaper modern stuff  (learning from some of my baseball regrets). 

On 1/11/2022 at 11:45 AM, The bard said:

After looking through my graded baseball card spreadsheet (which includes when I bought, what I paid, but also my wants list and their price when added to my list), I realized I was about to make the same “mistake” I made on comics that I did with baseball:  that of prioritizing things I had nostalgia for over the rarer/more expensive wants further down my list (because while I can still afford say a ASM 361 if it doubles, I couldn’t afford say a 9.6 ASM 121 if it does too).  Thus, I have done some reordering and am now trying to decide between ASM 121 or 122 in 9.6 or a 238 in 9.8 as my “first” pickup (I will likely only get one of these 3 at least for a while) and then will target the lower pop stuff before larger pop cheaper modern stuff  (learning from some of my baseball regrets). 

Good man (I assume. LOL!)

I try to never tell anyone what to get. You love what you love. But I have discovered the newer books are HEAVILY speculated on and they go UP! Then dooowwwwn. Through it all, there have always been books that are the backbone of the hobby and have increased not only in value in a reasonable fashion but also in desirability. There ARE some nutsy books like IH 181 or even HOS 92 which exploded suddenly when Wrightson died but mainly they steadily increase in a reasonable fashion.

I personally think you will thank yourself for this decision later on. Just IMO, but I would get the Gwen Stacy "death" issue first. That thing will never go out of vogue. It'll look good on a wall, too. Out of sunlight, of course. Or ANY glaring light.

On 1/11/2022 at 11:45 AM, The bard said:

ASM 238 would be the last one on my list, but then I have no attachment to it at all.

As for nostalgia, your nostalgia picks are the same as a lot of others (like me) who have nostalgia and now have money.  When I got back into this in 2019, I didn't ask for advice, or do any research whatsoever.  I thought back to the stuff I liked as a kid, and just got all my nostalgia picks: Basically any McFarlanes (especially H340, ASM 298-328, Spidey Plat), Lee/Claremont X-Men (basically X 200-300), Ninja Turtles, GI Joe, Transformers, anything Wolverine, Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, Infinity Gauntlet, etc.  Didn't have a chart or anything, and I did zero analysis.  Literally just thought of stuff I liked as a kid and bought it.  I can assure you, it was not a mistake--not a mistake because I love looking at them and being reminded of reading them for the first time, and not a financial mistake as most of them have quadrupled or more in value.  Not saying it'll go up like that again, but nostalgia isn't always a mistake.

And, at least in my case, I wouldn't have cared if it went down.  That's the added benefit of buying what you love.   

Edited by Poekaymon