• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm noticing an increasing number of WTB posts in the WTB section with no grade ranges OR price ranges in the listing.
10 10

Should moderation be active on WTB posts that are vague?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Should moderation be active on WTB posts that are vague?

• Yes?
    • No?

157 posts in this topic

On 1/8/2022 at 10:07 AM, Bird said:

It will never be perfect but some sort of guideline of what you are looking for should be there, I guess a loose range would be preferable to me

That's all I'm talking about. I agree! 

No price is required for me.some info on what you are wanting to buy and grade is useful ,after what it should go in pm conversation between the 2 interested for info and négociation.

On 1/8/2022 at 10:39 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

If someone posts a vague WTB that seems like a waste of time, just ignore it.  Don’t respond with “ you need to post a grade range....”, that merely bumps it back up.

Let it drift quickly off the 1st page.

2c

Couldn't you use the same sort of logic for selling threads that are vague? 

As I full time seller, my perspective is probably slightly different than a casual collector's. The main point is to have some semblance of a minimum requirement that finds a balance between wasting real estate space and people's time and allowing the forum to be a fun and productive place. 

BTW, I edited my 1st post as I think I worded it too harshly. It was late and I was tired. 

To me, the real question is should there be a minimum requirement of EITHER a grade or a price range listed in WTB posts which I think is not unreasonable. 

On 1/8/2022 at 7:52 AM, VintageComics said:

BTW, I edited my 1st post as I think I worded it too harshly. It was late and I was tired. 

To me, the real question is should there be a minimum requirement of EITHER a grade or a price range listed in WTB posts which I think is not unreasonable. 

Grade for sure

Price?  No.  I've always posted a price I'm willing to pay, but as mentioned....it puts the buyer at an immediate disadvantage in some cases.   If I'm looking for a perfectly centered NM or better copy of HULK 162 with white pages ( :baiting: ), the owner looking to sell should post their copy with an asking price.  Of course, I think the potential seller should also be permitted to dangle a sweet copy in front of that potential buyer and say "Make me an offer".

I think my initial wording of the 1st post really sent this thread off in the wrong direction. 

I think either a grade range OR a price range on any WTB post is a very reasonable expectation.

Does anyone disagree with this?

Edited by VintageComics

On 1/8/2022 at 12:07 PM, VintageComics said:

I think my initial wording of the 1st post really sent this thread of in the wrong direction. 

I think either a grade range OR a price range on any WTB post is a very reasonable expectation.

ABCD6F04-FC0E-4795-B568-C56DB53A4BF6.gif.9bebccd53cf9a9df868e55b9e2078a57.gif

On 1/8/2022 at 11:07 AM, VintageComics said:

I think my initial wording of the 1st post really sent this thread of in the wrong direction. 

Agree totally. Anything less is just background noise. 

i have been putting in both. Although I understand a desire to not show your down cards, my philosophy is to put in high prices (that I am willing to pay, of course) in hopes of flushing out a seller who wouldn’t otherwise come out of hiding

On 1/8/2022 at 12:12 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

i have been putting in both. Although I understand a desire to not show your down cards, my philosophy is to put in high prices (that I am willing to pay, of course) in hopes of flushing out a seller who wouldn’t otherwise come out of hiding

That's an excellent point and it illustrates how different buying strategies can be for different folks. 

Most people want to get a copy as cheap as possible but for those who collect the stuff that's hard to find, many have no problem saying "I'll pay $X" to flush a copy out of the woodwork, and I've seen that. I've seen potential buyers say they'll pay over FMV for a book they really want.

GREAT point! 

The reason isn't because posts are vague, it's because people put in posts for no reason which bumps the hell out of everything.  General discussion can go elsewhere.  I don't need to see your Superman socks and how 20 people think it's cool.  I just want to see the sale and the pictures and the grade.  That's it.  

I cannot imagine posting a WTB thread for a particular book without mentioning if grade or price is important. Of COURSE there will be a certain grade you don't want at a price you won't pay. At least have the courtesy of putting in a general range of grades you're looking for. Post grade (or grade range) yes. Post price... well that's negotiable. 

And if by chance grade is NOT important - then say THAT. 

Clarity!

Edited by jcjames