• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Collection Was Stolen (Los Angeles)
2 2

98 posts in this topic

Over the holidays we had a break in at the house and half of my graded comics were stolen. 

All are part of the registry here.  Curious beyond reporting to the police and local comic shops what can be done to prevent the books from being resold? 

I don't believe we were targeted. Thieves broke in and just loaded up on whatever they could carry out.  I'm starting the painful process of checking my remaining comics against the registry to see what's missing. I may post a list of everything that was taken down the road.  It's just going to take a while to make my way through it.

I do want to mention that if anyone gets offered books with a white sticker on the back of the CGC bag they are stolen books. I used this as a means of tracking what I had input into the CGC database.  

Any advice the community can provide is appreciated.  

Be well everyone.

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 6.47.08 PM.png

Sadly, the thief will likely take them out of the cases, but the sooner you can get a list of the exact books involved - as the above posted suggested, to the police, local comic shops, pawn shops - the better.  As the most likely way they get caught is trying to unload a bunch of books at the same time.  

On 1/7/2022 at 6:48 PM, j9v said:

Over the holidays we had a break in at the house and half of my graded comics were stolen. 

On 1/7/2022 at 7:59 PM, Axelrod said:

Sadly, the thief will likely take them out of the cases, but the sooner you can get a list of the exact books involved - as the above posted suggested, to the police, local comic shops, pawn shops - the better.  As the most likely way they get caught is trying to unload a bunch of books at the same time.  

Extremely sorry to hear about your loss and definitely not a fun way to go through the holidays or a happy start to the New Year.  :(

Hopefully, you also have some unique HTF books in there which would help to make it a whole lot easier to identify once the culprits attempt to sell them.  Hopefully, you'll end up being as lucky as Randy Lawrence who was abe to get his Alfred Pennyworth Collection of Batman books back after they were stolen from his storage shed.  :wishluck:

Which part of LA?

You definitely want to hit local stores and let them know. LA area is a huge area with lots of stores.

Also, hit local cons and talk to dealers as they are pretty good at staying on top of this sort of thing. 

On 1/7/2022 at 9:48 PM, j9v said:

All are part of the registry here.  Curious beyond reporting to the police and local comic shops what can be done to prevent the books from being resold? 

I don't believe we were targeted. Thieves broke in and just loaded up on whatever they could carry out.  I'm starting the painful process of checking my remaining comics against the registry to see what's missing. I may post a list of everything that was taken down the road.  It's just going to take a while to make my way through it.

I do want to mention that if anyone gets offered books with a white sticker on the back of the CGC bag they are stolen books. I used this as a means of tracking what I had input into the CGC database.  

Any advice the community can provide is appreciated.  

Be well everyone.

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 6.47.08 PM.png

So sorry to hear about your loss. Will keep my eye out.  Hopefully someone will find them at a local shop. 

It makes me wonder what is the best thing to do.  Leave your best books in a safety deposit box?  Or hide them ? 

On 1/8/2022 at 8:15 AM, Wolverinex said:

So sorry to hear about your loss. Will keep my eye out.  Hopefully someone will find them at a local shop. 

It makes me wonder what is the best thing to do.  Leave your best books in a safety deposit box?  Or hide them ? 

Enjoy your comics out in the open, why be afraid. 

Get a couple German Shepherd's, cameras, a 9mm, and live in a nicer area than Los Angeles. 😂

I'm sorry this happened to you , tough having to deal with the feeling of being violated. 

On 1/10/2022 at 4:09 PM, Tony S said:

German Shepherds shed like no other. LA gets an unfair rap. OAKland :D and Stockton are the crime capitals of California with double the rate of LA.  Indianapolis Indiana has more crime per 100,000 people than every city in CA except Stockton. 

Comic book thieves are universally despised and dealers do not want to buy stolen comics.  Others have said it and I'll repeat. The OP needs a list ASAP and the list needs to go to the places the thieves would try to sell the books at as well as the police. 

I dont live in Oakland,  but okay.🤘

On 1/10/2022 at 8:33 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Apples and oranges. (tsk)

Indianapolis last year:  Cows tipped - 12 per 100,000 people

Los Angeles last year:  Beheadings - 11 per 100,000 people

IIrc from my cattle men newsletter, (it's more of a row crop state) Indiana is closer to the bottom 3rd of cattle in the US California is closer to the top 3rd.

The More You Know | Know Your Meme

On 1/10/2022 at 8:44 AM, oakman29 said:

Enjoy your comics out in the open, why be afraid. 

Get a couple German Shepherd's, cameras, a 9mm, and live in a nicer area than Los Angeles. 😂

I'm sorry this happened to you , tough having to deal with the feeling of being violated. 

I like to put a few of those "front towards enemy" things backwards, just to spice things up. 

On 1/10/2022 at 8:44 AM, oakman29 said:

tough having to deal with the feeling of being violated. 

Not what you said at the time...., no regerts.  :foryou: 

A lot of false information being thrown casually around here… 

The homicide rate is higher per 100,000 people in over half of the OTHER states. Property crime is higher in California than the national average.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/homicide_mortality/homicide.htm