• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Color Touch Not Restoration?
2 2

10 posts in this topic

On 1/10/2022 at 8:58 AM, The Lions Den said:

And I'm not saying I agree with it, but sometimes Golden Age comics are given more leeway when it comes to very minor restoration...  hm 

This statement is apparently correct.  Upon checking, I received the following reply.

"CGC allows for "very minor" color touch on Universal Golden Age books as long it is tiny and does not affect the perceived grade (in their opinion). They have been doing it that way since the very beginning. So, the book is properly labeled."

Apparently...

"The story goes that when CGC was developing their standards, the question arose of what they were going to do about the Mile High books that had tiny spots of color touch on them... they did not want to put a bunch of the "best" books in purple holders. Could be apocryphal. Regardless, this solution was arrived at. They only do it for Golden Age books. Not Silver, Bronze, etc."

I believe CGC allowed slight CT on GA books because otherwise it would have had to put many Church books in a purple label. I don't understand why a 1942 Captain America with slight CT gets a blue label, but the same dot on an AF 15 gets a purple. 

Edited by shadroch

On 1/10/2022 at 8:59 AM, Figment said:

This statement is apparently correct.  Upon checking, I received the following reply.

"CGC allows for "very minor" color touch on Universal Golden Age books as long it is tiny and does not affect the perceived grade (in their opinion). They have been doing it that way since the very beginning. So, the book is properly labeled."

As it should be. There is a huge difference between a stray dot of ink, less distracting than a distributor code, and filling in color breaking creases and spine breaks with colored ink. It should be noted, and buyers can decide if it acceptable to them or not. CGC does the same with very minor amounts a glue. 

People get a bit over-obsessed with labels, particularly on lower grade books that can have all manner of flaws more unattractive than minor color touch or tear seals. The preference for conserved over restored is overblown as well, the major difference being wether or not the work is reversible. But is it really more preferable to have a book where the apparent grade is due to "reinforcement" and added paper, or one with a minor tear seal or a small spot of color touch?

On 1/10/2022 at 9:13 AM, shadroch said:

I believe CGC allowed slight CT on GA books because otherwise it would have had to put many Church books in a purple label. I don't understand why a 1942 Captain America with slight CT gets a blue label, but the same dot on an AF 15 gets a purple. 

They should allow it for all books and make note on the label, preferably in caps like they do for married elements.