• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best current venue for selling books?
1 1

94 posts in this topic

On 1/12/2022 at 2:32 PM, lou_fine said:

And apparently, you can now go with the 15% BP for the CC auction model which somehow mathematically, effectively results in you paying slightly less than the full 10% auction fee.  :gossip:

Then again, I heard this BP fee is apparently a big turnoff for some bidders, so it's probably really a case of six or half a dozen of the other.  (thumbsu

8.7% would be CCs cut I guess if 100% of that 15% BP goes to the seller… which you’d think it would.

1000 ‘hammer’ = 1150 final price … CC gets 100/1150 = 8.7%

On 1/12/2022 at 1:41 PM, szav said:

8.7% would be CCs cut I guess if 100% of that 15% BP goes to the seller… which you’d think it would.

1000 ‘hammer’ = 1150 final price … CC gets 100/1150 = 8.7%

On 1/12/2022 at 12:16 PM, SuperBird said:

Math. I hate it. lol. 

Although my head now hurts like @SuperBird's head, I do believe you have it right here.  :applause:

On 1/12/2022 at 4:32 PM, lou_fine said:

And apparently, you can now go with the 15% BP for the CC auction model which somehow mathematically, effectively results in you paying slightly less than the full 10% auction fee.  :gossip:

Then again, I heard this BP fee is apparently a big turnoff for some bidders, so it's probably really a case of six or half a dozen of the other.  (thumbsu

As a bidder I know I hate it. It's confusing to have different rules for different books in the same auction. 

On 1/13/2022 at 5:06 PM, Mmehdy said:

after today HA no contest

For you, with the types of quality books that you must have in your personal collection.................most definitely!!!  :banana:

For so many others of us who started much later than you, and hence with lower quality books in our personal collection............not so sure.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/13/2022 at 6:00 PM, mikefeen said:

I'm selling pretty much my entire collection in the February ComicLink auction.  I've sold with ComicLink before, and I like how they handled things, so I didn't really consider the other venues. 

I ruled out Heritage because of their fee structure.  Maybe I could have negotiated something better with them, but I didn't feel like going through that hassle just to arrive a the percentage that Clink gives up front.  I think Heritage sometimes gets more for items.  Art for sure, but I didn't have any of that, and the big ticket items sometimes (but not always).  I think the stuff in the $1000 to $10,000 range can really go either way, with just as many deals as there are records.  There are even more deals to be had in the stuff that goes in the Sunday auctions.  I built a lot of my collection with those, routinely getting books significantly lower than GPA.  Since deciding to sell a year or so ago, I've been following all the auction results, and other than the Promise books, I think there are still quite a few more deals in the HA Sunday auctions than record breakers.

I've never liked the format of comic connect auctions.  Mostly that their auctions are so huge with so many ungraded and low priced books mixed in with the 'good' stuff.  I probably shouldn't be such a snob, but I know as a bidder it could be frustrating sitting there waiting for 50 sub-$100 items to sell before the one you wanted to bid on came up.  I do like their extended bidding system though.

In the end, my very positive buying experiences with ComicLink led to me eventually selling with them.  I've mostly been dealing with Jason Crosby there, and he has been excellent.  They paid out the advance really quickly, he answers my questions quickly and has been great to work with so far.  Obviously the really important part of this transaction (the auction itself) is still to come, but so far no complaints.

Cros used to be a boardie... he was cool then too. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 1/13/2022 at 6:00 PM, mikefeen said:

I'm selling pretty much my entire collection in the February ComicLink auction.  I've sold with ComicLink before, and I like how they handled things, so I didn't really consider the other venues. 

I ruled out Heritage because of their fee structure.  Maybe I could have negotiated something better with them, but I didn't feel like going through that hassle just to arrive a the percentage that Clink gives up front.  I think Heritage sometimes gets more for items.  Art for sure, but I didn't have any of that, and the big ticket items sometimes (but not always).  I think the stuff in the $1000 to $10,000 range can really go either way, with just as many deals as there are records.  There are even more deals to be had in the stuff that goes in the Sunday auctions.  I built a lot of my collection with those, routinely getting books significantly lower than GPA.  Since deciding to sell a year or so ago, I've been following all the auction results, and other than the Promise books, I think there are still quite a few more deals in the HA Sunday auctions than record breakers.

I've never liked the format of comic connect auctions.  Mostly that their auctions are so huge with so many ungraded and low priced books mixed in with the 'good' stuff.  I probably shouldn't be such a snob, but I know as a bidder it could be frustrating sitting there waiting for 50 sub-$100 items to sell before the one you wanted to bid on came up.  I do like their extended bidding system though.

In the end, my very positive buying experiences with ComicLink led to me eventually selling with them.  I've mostly been dealing with Jason Crosby there, and he has been excellent.  They paid out the advance really quickly, he answers my questions quickly and has been great to work with so far.  Obviously the really important part of this transaction (the auction itself) is still to come, but so far no complaints.

100% agree  ....   I will pump their tires as well, and everyone get your eyeballs on the February focused auction on CLink !!  :highfive:

On 1/14/2022 at 2:05 PM, SuperBird said:

another silly question: are there better or worse times of the year to auction stuff? I know Dec is historically bad. Is April ok, or does tax season screw up sales?

I think anything from Mid November to early January is bad for the seller (but good for the buyer).  From US Thanksgiving until after New Years is so busy for most people in the US it affects the amount of time buyers have to look at comic auctions.  In my experience the rest of the year is about the same.

On 1/13/2022 at 11:00 PM, mikefeen said:

I've mostly been dealing with Jason Crosby there, and he has been excellent.  They paid out the advance really quickly, he answers my questions quickly and has been great to work with so far. 

Jason is great - he really works hard at building solid relationships. When I eventually sell, he's the trusted guy I will go to.

On 1/15/2022 at 5:29 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

I love dealing with Richard.

Richard gave me a very solid offer to buy them outright, definitely in the range of what I expect the net at auction. In the end I went with Heritage mostly because of recent auction results, and also wanting the experience of auctioning them. 

On 1/14/2022 at 4:05 PM, SuperBird said:

another silly question: are there better or worse times of the year to auction stuff? I know Dec is historically bad. Is April ok, or does tax season screw up sales?

I think April/May to October is best. Most people who get a tax refund have it by May which may generate more bids. And this might be nonsense but Spring time and the nice weather arriving might actually help as people in general get a more positive outlook. I think of the Pennyworth Collection which sold early last year. I believe had they waited a few more months they would have got even higher prices. I think May and June are real good months to sell.