• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best current venue for selling books?
1 1

94 posts in this topic

On 1/10/2022 at 6:11 PM, batman_fan said:

Does Bedrock City 1099 you?  Asking for a friend :whistle:

Nobody should 1099 you for SELLING your own items.  How the heck would anybody have any idea what your basis in the item is?

On the other hand it is your responsibility to properly report your income/gain on the item.  The income and reporting would be significantly different  if you were an individual selling there personal collection  vs a business 

I have only sold items through MCS  and Heritage.  

For Heritage I was able to negotiate  down to 0% SP on books that were graded.  The high minimum $30  BP really impacts any lot worth less than say 200.  I did not feel that I got any value from there exposure on any of the lots I sold through them including my hulk 181.  On one of my bigger  GA books  I got less than 50%  of GPA.  I would be hard pressed to use them again unless I had items that were truly unique.  OTOH they were easy to deal with and gave me a nice check on the spot  when I dropped of books in person to their Beverly Hills  site.

I have sold to,   and sold through MCS.  I like their setup and their commission seems reasonable.  OTOH  their grading is VERY HARSH and I am not sure that an auction through them would receive enough exposure for big ticket items.  I am thinking of consigning 1 dozen or so slabs that are worth between 50 and $500 each to see if I can get offers.

I have been thinking of trying CL for several nice books I  recently got back from Voldemort that are perhaps in the 1k-3k    range.  Of course I cannot mention them here

On 1/12/2022 at 8:01 AM, jmg3637 said:

The high minimum $30  BP really impacts any lot worth less than say 200.  I did not feel that I got any value from there exposure on any of the lots I sold through them including my hulk 181. 

I don't think Heritage is the right venue for books worth less than $200 or for Hulk 181s.  CommonLink ComicLink is probably the way to go for those types of books.

On 1/8/2022 at 4:56 PM, manofsteel said:

Last time I sold with them, they took 15% from the final bid, plus they add their 20% on top of the final bid. So, a $1000 bid totals for $1200, and the consignor gets $850. Thats 30% they get.

Sadly, that's the way the math works if you are planning to auction off ordinary run of the mill non-key non-high dollar value books through Heritage, which to me clearly indicates that HA is NOT the auction venue that you should be selecting if you are planning to auction off these kinds of books. :gossip:

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/8/2022 at 3:53 PM, tth2 said:

No, he's saying that Heritage will waive the seller's commission and offer a rebate on the Buyer's Premium so that the overall fee he's paying on the total price (hammer + BP) is around 10%.

In talking with other boardies here, I don't believe you can really get it down to as low as 10% all in, even if you do have half decent books to auction off.  (shrug)

From what I've been told, depending upon your books of course, the best is probably somewhere in the 13% to 15% range, but that's actually not too bad at all given Heritage's clientele base and more sophisticated website.  (thumbsu

On 1/8/2022 at 6:30 PM, tth2 said:

If you can't get that kind of deal, and (i) you're mostly consigning SA and BA Marvels, then I would go with Comiclink, or (ii) you're mostly consigning GA (except for Ducks), then I would go with CC.  If you're consigning Ducks (GA or SA), then go with Heritage regardless.  

Pretty much bang on as it's definitely a case of NOT one venue suits all.  (thumbsu

All I know is that if it's OA, then I would definitely go with Heritage.  If it's pre-Robin 'Tec books or uber HG TMNT 1's, then I would go with CC since they seem to be the market maker in this part of the market.  Finally, if's it's hghest graded copies of what are otherwise relatively common BA and CA books or movie related hyped books, then I would go with CL because that seems to the the domain or home base of the CGC label chasers. :bigsmile:

On 1/12/2022 at 12:45 AM, lou_fine said:

In talking with other boardies here, I don't believe you can really get it down to as low as 10% all in, even if you do have half decent books to auction off.  (shrug)

From what I've been told, depending upon your books of course, the best is probably somewhere in the 13% to 15% range, but that's actually not too bad at all given Heritage's clientele base and more sophisticated website.  (thumbsu

FWIW they offered to waive the seller's fee for me, but not the 20% buyer's fee. 

(I'm selling Action 15-63, slabbed)

On 1/12/2022 at 7:31 AM, SuperBird said:

FWIW they offered to waive the seller's fee for me, but not the 20% buyer's fee. 

20% is still a lot. I would presume they’d offer me about the same for my Superman 2-26 higher grade run. 

On 1/12/2022 at 8:37 AM, manofsteel said:

20% is still a lot. I would presume they’d offer me about the same for my Superman 2-26 higher grade run. 

It's high,  but the question becomes "will my books do 10% better on HA than Comicconnect (who would chanrge 10%, IIRC)? to which I think the answer is "yes"? 

Edited by SuperBird

On 1/12/2022 at 12:26 AM, lou_fine said:

Sadly, that's the way the math works if you are planning to auction off ordinary run of the mill non-key non-high dollar value books through Heritage, which to me clearly indicates that HA is NOT the auction venue that you should be selecting if you are planning to auction off these kinds of books. :gossip:

It was actually OA. 2 pieces from from the Death of Superman line. One was a cover art, the other a full page art piece. Not exactly run of the mill, but I also didn’t know I could possibly negotiate the fees. 

On 1/12/2022 at 8:38 AM, SuperBird said:

It's high,  but the question becomes "will my books do 10% better on HA than Comicconnect (who would chanrge 10%, IIRC)? to which I think the answer is "yes"? 

Would you sell them all at once, or break them up? I’m not sure what would be best for mine 

On 1/12/2022 at 9:40 PM, manofsteel said:

but I also didn’t know I could possibly negotiate the fees

Never hurts to ask. I've even asked CC/Metro, even though I know their answer will be "no" because that's their favorite word.  Not coincidentally, I've never consigned with them.

On 1/12/2022 at 4:31 AM, SuperBird said:

On 1/12/2022 at 5:38 AM, SuperBird said:

Well, if it's Action then I am not so sure about that since the Metro/CC clientele base for early Actions appears to be quite strong and runs quite deep, depending upon the condition.  (shrug)

Then again, was that only for Action 1 because they are definitely the go to guys and seeming market maker for that particular book there.  (thumbsu

On 1/12/2022 at 5:37 AM, manofsteel said:
On 1/12/2022 at 4:31 AM, SuperBird said:

If this is the case, then it sounds as though they are no longer offering as much of a discount as compared to a couple of years ago.  :(

Maybe it's got something to do with the run up in prices for the consignors since Covid or the extra promotion and potential reach they feel you are now receiving from their auction of the Promise Collection books.  (shrug)

On 1/12/2022 at 2:34 PM, szav said:

For what it’s worth them taking a 20% buyers premium equates to them taking a 16.7% cut.

For example, if a book ‘Hammers’ for $1,000 it really sells for $1,200, they get 200, you get 1000.  200/1200 = 16.666%.

Definitely not as good as CCs or CLs 10%, but just making the point 20% buyers premium does not equate to HA getting a 20% cut.  They might do better making the terminology and the math a bit clearer anyway.

Math. I hate it. lol. 

On 1/12/2022 at 12:16 PM, SuperBird said:
On 1/12/2022 at 11:34 AM, szav said:

Definitely not as good as CCs or CLs 10%, but just making the point 20% buyers premium does not equate to HA getting a 20% cut.  They might do better making the terminology and the math a bit clearer anyway.

Math. I hate it. lol. 

And apparently, you can now go with the 15% BP for the CC auction model which somehow mathematically, effectively results in you paying slightly less than the full 10% auction fee.  :gossip:

Then again, I heard this BP fee is apparently a big turnoff for some bidders, so it's probably really a case of six or half a dozen of the other.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine