• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help

12 posts in this topic

On 1/12/2022 at 9:47 AM, jaybuck43 said:

Yup.  TMNT #1 and TMNT #2 famously had a bunch of Counterfeits, and CGC slabs them and marks them.  The one I posted sold for a ton in April, because there actually is a market for them.

Wow. Not sure if it's more surprising that CGC would grade them - as it seems like a bad idea - or that there's a viable market for them. Either way, thanks for the info.

On 1/12/2022 at 8:50 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Wow. Not sure if it's more surprising that CGC would grade them - as it seems like a bad idea - or that there's a viable market for them. Either way, thanks for the info.

Certain counterfeit collectibles have always had some measure of collector appeal on their own merits. In philately, off the top of my head, that includes the London Stock Market forgeries and the forged WWII German stamps produced by the OSS as part of the Operation Cornflake propaganda effort. Over in the coin collecting realm, the Omega Counterfeits are pretty big money, as are the (presumably) Soviet-created 1923D and 1930D dimes; the Henning nickel is popular but not FMV is still only a few bucks Henning made just a huge number of them.

For comics, the counterfeit TMNT 1 is probably the biggest example, although I know there's been some collector interest in the counterfeit Cry for Dawn #1 also (to the considerable dismay of Linsner, who is very firm in his belief that they should not be collected in any way).

Shame on CGC for grading these fakes. If anything, I'd put them in a different colored slab that screams fake and certainly not give them a high grade. They should get a big F for fake, rather than a grade.  Once upon a time, card slabbing companies would not return fake cards.