• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If a comic came out in the last 10 years and it’s not a 9.8 is it worth buying
1 1

41 posts in this topic

I see graded 9.8 a lot more than you think these days, I also see lots of mid - low 9’seven more than 9.8 for sale.

Not everyone can get 9.8! And tbh I don’t know anyone getting over 9.8, which seems weird since some of all the 9.8’s must be better than others???

I got to ask you for comics printed in the last 10 years why would you buy a 9.2 when the best is 9.8 and still available to purchase, at some cost but not an unreasonable price?

Maybe you buy it to c&p and bump up the grade?

It’s for personal reasons?

You reinvest in your own low graded books? 

There’s not a lot graded of a certain book? 

Can’t afford high graded books?

Thanks buddy

On 1/8/2022 at 2:27 AM, 815K1 said:

I see graded 9.8 a lot more than you think these days, I also see lots of mid - low 9’seven more than 9.8 for sale.

Not everyone can get 9.8! And tbh I don’t know anyone getting over 9.8, which seems weird since some of all the 9.8’s must be better than others???

I got to ask you for comics printed in the last 10 years why would you buy a 9.2 when the best is 9.8 and still available to purchase, at some cost but not an unreasonable price?

Maybe you buy it to c&p and bump up the grade?

It’s for personal reasons?

You reinvest in your own low graded books? 

There’s not a lot graded of a certain book? 

Can’t afford high graded books?

Thanks buddy

They are, very often imperceptibly, even between many 9.6s to 9.8s, especially encased in a slab. 

Why would someone buy 9.2 and not 9.8? Because the 9.8 has a premium cost that many don't care to pay.

They want a real nice-presenting book, not a nice-presenting number. 

Edited by jcjames

I've only bought one slab lower than 9.8 with a comic that came out in the last ten years. That would be a fourth print of Star Wars: Darth Vader #3 from 2016. It's a 9.6, and it looks fantastic. If a particular issue is rare enough, my desire for a 9.8 wavers. I'm currently feeling that way towards a fifth print of the first issue from that series. I've got my eye on a 9.6 and the price feels right. Just haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. :) 

Just as an FYI - we've been hearing that CGC 9.8 for modern age books is the only grade that makes any sense as an investment for about 20 years.

That advice and all the people repeating it have been wrong, for just about every book that is truly "collectible".

Holland-2021-12-01.png.cda809fc6b836320d4b0b03bf296a4e1.png

https://comics.gpanalysis.com/news/2021/investing-in-cgc-grade-comics-is-higher-grade-better

You're specifically asking about books from the last 10 years, but they'll all be older someday. 

ASM #300 was only 17 years old in 2005.

Edited by valiantman

On 1/9/2022 at 6:45 AM, jcjames said:

They are, very often imperceptibly, even between many 9.6s to 9.8s, especially encased in a slab. 

Why would someone buy 9.2 and not 9.8? Because the 9.8 has a premium cost that many don't care to pay.

They want a real nice-presenting book, not a nice-presenting number. 

Well said JC. 

Ten years ago... probably even five years ago, I would say that I didn't see any reason to not buy a 9.8 for any modern. But it's a very different world today...  I want to own a collection of 9.8's... but now I usually can't justify the redonkulous asking price of a 9.8 when I can't see the flaws with many 9.6's with my own eyes...  For example, I love the concept of the character the Batman Who Laughs and I collect 1st app's of Batman villains.. but I couldn't justify the price difference between 9.6 and 9.8 (over $500 at the time), so I picked up a 9.6 that presents beautifully! 

On 1/9/2022 at 11:56 AM, valiantman said:

Just as an FYI - we've been hearing that CGC 9.8 for modern age books is the only grade that makes any sense as an investment for about 20 years.

That advice and all the people repeating it have been wrong, for just about every book that is truly "collectible".

Holland-2021-12-01.png.cda809fc6b836320d4b0b03bf296a4e1.png

https://comics.gpanalysis.com/news/2021/investing-in-cgc-grade-comics-is-higher-grade-better

You're specifically asking about books from the last 10 years, but they'll all be older someday. 

ASM #300 was only 17 years old in 2005.

We and is kinda did my head in. Are you a company or a third person talking to me?

Thanks buddy good to know all will get older right. Well funny CGC is doing a thing on rare 9.8’s not a lot of numbers like I guess what you’re showing on the ASM. I would like to see that database of rare low print run 9.8’s maybe not even low print run just not many 9.8’s???

also I recently saw a 9.9, no joke I can’t tell how it got it because I don’t know just it’s independent and I’m guessing it came straight off the print run to CGC. You decide… 

Being sold by a comic book shop/company, the king of comics in the land down under…who know how to grade comics but struggle at times to explain their grades, unless graded by CGC of course.

F0DDE365-C23F-4F5A-9492-56FF8C4E486D.jpeg

Edited by 815K1
Too be specific

On 1/8/2022 at 7:56 PM, valiantman said:

we've been hearing that CGC 9.8 for modern age books is the only grade that makes any sense as an investment for about 20 years.

On 1/10/2022 at 7:18 AM, 815K1 said:

We and is kinda did my head in. Are you a company or a third person talking to me?

"We" ("members of this message board") have been hearing that CGC 9.8 for modern age books is ("CGC 9.8 is") the only grade that makes any sense as an investment for about 20 years (on this message board).

I'm sorry if you don't feel comfortable with my correct use of pronoun and verb. :kidaround:

I would like to see that database of rare low print run 9.8’s maybe not even low print run just not many 9.8’s???

I'm not sure what you'd like to see, but the counts for all of the CGC Census can be seen at CGCdata.com - with totals by grade on this page (give it a few seconds to load, it's compiling 20+ years of historical data): http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/totals/

As you can see, there are nearly 3,000,000 books which have been CGC graded 9.8.

There are more than 25,000 books CGC graded 9.9 and another 7,000+ which are CGC 10.

also I recently saw a 9.9, no joke I can’t tell how it got it because I don’t know just it’s independent and I’m guessing it came straight off the print run to CGC. You decide…

Eniac #1 by Bad Idea has a high quality glossy and stiff cover which holds up well against damage.  There are 73 copies in CGC 9.9 condition and a single CGC 10.

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/isolateid/238259

When the cover is nearly indestructible, very high CGC grades can be seen in very high quantities. 

Batman Damned #1 (2018) has more than 1,000 copies graded CGC 9.9 or CGC 10.

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/isolateid/5007265

Edited by valiantman

On 1/11/2022 at 1:33 AM, valiantman said:

we've been hearing that CGC 9.8 for modern age books is the only grade that makes any sense as an investment for about 20 years.

That information is really helpful. I much prefer references with facts.

so thank you 🙏 

You’re ok guy, it’s just your way of speaking. I’m not a teacher, oh yeh I am. Sorry buddy it’s my nature. 

thanks again those links to the data are much appreciated. 

do you have any links to data about print runs?

I just always find this conversation interesting because people come out of the woods to argue against getting 9.8s…

mainly because they are expensive. 

But,

When people buy the book they want, what do they inevitably do?

Upgrade. Upgrade the grade. 

Oh, I have a 9.2, searching for a 9.4 or higher… etc etc. 

So, whatever you hear and whatever people show you and tell you, make no mistake. 

If you don’t buy a 9.8 now, you will want one later. 

So…

On 1/11/2022 at 7:50 AM, D2 said:

I just always find this conversation interesting because people come out of the woods to argue against getting 9.8s…

mainly because they are expensive. 

If you can only get one, then it should be the book you want to own.

If you want to invest, the advice to always pick 9.8 is wrong.

This topic is about what is "worth buying".  That sounds like an investment question.

On 1/11/2022 at 11:57 AM, valiantman said:

If you can only get one, then it should be the book you want to own.

If you want to invest, the advice to always pick 9.8 is wrong.

This topic is about what is "worth buying".  That sounds like an investment question.

Then yes. 

A 9.8 is worth buying. Always. 
Of all the grades, I would say it’s the most sound investment. 

And I won’t pull up ASM 300, literally the hottest book on the market, to prove a point, because whatever point the ASM 300 issue was trying to convey, that is not the case across the board. 

On 1/11/2022 at 9:20 AM, D2 said:

And I won’t pull up ASM 300, literally the hottest book on the market, to prove a point, because whatever point the ASM 300 issue was trying to convey, that is not the case across the board. 

What book would you suggest to convey your point?  As an investment, CGC 9.8 is rarely the best choice, but I'm sure you can back up your claim.

On 1/11/2022 at 12:30 PM, valiantman said:

What book would you suggest to convey your point?  As an investment, CGC 9.8 is rarely the best choice, but I'm sure you can back up your claim.

In Modern?

Any. I’d argue pick a year. Pick a year where the values haven’t increased in 9.8s but have increased in others. 

On 1/11/2022 at 9:33 AM, D2 said:
On 1/11/2022 at 9:30 AM, valiantman said:

In Modern?

Any. I’d argue pick a year. Pick a year where the values haven’t increased in 9.8s but have increased in others. 

So you think a CGC 9.8 going from $100 to $150 is a better investment than when CGC 9.6 goes from $30 to $60? hm

On 1/11/2022 at 12:35 PM, valiantman said:

So you think a CGC 9.8 going from $100 to $150 is a better investment than when CGC 9.6 goes from $30 to $60? hm

I think you’ll have an easier time selling a 9.8

And you’re going to sit on that 9.6

I also think you’ll have more commanding power to stick to your price in a 9.8

And you will be forced to compromise on your price for your 9.6

On 1/11/2022 at 9:37 AM, D2 said:
On 1/11/2022 at 9:35 AM, valiantman said:

I think you’ll have an easier time selling a 9.8

And you’re going to sit on that 9.6

I also think you’ll have more commanding power to stick to your price in a 9.8

And you will be forced to compromise on your price for your 9.6

Tens of thousands of sales on GPAnalysis.com show the actual selling prices, so when it says that a CGC 9.6 went from $30 to $60, no one had to compromise.  Your bias toward CGC 9.8 has you ignoring facts.  I'm certain that pointing this out will just have you doubling-down on being wrong, though, so I don't know why I bother.