• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm noticing an increasing number of WTB posts in the WTB section with no grade ranges OR price ranges in the listing.
10 10

Should moderation be active on WTB posts that are vague?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Should moderation be active on WTB posts that are vague?

• Yes?
    • No?

157 posts in this topic

On 1/11/2022 at 4:19 PM, Buzzetta said:
On 1/11/2022 at 9:05 AM, VintageComics said:

Oh yeah? Why do you think CGC has raised prices on grading twice in a year and now collects fees for every undervalued book that is submitted?

No, really.  I am currently not paying a cent. 

I love people when people speak with actions. :smile:

On 1/12/2022 at 9:47 AM, blazingbob said:

Hold on,  I'll go get Superman to chime in

The 1960s Superman?

On 1/12/2022 at 9:22 AM, VintageComics said:

I love people when people speak with actions. :smile:

Oh do not misunderstand me.  This is NOT a call to action. 

The only reason I am not submitting books is because I want to protect my own.  I have no problem with everyone else doing so.  In fact, I encourage it.  The more that people send it the more errors on their part.   Let them mess up everyone else's books and only upon damage to your belongings will they eventually change and I will feel comfortable sending in my own. 

Comic books are not a life or death necessity. 

My actions in this matter are strictly to negate loss on my end.  

On 1/11/2022 at 8:52 PM, skypinkblu said:

Shhhhh;)

I think I tried I will pay OVER GPA etc...but it didn't work. I didn't want to limit how much over...still didn't work.

I do have one, but it has some minor resto. 

Well if you wanna sell yours I might be interested if the price is right…. 😃

On 1/10/2022 at 7:12 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Now what will annoy me as a seller is taking the time to PM you with scans and GPA price or realistic market price, but you only want to pay CGC 7.0/7.5 money for it.

Don't waste sellers time with Champagne tastes, but a beer budget.   

To be fair, it was for my personal collection.

Edited by chrisco37

On 1/12/2022 at 12:18 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Almost everything CGC is doing would be ruled a conflict of interest if the right people were to put them under the microscope.  

I’m really not sure what they do that would be a conflict? I’ve never sent in anything for grading as I find it scary to send out to get graded. I own graded books I’ve bought but never sent any in but I’d love to get all of mine done one day. 

On 1/12/2022 at 9:45 PM, Captainwonder said:

Well if you wanna sell yours I might be interested if the price is right…. 😃

I'd have to find an upgrade first...but definitely remind me. 4.0 or better and OW or better;) (I'm that picky this week;)

On 1/12/2022 at 6:24 PM, Buzzetta said:

Oh do not misunderstand me.  This is NOT a call to action. 

The only reason I am not submitting books is because I want to protect my own.  I have no problem with everyone else doing so.  In fact, I encourage it.  The more that people send it the more errors on their part.   Let them mess up everyone else's books and only upon damage to your belongings will they eventually change and I will feel comfortable sending in my own. 

Comic books are not a life or death necessity. 

My actions in this matter are strictly to negate loss on my end.  

I didn't say it was a call to action. I said you spoke with your actions rather than words. 

On 1/12/2022 at 10:56 PM, blazingbob said:

Are we going to storm the CGC building?  Hoist up the CGC Forum For Change flag?  Damn,  I was halfway to florida with my buffalo hat.  

I actually started a new T shirt line. Maybe we should get a pic of you in that Buffalo hat. I have a new T shirt idea. (worship)

On 1/12/2022 at 9:51 PM, Captainwonder said:
On 1/12/2022 at 12:18 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Almost everything CGC is doing would be ruled a conflict of interest if the right people were to put them under the microscope.  

I’m really not sure what they do that would be a conflict? I’ve never sent in anything for grading as I find it scary to send out to get graded. I own graded books I’ve bought but never sent any in but I’d love to get all of mine done one day. 

I would think the relationship between higher grades / higher fees & an in-house grade enhancer could get the conversation started....

But as a submitter, these increased fees and services could work to your benefit if you choose to  use them.

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 1/12/2022 at 7:56 PM, blazingbob said:

Are we going to storm the CGC building?  Hoist up the CGC Forum For Change flag?  Damn,  I was halfway to florida with my buffalo hat.  

Yes - follow the CBCS assets with their bullhorns.

The flip side to this is: a buyer gets very specific about grading and pricing and a seller comes along and offers them a book at the exact grade and price; if the buyer turns the seller down at that point, my guess is some significant percentage of sellers will get salty and claim their time was wasted. So this could potentially create more conflict. We all know how fickle the type of nerds who collect comics can be. 

As a prospective seller, it's probably less aggravating to ignore WTB posts you think are too vague than it is to attempt to fulfill the specific criteria of a WTB post, only to get shot down. More rules sometimes lead to more problems. 

2c

On 1/12/2022 at 10:26 PM, COI said:

The flip side to this is: a buyer gets very specific about grading and pricing and a seller comes along and offers them a book at the exact grade and price; if the buyer turns the seller down at that point, my guess is some significant percentage of sellers will get salty and claim their time was wasted. So this could potentially create more conflict. We all know how fickle the type of nerds who collect comics can be. 

As a prospective seller, it's probably less aggravating to ignore WTB posts you think are too vague than it is to attempt to fulfill the specific criteria of a WTB post, only to get shot down. More rules sometimes lead to more problems. 

2c

This gets at one of the weaknesses I've noticed in the WTB Forum that isn't shared by the Sales Forum.  Some WTB posters seem to want to buy only at gigantic discounts to FMV and seem to be completely clueless that some comics cost real money.  Or perhaps they are otherwise not really serious.  I recently offered a WTB poster a raw book in the grade he said he wanted at a 70 percent discount to the same graded/slabbed book offered at MCS that day, and was told it was out of his price range.  Now, I'm the first to admit that raw books generally don't fetch the same prices as slabbed books and I'm fine with that - there's a cost to slabbing after all.  That's why I offered the raw book at a discount.  But what's the expectation here, on a site where everyone's pretty experienced and FMV is easy to determine for buyers and sellers?  A 90 percent discount to FMV?  A 99 percent discount?  Anybody who posts on here expecting to be offered a $1000 book for $100 is fooling themselves.

On the seller's forum, there is at least an expectation that if you offer a book at a price, you will sell it at that price.  That if you post an :takeit:you're "obligated" to follow through or you could end up on the probation list.  This provides buyers and sellers with some assurance their time and effort isn't being wasted.  WTB posters have zero responsibilities under the current Board rules and some appear to be just clowning the community.