• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm noticing an increasing number of WTB posts in the WTB section with no grade ranges OR price ranges in the listing.
10 10

Should moderation be active on WTB posts that are vague?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Should moderation be active on WTB posts that are vague?

• Yes?
    • No?

157 posts in this topic

On 1/8/2022 at 4:16 PM, VintageComics said:

It sounds like your focus is on price with grade as an afterthought. That's just my perception but I see your point now that I reread it. 

As far as intent, I absolutely have a few enemies that are spiteful against me. I even had two unsolicited PMs today about it from people I hardly ever interact with that have noticed it, so it's not just me. lol

But more to the topic of your post, I'm NOT looking at it as just a seller since I post WTB threads all the time.

I find it disingenuous for comic collectors to state that grades are not important in WTB posts when we're in a hobby where grade is literally more important than price...since people are willing to often OVERPAY for the grade they want and are more conscious of how their books look than how much they cost.

Maybe it's a shift in the hobby and eye appeal doesn't matter as much as it used to. Maybe price is the only important factor nowadays because we have more flippers now than we ever have before...this thread has been very telling without me realizing it was going to be. 

I apologize for misreading your post. :smile:

thank you lol 

On 1/8/2022 at 3:41 PM, Buzzetta said:

My Pet Monster?  Jeezus... I haven't seen one of these let alone even seen a mention of it in decades. 

:roflmao:

Yep.. I have WAY  too many throwbacks..  Also glad at least someone got the reference. 

On 1/8/2022 at 3:36 PM, VintageComics said:

You know what's even more surprising to me than the fact that we have lots of posts without grades listed in WTB posts?

That some people, esp old school collectors  don't care if the grades are not listed.

That's the most surprising thing to me. I didn't even think it would be a discussion. :flamed:

I definitely think some sort of grade range should be required.  You are buying a comic book that can vary wildly in price depending on the condition of the book.  
Here's another thing I see sometimes... WTB post that do specify everything that is needed. They list the book(s), issue number(s), acceptable grade ranges and even "although IMO you shouldn't need to do this"...a price willing to pay!
and THEN....you hear nothing from them when there will be several posts ...like "I've got a copy within your buying parameters or "Here it is..".... 
I thought the WTB was supposed to be for SERIOUS buyers not for "Tire Kicking" to get virtually something for nothing.

Whenever I post a WTB thread, I make sure I have the money to pay for it should some seller have what I'm looking at the price I'm willing to pay.  I want that book and I'm posting a WTB thread because I'm serious about buying it. 
That reminds me..  Looking for a CGC 9.8 copy of Action Comics #1 and #2.......etc...

On 1/8/2022 at 3:47 PM, C. Spaulding said:

Not to derail the conversation but my pet monster tried to steal my Charger about 10 years ago.

C1DEAE4D-636C-4A53-A237-C40D501A9F33.thumb.jpeg.1bf0eccd29055e41a7b509dd19aa4ab1.jpeg

By the time I caught up to him he didn’t care so much anymore.

20A42732-429F-4AC2-8C62-B1711E3D19E4.thumb.jpeg.ba3bf25b84a98a7fdf2dd027348da87f.jpeg

Well he appears to have broken and gotten out of his chains.. 

I’d rather have a rule that requires posters to acknowledge when someone offers something in their thread. Even a simple like is enough.  We’re living in a society, abide by the social contract.   
Tongue partly in cheek.

I voted "No" but I think that if the OP says something stupid we should all be able to make fun of them. Many years ago when I was still on Facebook :facepalm: I'd see people in the comic groups posting the same silly WTB messages all the time. "I'm looking for [insert random key book] but I want a deal".  Eventually people stated making fun of these posts and they stopped. Just my 2c

On 1/8/2022 at 5:18 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

I voted "No" but I think that if the OP says something stupid we should all be able to make fun of them. Many years ago when I was still on Facebook :facepalm: I'd see people in the comic groups posting the same silly WTB messages all the time. "I'm looking for [insert random key book] but I want a deal".  Eventually people stated making fun of these posts and they stopped. Just my 2c

I, too, would like a list of acceptable scenarios where we are allowed to ridicule people.  

On 1/8/2022 at 4:37 PM, Poekaymon said:

If it helps, I voted no and I don't have the first clue who you are.  Just seems unnecessary and Mike is already doing yeoman's work around here.

He wouldn't have to if everyone did their own share of the work. :angel:

On 1/8/2022 at 4:46 PM, skypinkblu said:

When I first read it, the post said one thing, then 11 hours later it was changed.  It might have been easier to understand Roy, @VintageComicsif instead of editing the post, you added your changes at the bottom of the post with the time difference. I'm not sure when the poll started, but some people may have been answering when the question said something totally different

. I know I answered when  the first post said something totally different (you were suggesting that both were needed) , so now my post is answering something that was changed after I wrote my answer.

So...my suggestion is...if someone starts a thread asking a question...maybe don't CHANGE the question and edit out what was there originally, it will be less confusing.

ou. When  the first post said something totally different (you were suggesting that both were needed) , so now my post is answering something that was changed after I wrote my answer.

So...my suggestion is...if someone starts a thread asking a question...maybe don't CHANGE the question and edit out what was there originally, it will be less confusing.

I changed it and announced I was making a change in the thread because I realized the thread title was confusing after I posted it.

But the convo that's come out if it has been decent, so I don't think it's a total loss.

Maybe we should police thread edits too. I'd be in favor of that. 🙃

On 1/8/2022 at 6:00 PM, blazingbob said:

Amazing that a website that is technically FREE when it comes to buying and selling would have to implement anything.

Slap a charge on those buyers and sellers and you are welcome to push for more "moderation"

Your post makes it sound like we shouldn't expect any rules at all because it's free when in fact moderators are going to moderate whether it's free or not.

On 1/8/2022 at 1:47 PM, C. Spaulding said:

Not to derail the conversation but my pet monster tried to steal my Charger about 10 years ago.

C1DEAE4D-636C-4A53-A237-C40D501A9F33.thumb.jpeg.1bf0eccd29055e41a7b509dd19aa4ab1.jpeg

By the time I caught up to him he didn’t care so much anymore.

20A42732-429F-4AC2-8C62-B1711E3D19E4.thumb.jpeg.ba3bf25b84a98a7fdf2dd027348da87f.jpeg

Almost 100 posts in .... this is the most meaningful post in this thread :)