• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best current venue for selling books?
1 1

94 posts in this topic

After 15 years on here I feel like I should know this answer, but which is the best (most profitable) venue for auctioning GA books these days, Heritage vs. Comic Connect vs. Clink vs. eBay?

I know Heritage typically has the highest sale prices, but they also seem to take the highest % in fees. 

On 1/8/2022 at 11:05 AM, SuperBird said:

After 15 years on here I feel like I should know this answer, but which is the best (most profitable) venue for auctioning GA books these days, Heritage vs. Comic Connect vs. Clink vs. eBay?

I know Heritage typically has the highest sale prices, but they also seem to take the highest % in fees. 

On 1/8/2022 at 4:01 PM, manofsteel said:

they take the most at about 30%.

HA all the way.  As others will probably say, this is very easily negotiated down even with a modest consignment.  I was given very close to an effective 10% rate a year and a half ago when I let go of about 150 books in order to start pursuing quality over quantity.  My books did phenomenally well, customer service was great, no issues getting paid, shipping was comped etc.  I'm not sure if their cutoffs and calculus have changed with all the people beating down their door to consign with them... but I would absolutely say HA.  I have no doubt whatsoever I'd not have done as well going with CC or CL for what I sold.  Never even considered ebay considering how much more work it would have been for me,

Edited by szav

On 1/8/2022 at 6:18 PM, szav said:

HA all the way.  As others will probably say, this is very easily negotiated down even with a modest consignment.  I was given very close to an effective 10% rate a year and a half ago when I let go of about 150 books in order to start pursuing quality over quantity.  My books did phenomenally well, customer service was great, no issues getting paid, shipping was comped etc.  I'm not sure if their cutoffs and calculus have changed with all the people beating down their door to consign with them... but I would absolutely say HA.  I have no doubt whatsoever I'd not have done as well going with CC or CL for what I sold.  Never even considered ebay considering how much more work it would have been for me,

thanks for the response: as for the 10%, I assume that's on top of the 20% buyer's premium? (in which case, in total, that's the 30% I am referring to)

On 1/9/2022 at 7:41 AM, SuperBird said:

thanks for the response: as for the 10%, I assume that's on top of the 20% buyer's premium? (in which case, in total, that's the 30% I am referring to)

No, he's saying that Heritage will waive the seller's commission and offer a rebate on the Buyer's Premium so that the overall fee he's paying on the total price (hammer + BP) is around 10%.

On 1/8/2022 at 6:53 PM, tth2 said:

No, he's saying that Heritage will waive the seller's commission and offer a rebate on the Buyer's Premium so that the overall fee he's paying on the total price (hammer + BP) is around 10%.

If that’s the case, then definitely HA. I’m going to contact Matt and see what we can come up with. I’ve been debating selling some books. 

On 1/8/2022 at 6:41 PM, SuperBird said:

Last time I sold with them, they took 15% from the final bid, plus they add their 20% on top of the final bid. So, a $1000 bid totals for $1200, and the consignor gets $850. Thats 30% they get.

I've only ever used eBay for selling.  Just sold an EC for $175.00 +$7.00 shipping.  eBay not only bases their fee on the item, but shipping as well, as I'm sure everyone knows.  They ALSO however add it on state sales tax.  So my $175 + shipping became $194.74, for the fees sake. They SAY they only charge 12.55% + .30, but total fee was $24.74. or in the real world, 14.13% of the item. 

On 1/8/2022 at 6:53 PM, tth2 said:

Well if that's the case then the choice is simple. 

On 1/9/2022 at 10:15 AM, SuperBird said:
On 1/9/2022 at 7:53 AM, tth2 said:

Well if that's the case then the choice is simple. 

You have to offer them a big enough consignment to get that kind of deal.

But all things being equal, I would go with Heritage.  Their reach and their service is second to none.

If you can't get that kind of deal, and (i) you're mostly consigning SA and BA Marvels, then I would go with Comiclink, or (ii) you're mostly consigning GA (except for Ducks), then I would go with CC.  If you're consigning Ducks (GA or SA), then go with Heritage regardless.  

On 1/8/2022 at 9:30 PM, tth2 said:

You have to offer them a big enough consignment to get that kind of deal.

But all things being equal, I would go with Heritage.  Their reach and their service is second to none.

If you can't get that kind of deal, and (i) you're mostly consigning SA and BA Marvels, then I would go with Comiclink, or (ii) you're mostly consigning GA (except for Ducks), then I would go with CC.  If you're consigning Ducks (GA or SA), then go with Heritage regardless.  

It's pretty obvious what I'm consigning, as it's basically all I own. :)

On 1/9/2022 at 7:30 AM, SuperBird said:

It's pretty obvious what I'm consigning, as it's basically all I own. :)

Oh no really? Say it ain't so. Well if you go through with it yeah, HA or CC. Whoever gives you the best deal. With a run like you have they'll get a lot of attention on either venue.   Maybe, and I'm not joking, they'll put a sticker on them. The SuperBird Collection has a nice ring. 

On 1/9/2022 at 11:16 AM, MrBedrock said:

I have had the very best results simply selling directly to Bedrock City. Their service is spectacular and their "same day payment" plan is the best in the business.

Give Richard a call...or better yet, PM him here!

Does Bedrock City 1099 you?  Asking for a friend :whistle:

On 1/10/2022 at 8:11 PM, batman_fan said:
On 1/9/2022 at 12:16 PM, MrBedrock said:

I have had the very best results simply selling directly to Bedrock City. Their service is spectacular and their "same day payment" plan is the best in the business.

Give Richard a call...or better yet, PM him here!

Does Bedrock City 1099 you?  Asking for a friend 

Only if you request it.