• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's SCOTT PILGRIM anime series starring Michael Cera, Mary Elizabeth Winstead (2023)
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Netflix is developing a “Scott Pilgrim” anime series, Variety has confirmed with sources.

The show would be produced by UCP. Bryan Lee O’Malley, who created the “Scott Pilgrim” graphic novel series, would write and executive produce the anime version along with BenDavid Grabinski. The pair would also serve as co-showrunners.

Science SARU would provide the animation. Eunyoung Choi of Science SARU will produce with Abel Gongora onboard to direct. Edgar Wright, who was behind the film “Scott Pilgrim vs. The World,” would executive produce alongside Nira Park, Marc Platt, Jared LeBoff, and Adam Seigel of Marc Platt Productions as well as Michael Bacall

Edited by Bosco685

At one point, he says, “I really didn’t know if I was going to keep being an actor.” But he had already signed up for Edgar Wright’s 2010 film Scott Pilgrim vs The World, which essentially pulled him through.

“I was already committed to it, and went and did it, and obviously feel so grateful that that happened.” He did a Kenneth Lonergan play, two films in Chile with the Chilean film-maker Sebastián Silva, co-created a YouTube comedy channel where he posted shorts he’d written or directed, and joined an indie band. That period, he says, was about trying to work out what he wanted. “I knew that it wasn’t just like constantly fanning the flames to get bigger and bigger. I knew that wasn’t really my goal. I think I wanted to be a working actor who can enjoy my day-to-day life, and the world that I’ve created for myself. I think that was the overall thing I was trying to figure out.”

Screenshot of O'Malley's IG story emphasizing that it's not going to be line-for-line. I'm excited to see what Science Saru does with the character designs because they did such a great job adapting Devilman and Star Wars visually. And as long as Envy Adams gets more of a personality than she did in the movie, I'll be satisfied; I think she's one of the most underrated developments in the books.

F4E-Yu0XIAAkIrh.jpg

The Scott Pilgrim universe is rapidly expanding. After Bryan Lee O’Malley’s original run of comics there was Edgar Wright’s cult classic movie, and a side-scrolling video game – and next up, it’s being retold in anime form in Scott Pilgrim Takes Off, with all of the cast of Scott Pilgrim Vs The World reprising their roles. Yep, Michael Cera, Kieran Culkin, Chris Evans, Brie Larson, Anna Kendrick, Aubrey Plaza, the whole gang. And it sounds like the shift to animation has allowed it to go very, very big.

“There’s an extended fight sequence in Episodes 2 and 3 that, if this was a live-action movie, would cost more than Avatar,” series co-writer BenDavid Grabinski tells Empire. “It would be so unbelievably big. And you don’t have to think that way. You’re not limited.” Such are the benefits of anime, and particularly of teaming up with celebrated animation house Science SARU. “If you made a live-action movie of the show that we did, I think it would be the most expensive movie ever, and you’d be shooting for ten years,” Grabinski says. “It would be a total Hearts Of Darkness situation.”

That chance to experiment was something that wasn’t lost on Grabinski. “Some of my favourite stuff in the season was not in our outlines, was not planned at all, and came way late in the process,” he says. “Sometimes you’d just be like, ‘Wait, we live in a world that has vegan powers and people bursting into song. Why are we doing this normal plot-point here?’ There’s just so many opportunities for your imagination to run wild.”

All of which goes into creating a Scott Pilgrim which you’ll definitely recognise, but which should still surprise you. “In the same way that Edgar was so respectful of the books, I want these all to be in conversation with each other,” he says. “You can watch the movie and then go read the books, you can read the books and watch the movie, you can watch our show, then play the game, then read the books, then watch the movie. The order doesn’t really matter — they all kind of feed off each other.” Expect more hits than a Sex Bob-Omb setlist.

Scott Pilgrim Takes Off

Scott Pilgrim Takes Off – exclusive

This whole attitude around the show is really getting me excited and is exactly what I'm looking for in animation... it's such a flexible medium with so many talented artist; why not go as far and insane with it as you can? All of the best adaptations in the past 20 years have chosen to do something emotionally faithful but artistically and narratively unique. 

On 11/17/2023 at 12:36 PM, Rodey said:

Has anyone watched this yet?

I've watched the first three episodes.

Fun retelling of the movie story. But with its own unique take. It does feel familiar hearing the same voices coming across as a continuation of the film.

We'll see how it progresses.