• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ink Stain/Transfer Removal?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

This is structurally the nicest copy I own of New Teen Titans #1.  It's pretty good except for the rather glaring issue of the ink on the front cover.  My question is if anyone recognizes this kind of stain - is this "ink transfer?"  And then, ask if is there any way to remove it without damaging the color?  I have absorbine, but I'm very hesitant to even try it.  

What do people think?  Thanks.

IMG_0603.JPG

IMG_0605.JPG

Can you tell if it's the inside cover ink bleeding through, or is it ink from the book on top of this one at some point?

Not sure that makes any real difference, except with the latter it would be sitting on top of the paper/cover, which might make it removable.

On 1/9/2022 at 9:38 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Can you tell if it's the inside cover ink bleeding through, or is it ink from the book on top of this one at some point?

Not sure that makes any real difference, except with the latter it would be sitting on top of the paper/cover, which might make it removable.

Good question.  Opening it up, it does not appear to be bleed through from the inside, as there is a Lego ad there and the ink doesn't seem to line up.

As you say, not sure how much of a difference that makes, but curious about the removal possibilities.  

IMG_0606.JPG

On 1/9/2022 at 4:34 PM, Axelrod said:

...is this "ink transfer?"  And then, ask if is there any way to remove it without damaging the color?  I have absorbine, but I'm very hesitant to even try it. 

Looks like it. I'm not sure of any non-restoration that will safely remove it.

On 1/10/2022 at 11:12 AM, joeypost said:

Since some of the ink transfer is over other colored area’s, it is extremely difficult to remove without remove some of the original ink.

But...hypothetically....?  

I assume the length of time the ink has been there could be a factor as well.  What if I said it had probably been there for 30 years or more?

Maybe I could just ask Mr. Perez to sign over it and use a really big sig....:tonofbricks:

On 1/10/2022 at 1:52 PM, Axelrod said:

But...hypothetically....?  

I assume the length of time the ink has been there could be a factor as well.  What if I said it had probably been there for 30 years or more?

Maybe I could just ask Mr. Perez to sign over it and use a really big sig....:tonofbricks:

Hypothetically, it is best to look for a better copy. I have had artists sign over trouble areas in the past and it does work. Historically, CGC does not hit a book as hard for ink transfer as it would dirt.