• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Collection Was Stolen (Los Angeles)
2 2

98 posts in this topic

On 1/13/2022 at 12:16 PM, Robot Man said:

Some better and some worse. As you know a VERY big and diverse area.

One thing for sure. The weather and climate is hard to beat all year long. 

I don’t hate Los Angeles. LA allowed me to achieve my childhood dreams and set me up for life.

I just get bitter because LA, as amazing as it is, could be SO much more. They are paved with good (or feel good) intentions that make things horrible at times.  There are neighborhoods you cant walk around in at all.

An off duty cop was murdered just the other day while looking at a house to buy with his girlfriend. Another young guy killed while sitting in his car watching the National Championship. Same day…neither did anything wrong. 

Homelessness for example. We would all like to help those with nowhere to live, especially families. But that only works with those who want help. Those that want that life or have severe mental illnesses are allowed to do really bad things that impact the good citizens in the name of “fairness.”

On 1/11/2022 at 11:11 AM, HighRadArt said:
On 1/11/2022 at 11:04 AM, oakman29 said:

I have a 1929 Oakland 3 window business coupe. Oakland became Pontiac in 1930 so it's a rare beast 

On 1/11/2022 at 11:03 AM, chrisco37 said:

Then why do you call yourself that?  

So weird.  

I find it weird that you got oakland from oakman?

It happens.  One word-Justin.

On 1/7/2022 at 6:48 PM, j9v said:

Over the holidays we had a break in at the house and half of my graded comics were stolen. 

On 1/7/2022 at 7:59 PM, Axelrod said:

Sadly, the thief will likely take them out of the cases, but the sooner you can get a list of the exact books involved - as the above posted suggested, to the police, local comic shops, pawn shops - the better.  As the most likely way they get caught is trying to unload a bunch of books at the same time.  

history shows this is not true.  especially non collector thieves of opportunity.  they leave em in the cases, try to sell to comic shop or on craig's list.  sometimes pawn shop.

On 1/13/2022 at 4:02 PM, Robot Man said:

Downtown SF and east Oakland, maybe a little dicey but some great areas just a short Bart ride away. 

The best part of SF is its proximity to things.  4 hours to Yosemite, 3 hours to Tahoe, 2 hours to Carmel, 1 hour to wine country.  Beyond that, the City is a dump compared to other major metropolises.  The public transit is non-existent, the buildings are dated and unkept, and the bars are terrible.  I always compare SF to like a frat house: fun to visit, but not where I'd want to live.

(Note: I live in the Bay Area, so when I say I wouldn't live in SF, I only mean SF proper.  The surrounding suburban areas are clean, have plenty of parking, shops, restaurants, parks, and most importantly, much better weather.)

On 1/13/2022 at 8:26 PM, CAHokie said:

Homelessness for example. We would all like to help those with nowhere to live, especially families. But that only works with those who want help. Those that want that life or have severe mental illnesses are allowed to do really bad things that impact the good citizens in the name of “fairness.”

The homeless problem is truly brutal. Warm climates attract the homeless because they can sleep anywhere so the West coast is prime real estate for them and LA is a gold mine. Lots of money, drugs and perfect weather. 

I don't dislike homeless people. I actually know several in my neck of the woods and keep in touch with them, but it is a very difficult problem to tackle.

I don't know that I've ever seen a homeless problem like I have in LA. I've watched it grow from small pockets of tents to literally tents everywhere in the last year or two. Lining tourist areas, over and under freeways. Literally tent villages in some areas. 

When I was in LA they cleared up Venice Beach. There was literally MILES of homeless tents along the boardwalk, one after the next and then one day they were all gone. 

On 1/13/2022 at 7:26 PM, VintageComics said:

The homeless problem is truly brutal. Warm climates attract the homeless because they can sleep anywhere so the West coast is prime real estate for them and LA is a gold mine. Lots of money, drugs and perfect weather. 

I don't dislike homeless people. I actually know several in my neck of the woods and keep in touch with them, but it is a very difficult problem to tackle.

I don't know that I've ever seen a homeless problem like I have in LA. I've watched it grow from small pockets of tents to literally tents everywhere in the last year or two. Lining tourist areas, over and under freeways. Literally tent villages in some areas. 

When I was in LA they cleared up Venice Beach. There was literally MILES of homeless tents along the boardwalk, one after the next and then one day they were all gone. 

It's only gotten worst since the start of covid.  SF/Oakland is the same where you have "tent cities" under freeways, next to train tracks, etc.  The city eventually comes in and clears them out but all they're doing is displacing them from one location to another.  I'll see a tent city one day and it'll be gone the next only to reappear a few months later.  It's not a solution, it's just a means for which the city can come in and temporarily clean the area.

On 1/13/2022 at 9:26 PM, aszumilo said:

He has not been back since he started this thread.

It looks like he doesnt post much but I did ask him about it when it first happened. I don’t think he would mind me sharing that it happened in the downtown..ish area.  I will keep an eye out but that area is close to so many others it will be difficult for sure.

I really dont even know what to look for but the sticker thing.

On 1/14/2022 at 8:08 AM, CAHokie said:

It looks like he doesnt post much but I did ask him about it when it first happened. I don’t think he would mind me sharing that it happened in the downtown..ish area.  I will keep an eye out but that area is close to so many others it will be difficult for sure.

This is a very helpful community. If he shares some information there are many people who would be glad to help.

The post and run and the vague info is a little disconcerting. 

On 1/14/2022 at 5:08 AM, CAHokie said:

did he say why he asked a question then vanished?  I'm always so curious about drive-by shouters.

On 1/14/2022 at 10:54 AM, Crops068 said:

I mean if I came back and my post was 4 pages long, I would keep right on trucking too.

Even if ppl were aksing like where di this happen so I can keep a look out or other pertinent questions to try to help or come back with a list of the books or-

What a nightmare.

My file drawers have locks on them. Thats where I keep my slabs BUT I dont lock the cabinet that holds the big money books. Reverse psychology. Theyll think the good stuff is in the locked drawers and bypass the unlocked one.

Genius, I know.

I also have a ferret that I let have the run of the house while im at work. He knows what to do.

On 1/14/2022 at 1:01 PM, kav said:

did he say why he asked a question then vanished?  I'm always so curious about drive-by shouters.

I asked him the day he posted about location. I didnt ask for daily updates, lol

On 1/14/2022 at 11:33 AM, CAHokie said:

I asked him the day he posted about location. I didnt ask for daily updates, lol

My point abt drive by shouters is they show up, post their issue, then ppl respond with questions to try to help but nope theyre gone.

Hey guys from now on when someone shows up and omg my collection was stolen and stuff wont say where wont say what pls just quote their post and say "pls before we invest time and thought into your issue reply to this to prove youre not another drive by shouter-we get a lot of em here".

Edited by kav
misplaced a quotation mark just deal with it.