• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Collection Was Stolen (Los Angeles)
2 2

98 posts in this topic

On 1/11/2022 at 11:45 AM, Robot Man said:

The bigger the city, the higher the crime rate. With a city of 6M, there is bound to be more crime. I have never seen large groups of armed thugs running up and down the streets…

On the bright side, I doubt many places in the country looked like this this morning…

6B80F693-BF7B-4510-9D7C-928E41587467.jpeg

After the recent train robberies in L.A., I had trouble duplicating your picture. :baiting:

TrainRobbery.thumb.jpg.4c467855cebd10bda295adb9c9081061.jpg

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 1/18/2022 at 10:55 PM, j9v said:

seeing some people on here upset that I haven't provided a list of the stolen books, or additional info.  it's a slow and painful process to go through my cgc registry and compare it to the books that remain.  it will take some time, but I'll post the list of missing books as soon as I gather them.

i am near the downtown LA area, closer to pasdena.  

yes, i do have home insurance which will cover some of the loss, but to be honest it's not about the cash or replacing the books.  so much of the collection is stuff i bought off the shelf, enjoyed and cared for.  sad to have all that time and energy wiped out because some insufficiently_thoughtful_persons saw a way to make a quick buck.

regardless, i appreciate everyone who took the time to submit valuable information.

the people who made it about los angeles being a city, thanks for reminding me why i don't engage in boards or social.  

hope everyone's having a great new year.

FYI, there is a comic con this weekend at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium. You might want to show up early and spread the word. Also on Feb 6th in Santa Clarita is the Valley Con. These would be prime places for the theives to move these books.

Very sorry about your situation and really hope you get your books back…

On 1/14/2022 at 1:11 PM, lostboys said:

What a nightmare.

My file drawers have locks on them. Thats where I keep my slabs BUT I dont lock the cabinet that holds the big money books. Reverse psychology. Theyll think the good stuff is in the locked drawers and bypass the unlocked one.

Genius, I know.

I also have a ferret that I let have the run of the house while im at work. He knows what to do.

Criminals usually go for the easy stuff, to get out quickly. They might only get the high dollar books, if that's the only drawer unlocked.

On 1/19/2022 at 8:15 AM, buttock said:

I spent a few days in SF last year.  I was disappointed when by the second to last day I hadn't seen a homeless guy pooping on the street, until by sheer divine providence my girl and I got to witness that beautiful spectacle of nature.  The guy was so nice also, after he pulled up his pants... all 3 layers of them... in front of the bus stop, he used a newspaper to pick up his poo.  I thought about suggesting that next time he just put the newspaper down on the ground as it would be much easier, but he clearly had a system.  

I remember my first trip to Europe. Stepped off the train in Paris. There was a guy that just whipped it out and peed in the gutter. Just shook it off, zipped up and kept walking. No one even gave him a second glance.

On 1/18/2022 at 11:55 PM, j9v said:

seeing some people on here upset that I haven't provided a list of the stolen books, or additional info.  it's a slow and painful process to go through my cgc registry and compare it to the books that remain.  it will take some time, but I'll post the list of missing books as soon as I gather them.

i am near the downtown LA area, closer to pasdena.  

yes, i do have home insurance which will cover some of the loss, but to be honest it's not about the cash or replacing the books.  so much of the collection is stuff i bought off the shelf, enjoyed and cared for.  sad to have all that time and energy wiped out because some insufficiently_thoughtful_persons saw a way to make a quick buck.

regardless, i appreciate everyone who took the time to submit valuable information.

the people who made it about los angeles being a city, thanks for reminding me why i don't engage in boards or social.  

hope everyone's having a great new year.

Please post the list as quickly as possible.  There are a lot of collectors here and the more eyeballs looking for these books the better.

On 1/19/2022 at 11:30 AM, D84 said:

Criminals usually go for the easy stuff, to get out quickly. They might only get the high dollar books, if that's the only drawer unlocked.

It's just a file cabinet. You could literally pull the draw open aggressively and it'd probably break the lock. 

On 1/19/2022 at 11:07 AM, Robot Man said:

FYI, there is a comic con this weekend at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium. You might want to show up early and spread the word. Also on Feb 6th in Santa Clarita is the Valley Con. These would be prime places for the theives to move these books.

Good point, If they know what they got.

What sucks is if its just someone who grabbed them because they were there. They will try pawn shops or online (if they even have that level of sophistication or access). 

OP, Did the comics seem to be the target or just part of the haul?

On 1/19/2022 at 8:07 AM, Robot Man said:

Thanks for the tip!  Will do.

On 1/19/2022 at 11:21 AM, j9v said:

Thanks for the tip!  Will do.

really sounds like a low level criminal who wouldnt even know what a comic con is.  Think low.  pawn shops, comic stores, craig's list, instagram.

On 1/19/2022 at 8:54 AM, Robot Man said:

I remember my first trip to Europe. Stepped off the train in Paris. There was a guy that just whipped it out and peed in the gutter. Just shook it off, zipped up and kept walking. No one even gave him a second glance.