• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is CGC trying to lose their dealers as well?
11 11

466 posts in this topic

On 1/11/2022 at 2:04 PM, october said:

Funny, I thought the "merchandise" was the comic book itself, not the plastic around it. The hobby has now reached peak stupid. 

That’s your first mistake 

pretty sure all these record breaking sales are CGC graded books 

Edited by D2

On 1/10/2022 at 5:14 PM, Iceman399 said:

Just logged in after another dealer told me about this.

https://www.cgccomics.com/dealers/benefits/

image.thumb.png.a0a59521f5064e16c71d2d928ebb17a7.png

@blazingbob  @G.A.tor @Dale Roberts @bedrockcomics @joeypost

It's Blackstone that is forcing them to do this type of caca, they want there money back with interest. Will they loose dealers of course they will, for the fee the discount should go up to 20 percent off grading. So does that mean anyone can have a dealer account?

Edited by reptilekingdie

On 1/10/2022 at 10:53 PM, CrocHntr said:

Not to turn this into another CGC vs CBCS discussion, but as a buyer, I’m paying for an accurate grade.  I really don’t care which Company’s slab I get as long as I can be confident the grading is accurate.  And I’d pay the same price for either slab, so I don’t know why a seller would willingly sell one for less than the other.

On 1/10/2022 at 11:06 PM, blazingbob said:

It is not that the seller would sell one for less then the other.  It is that the buyers won't pay the same price.  Accurately graded books will always sell faster.  If you are looking at a book and questioning the grade and it is the same when looking at lots of books you come to the determination that they grading is loose and that you automatically downgrade the book in the holder.  CBCS did it to themselves,  the market didn't do it.  You get a reputation as a loose grader it sticks with you.

Sure, if similar books compared across the two companies consistently produce different grades, and the CBCS grading criteria is either defined differently or is regularly loose/inaccurate compared to CGC, then I completely get where CGC would be superior and demand higher prices for a certain grade.  I only have a half dozen or so CBCS slabs, so couldn't offer up an informed analysis here, other than that mine look like they're graded accurately to me.  I thought at one point CBCS was considered the stricter grader, but if the pendulum has consistently swung the other way (or I misunderstood all along), then I understand and acquiesce to the point.  It would then make perfect sense for CGC to command a premium in the market given all else equal.  Again, I rarely sell books, but as a periodic buyer, I do try to stick to "buy the book, not the grade".  In that sense, I really don't care whose slab it's in, as long as I agree that the grade is representative of condition.  That said, sounds like I better double my QC efforts before buying! 

Edited by CrocHntr

if you submit around $1450 worth of grading fees the 15% savings = $200 yearly fee

however it's the about the principle and as transplant pointed out, their terms

surprised that's not being mentioned more

On 1/11/2022 at 9:23 AM, jsilverjanet said:

if you submit around $1450 worth of grading fees the 15% savings = $200 yearly fee

however it's the about the principle and as transplant pointed out, their terms

surprised that's not being mentioned more

A decent amount of dealers submit a couple thousand books per year. 

On 1/11/2022 at 11:37 AM, NewWorldOrder said:

correct it's really not a lot. and honestly i already lose that in some of the books that are misgraded :whistle:

On 1/11/2022 at 10:37 AM, NewWorldOrder said:

They could have raised the same amount of money with another nickel price increase when they first announced it.  I'm starting to wonder if these multiple acts of shooting themselves in the feet isn't being done intentionally. 

On 1/11/2022 at 10:05 AM, Transplant said:

You're right.  It's a little silly.  But, and I hesitate to type this, it is somewhat of the principle of the thing.  Dealers built CGC by submitting, advocating, buying and selling.  Just ignore that for a second.  The question is, why start charging?  Why $200?  Why not $1000?  $200/dealer account isn't going to raise any kind of significant money for CGC, as least not on the comic side.  No idea about coins, cards, etc.  So why do it?  

Dealers have expectations of CGC that already aren't being met.  Now, they're not just supporters, CGC has made them another level of customers.  

Why do it?  1 answer.  It gets a dealer used to paying "something" for the privilege of being a dealer.  Next year or the year after, when it's time to renew that dealer fee, who knows what the prices will be.  And oh, by the way, read that dealer agreement again. 

Anything disparaging CGC is grounds to be terminated as a dealer.  

Another angle is... they may open it up so it's not so exclusive, and make that $200 add up.

Just like McDonald's, more locations means more Burgers sold...

I don't believe there was any doubt at this point, but I did call CGC and confirm that dealer accounts now have an annual cost of $199

This stands in such contrast to how CGC started. Dealers were actively recruited and treated more like influencers.  For instance all of the Overstreet Advisors when CGC opened were given 10 free grading coupons.  But first the discount for dealers was reduced to 15% from 20% and now there is a charge for a dealer account. 

I send in thousands of books every year and have for a lot of years. And I'll just mention that I am sending in books almost entirely for other people. One of the things dealer accounts were likely to be doing/CGC hoped for.  A lot of people ask me which grading company they should use. Thus my "influencer" comment. 

On 1/11/2022 at 9:43 AM, shadroch said:

They could have raised the same amount of money with another nickel price increase when they first announced it.  I'm starting to wonder if these multiple acts of shooting themselves in the feet isn't being done intentionally. 

Yes the goal of Blackstone is to make as much money as possible.

I expect a CGC price increase every January till they see a drop in submissions.   So I will be submitting more than ever before to get my books in holders quicker. I might start going to 200 per month instead of 100.