• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Easy and cheap way to hang your graded comic book
2 2

55 posts in this topic

On 1/14/2022 at 12:07 AM, KCOComics said:

I don't think they are necessarily trying to be rude (though I didn't read all the comments, maybe some are). But there is an unfortunate down side to displaying your comics.  I wouldn't take it personal, just sharing information. 

Anyway, I liked your YouTube channel! Good luck with your collecting. 

Appreciate it buddy 

On 1/14/2022 at 1:33 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I will be honest.  When I first saw the title I expected something like this. 

20220114_002907.thumb.jpg.4e4d8ece6261817763a9c6e3a112ef94.jpg20220114_002917.thumb.jpg.15fb77c9ae8214e90c75e4177a0074ca.jpg

but actually those don't look too bad. As others have suggested though I wouldn't really put high value items in them, but they look like they would make a decent display.  Good luck with the channel. 

Thank you buddy 

On 1/14/2022 at 9:15 AM, Wolverinex said:

how about uv protective frame?

On 1/11/2022 at 1:18 PM, Wolverinex said:

Didn't see an answer to either one of these.  I am curious myself.  

I think nearly everyone in this thread understands that direct sunlight is bad--that's what most likely causes the horrorshow threads on fading in this forum.  We also know, vaguely, that any light will fade colors over a long time; however, there is a marked difference between something technically causing some negligible amount of fading eventually (i.e., mathematically) and whether it will fade something to a naked-eye-noticeable degree within our lifetime (i.e., practically).  Every time this topic comes up I see people repeating the mathematic certainties (light bad!) but not really addressing the much more relevant, practical questions of:

1. How much will the relatively inexpensive UV acrylic frames help?  I have also seen whole shelves with built in UV acrylic screens that are quite reasonable considering how many books you can fit on them.  In other words, what if you use stuff that isn't dirt cheap but probably not Mona-Lisa-grade-glass, such as what Wolverine linked above?  Will that slow the fading to--I don't know--decades at least?

2. What about no-natural-light, LED-only rooms.  Say you have a home theater with no windows and only LED lighting.  Assuming the room isn't used constantly, wouldn't this result in negligible (if any) fading even if you use the cheapos that OP was recommending?

3. What about the double down?  Home theater room with LEDs only and Wolverinex's UV acrylic frames.  Although I understand that chemically and mathematically, some degradation will still take place, wouldn't this most likely result in no noticeable change, within our lifetimes, even as compared to storing the same books in a locked box in a closet? 

I actually have some inexpensive books up on the wall using exactly the Amazon cheapos in OPs video in a room that gets mild natural light.  It has draped windows which are open occasionally and zero UV protection--in other words, none of the scenarios listed above.  So I totally understand that those books will fade at some point, which is why I only have inexpensive ones up, but I will say it's been about 3 years and I haven't noticed any change yet.  So in an average room it's not like your books will be instantly nuked.  Anecdotally, then, I would assume if you did some UV protection and/or used a room with no natural light, the colors will literally outlive us.  If that is correct, then I would consider that safe enough.  

Edited by Poekaymon

On 1/15/2022 at 11:49 PM, eddly said:

The original poster almost tricked everyone into making him a youtube millionaire. :smirk:

Thanks for sharing your idea, but this site is mostly grumpy old men living in their parent's basement. Probably not your target audience.

image.jpeg.d2e8d7dd49e7a7327264611f4b0a52aa.jpeg

Lol I gotcha thanks buddy 

On 1/14/2022 at 1:49 PM, lostboys said:

Do they have a Newberry Comics where youre all at?

They have shelves way up near the ceiling and thats where they put their big money books...about 12 inches away from the bright lights.

That KILLS me.  
My LCS also has the most expensive wall books - their Golden Age books - the highest on the wall, and closest to the (presumably) fluorescent light  :(  
Fluorescents are MURDER on colors.  In my 20s I worked retail, and the folded shirts that had been out a long time and not touched (the store wasn't very popular) had color fade on the edges from the lights!!  When you opened the shirt, it had fading lines in a shape resembling a tic-tac-toe board.  

On 1/10/2022 at 5:19 PM, joeypost said:

I have the easiest and cheapest way.

I don’t hang my books up on the wall. 

haha, really true story! way.. I mean:wink:. I remember that movie called Comic book Villains:D from 2002`s that I found from essays on movie review while studying at https://gradesfixer.com/free-essay-examples/movie-review/ and I loved that film. The story was about the little old lady. She had a $1 million GA comic collection and two store collectors/owners find out about it and comedy ensues. 

Edited by WillieWill