• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Collection Was Stolen (Los Angeles)
2 2

98 posts in this topic

On 1/7/2022 at 6:48 PM, j9v said:

Over the holidays we had a break in at the house and half of my graded comics were stolen. 

All are part of the registry here.  Curious beyond reporting to the police and local comic shops what can be done to prevent the books from being resold? 

I don't believe we were targeted. Thieves broke in and just loaded up on whatever they could carry out.  I'm starting the painful process of checking my remaining comics against the registry to see what's missing. I may post a list of everything that was taken down the road.  It's just going to take a while to make my way through it.

I do want to mention that if anyone gets offered books with a white sticker on the back of the CGC bag they are stolen books. I used this as a means of tracking what I had input into the CGC database.  

Any advice the community can provide is appreciated.  

Be well everyone.

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 6.47.08 PM.png

Something to keep in mind. On Feb 6th, there is the Santa Clarita comic show. Might want to go and pass out flyers early. Would be a prime place for theives to sell their booty…

On 1/11/2022 at 9:45 AM, Robot Man said:

The bigger the city, the higher the crime rate. With a city of 6M, there is bound to be more crime. I have never seen large groups of armed thugs running up and down the streets…

On the bright side, I doubt many places in the country looked like this this morning…

6B80F693-BF7B-4510-9D7C-928E41587467.jpeg

This must have been really early because the last time I was in LA the bumper to bumper traffic was a nightmare.

BTW, hope the op gets his books back.

Edited by HighRadArt

On 1/11/2022 at 11:04 AM, oakman29 said:

I have a 1929 Oakland 3 window business coupe. Oakland became Pontiac in 1930 so it's a rare beast 

On 1/11/2022 at 11:03 AM, chrisco37 said:

Then why do you call yourself that?  

So weird.  

I find it weird that you got oakland from oakman?

So out of curiosity, what would you tell a dealer to do if they were offered an apparently stolen collection?  Act interested and try to get the name and phone number of the seller?  Call the police while the person's in the store or at the show?  Just trying to think what instructions should be put on the flyer suggested by a previous poster.

On 1/11/2022 at 9:45 AM, Robot Man said:

The bigger the city, the higher the crime rate. With a city of 6M, there is bound to be more crime. I have never seen large groups of armed thugs running up and down the streets…

On the bright side, I doubt many places in the country looked like this this morning…

6B80F693-BF7B-4510-9D7C-928E41587467.jpeg

Whats that same drive look like in different parts of the City though?

On 1/12/2022 at 4:46 PM, CAHokie said:

Whats that same drive look like in different parts of the City though?

As someone who spends lots of time in LA, the crime and homeless problem is off the charts. :eek:

In one month, there were 3 serious shootings or attempted shootings within a few city blocks of my hotel.

One guy walked into the Saddle Ranch (a famous Tik Toker / Influencer hang out) with a rifle one night.

A few weeks later several blocks on Fountain St at La Cienega were taped off with multiple shootings.

-----------------------------------

There were also 3 massive car accidents in the space of a few weeks within a few city blocks on Sunset. 

One car rolled down a hill into the side of a hotel from next to the Riot House and crossed Sunset. The fact that it went across Sunset and didn't get T boned was a miracle. 

Another flipped upside down across from Tower records. 

The 3rd was a doozy. A woman mounted the sidewalk in front of a hotel just 10 minutes after I walked past, took out a carbon fiber street pole, dragged it 20 feet, dropped it in front of the hotel and then hit a palm tree down the street. She then ran out and ran away. 

You can't describe some of the crazy you see in that town, and it seems to be getting worse. lol

Car slammed into the side of a hotel.

IMG_20210815_2244449.thumb.jpg.b0d59086b5ef2619a6a107d50e41c590.jpg

Car upside down on Sunset.

IMG_20210724_0244588.thumb.jpg.38b6baf0defc63d8daab12322e591369.jpg

The pole dragged by the Range Rover. The pylon on the back left of the pic is where she hit it and dragged it from. Had I been there 10 minutes later, she'd have dragged me with the pole. I was walking where that pedestrian in the photo is. 

IMG_20210822_1553544.thumb.jpg.9c0d9797b621221f34f49ea400d3271b.jpg

I did get the Pink Floyd poster from the top of the pole. lol

IMG_20210822_1603108.thumb.jpg.1eb01cc9701d4231e7007fa33ccf8734.jpg

Edited by VintageComics

On 1/7/2022 at 7:59 PM, Axelrod said:

Sadly, the thief will likely take them out of the cases, but the sooner you can get a list of the exact books involved - as the above posted suggested, to the police, local comic shops, pawn shops - the better.  As the most likely way they get caught is trying to unload a bunch of books at the same time.  

If they aren’t they will but you’d be surprised how many insufficiently_thoughtful_person burglars there are

On 1/10/2022 at 10:28 PM, sckao said:

A lot of false information being thrown casually around here… 

The homicide rate is higher per 100,000 people in over half of the OTHER states. Property crime is higher in California than the national average.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/homicide_mortality/homicide.htm

If I ever live anywhere else it will be because of financial ruin, or a job offer in Hawaii

On 1/12/2022 at 6:42 PM, VintageComics said:

As someone who spends lots of time in LA, the crime and homeless problem is off the charts. :eek:

In one month, there were 3 serious shootings or attempted shootings within a few city blocks of my hotel.

One guy walked into the Saddle Ranch (a famous Tik Toker / Influencer hang out) with a rifle one night.

A few weeks later several blocks on Fountain St at La Cienega were taped off with multiple shootings.

-----------------------------------

There were also 3 massive car accidents in the space of a few weeks within a few city blocks on Sunset. 

One car rolled down a hill into the side of a hotel from next to the Riot House and crossed Sunset. The fact that it went across Sunset and didn't get T boned was a miracle. 

Another flipped upside down across from Tower records. 

The 3rd was a doozy. A woman mounted the sidewalk in front of a hotel just 10 minutes after I walked past, took out a carbon fiber street pole, dragged it 20 feet, dropped it in front of the hotel and then hit a palm tree down the street. She then ran out and ran away. 

You can't describe some of the crazy you see in that town, and it seems to be getting worse. lol

Car slammed into the side of a hotel.

IMG_20210815_2244449.thumb.jpg.b0d59086b5ef2619a6a107d50e41c590.jpg

Car upside down on Sunset.

IMG_20210724_0244588.thumb.jpg.38b6baf0defc63d8daab12322e591369.jpg

The pole dragged by the Range Rover. The pylon on the back left of the pic is where she hit it and dragged it from. Had I been there 10 minutes later, she'd have dragged me with the pole. I was walking where that pedestrian in the photo is. 

IMG_20210822_1553544.thumb.jpg.9c0d9797b621221f34f49ea400d3271b.jpg

I did get the Pink Floyd poster from the top of the pole. lol

IMG_20210822_1603108.thumb.jpg.1eb01cc9701d4231e7007fa33ccf8734.jpg

I saw spoon in that town that most people wouldn't believe. 

Hell, there were weekly (sometimes more, sometimes less) police car chases televised live. At one job, that I quit pretty quickly, they'd have a betting pool every time one happened. It would cover how many people would die, would the person get away, etc.

On 1/12/2022 at 8:08 PM, D84 said:

I saw spoon in that town that most people wouldn't believe. 

Hell, there were weekly (sometimes more, sometimes less) police car chases televised live. At one job, that I quit pretty quickly, they'd have a betting pool every time one happened. It would cover how many people would die, would the person get away, etc.

Streamer on Twitch shows only live, high speed chases in and around LA. Goes live on average at least once a week :yeehaw:

On 1/12/2022 at 9:31 PM, snitzer said:

Streamer on Twitch shows only live, high speed chases in and around LA. Goes live on average at least once a week :yeehaw:

The first time I ever stepped foot on Sunset Blvd was on a Friday night, NYE weekend many years ago.

I was walking down the street, eyes wide open and just taking in the vibe. It was like everything I'd ever read in those 80's rock magazines. lol

As I walked up toward La Cienega and Sunset, I saw a black Bentley come around the corner onto Sunset heading East, at full throttle. Now, I grew up in the auto industry and those suckers are FAST! The Bentley went around traffic (very common on a Friday night on Sunset during normal times) and took the middle lane, heading into the East like a scalded cat.

Not a few seconds later, there is a cop car chasing the Bentley in hot pursuit. Lights blaring, sirens screaming. He was having trouble keeping up with the Bentley. :whatthe:

That was my 1st intro to West Hollywood.