• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miracleman #1 (1985) U.K. edition - was it actually a store exclusive?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Miracleman #1 (1985) was printed in two different editions.

The regular edition is a direct market edition (there was no newsstand) with cover prices for U.S., U.K., and Canada.

image.png.bedfd513d4e591d15f8f586dfe559dfd.png

The back cover is an advertisement for Zot! from Eclipse Comics.

1295164021_0150909009b_3001.jpg.c6f501e83c8f40646c4ec5d9118feeeb.jpg

The U.K. edition has an identical front cover to the regular edition with the prices for U.S., U.K., and Canada.

image.png.db0c45c7a08a3317e3dd655d3d149a83.png

The back cover is an advertisement for two locations of Quality Comics (Quality Art) in London.

600312175_0274114004b_3001.jpg.2cf1eac1be361f7962133b6453f09ac8.jpg

Was the U.K. edition sold all over the U.K. (which is what is normally meant by "U.K. edition"), or was it exclusive to the Quality Comics store?

An interesting question.  I would point out that Quality Comics was, in fact, the company that published Warrior and it's their logo on the front cover of the book in both versions.  The early issues of Warrior also had a back cover ad for Forbidden Planet, so I don't think there was the "we won't advertise our competitors" attitude you might expect in this situation.

On the other hand, having all three prices on both versions does suggest that not all UK stores got the "UK Version" as well.  Anybody have contact info for Des Skinn to ask?

On 1/11/2022 at 9:33 PM, OtherEric said:

An interesting question.  I would point out that Quality Comics was, in fact, the company that published Warrior and it's their logo on the front cover of the book in both versions.  The early issues of Warrior also had a back cover ad for Forbidden Planet, so I don't think there was the "we won't advertise our competitors" attitude you might expect in this situation.

On the other hand, having all three prices on both versions does suggest that not all UK stores got the "UK Version" as well.  Anybody have contact info for Des Skinn to ask?

Contact details for Dez are on his website:

Dezskinn1@yahoo.co.uk

This from the Recalled Comics website:

"The print run on the standard version of Miracleman #1 was around 135,000 world-wide and these are easy to come by. However, there was a U.K. variant produced with a small print run of 1,000-2,000 making it pretty rare (CGC only have thirty graded in May 2016). Note that the standard version was also imported into the U.K. so there was a mixed distribution in Blighty. The U.K. variant has a distinctive yellow back cover with an advert for Quality comics (standard cover has a Zot! advert)"

On 1/13/2022 at 2:56 AM, divad said:

Now that appears to be some very good work by all involved - Cheers! :cheers:

Dez always responds to contact and queries - I've posed a few down the years.

You always expect industry figures to have a detailed recollection of the events you study and subsequently put to them, but the reality is that it was just another day in the office for him, and knocking on forty years ago. Most days I can't recall what I did the preceding week.... :eek:

On 1/12/2022 at 9:31 PM, valiantman said:

Answer from Dez:

If I remember correctly, we just changed the cover plates and did a few thousand run-ons with the UK back cover. Diamond UK distributed the US edition over here.

Kind regards,

Dez Skinn
Quality Communications
345 Ditchling Road
Brighton BN1 6JJ

So do I read this right that Dez did the UK back cover in house for Quality only? Sorry,post Covid brain fog going & I had to read it twice.

On 1/13/2022 at 6:24 PM, Toz said:

So do I read this right that Dez did the UK back cover in house for Quality only? Sorry,post Covid brain fog going & I had to read it twice.

I believe he printed all of them. The "US version" was the full run given to distributors everywhere, including other UK stores (Diamond UK), and he changed out the cover for a few thousand Quality ad back cover editions for himself.