• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Staple impressions
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I have what is a really nice book. Staple impressions can be seen in front and back cover. Doesn’t tear covers- front or back  I’ve seen this on high grade books but am wondering if this affects the grade? 
I’ve included some pics to hopefully help. Thanks!

FB73A190-9917-4A2A-B1BD-D96498F744B5.jpeg

8C6F2098-67C7-426C-A94E-E819D4F1A353.jpeg

2B6ACDF9-E753-4D0F-B507-BA786D24063A.jpeg

17CD03E9-E71F-4E57-A41C-BE3D8D4A32CB.jpeg

399C47D0-283D-4E53-AA09-03ADEC2B1B90.jpeg

Edited by This is Who We Are

On 1/8/2022 at 9:24 AM, The Lions Den said:

This is a very common issue with square-bounds in general and Warren mags in particular. As long as there are no punctures in the cover (or they're very minor) it shouldn't affect the grade much...  

Thank you so much!  You are always so helpful! Truly appreciate you!

On 1/8/2022 at 12:24 PM, The Lions Den said:

This is a very common issue with square-bounds in general and Warren mags in particular. As long as there are no punctures in the cover (or they're very minor) it shouldn't affect the grade much...  

They can also be greatly reduced or eliminated, if pressed correctly. 

On 1/15/2022 at 10:19 AM, This is Who We Are said:

I don’t believe so- I think this can occur in manufacturing

Correct. I see many new books or books that were stored improperly with staple issues that were never pressed. But staples creating issues when a book is pressed improperly is a real thing. Staples can be popped, poke through covers (especially square bound books) and tear into the centerfold of books.