• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mirage Studios Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles First Print - Magazine Size
2 2

58 posts in this topic

Greetings,

I'm inquiring to how to correctly list the Mirage Studios TMNT 1-4 1984 magazine size comics.  Is there a specific category I should choose to correctly add these for submission.  First time user, excited to get started. 

Thanks for your assistance.

BDubs

tmnt.jpg

Edited by BDubs
attachment

On 1/12/2022 at 1:42 PM, BDubs said:

Ok, awesome, thanks guy.  The magazine category was it.  I actually just got everything packaged and mailed out.  Fingers crossed.  Thanks again. 

tmnt2.jpg

As @sckao stated be sure to put the print # that #1 is a third print and you'll need to check the #2 as it could be up to a 2nd print.

On 1/12/2022 at 11:09 PM, 54 68 65 20 52 65 64 20 50 69 6c 6c said:

Those are beautiful.  Getting them pressed is a good move imo

I went with the Walk through express service so I am hoping to see a quick turn around on grading.  I have acquired two sets of the Mirage Studios TMNT with TMNT #1 in a 3rd and 4th printing and now am working on getting the comics 5-62 inputted and submitted over.  From a cost perspective, I believe these will take a considerably longer amount of time to press and grade.  

On 1/13/2022 at 8:46 AM, 54 68 65 20 52 65 64 20 50 69 6c 6c said:

That's the best way with high dollar items.  Let us know how it goes once you do it.  

Will do.  Thanks again everyone for guiding me through the process.

On 1/13/2022 at 9:27 AM, BDubs said:

I went with the Walk through express service so I am hoping to see a quick turn around on grading.  I have acquired two sets of the Mirage Studios TMNT with TMNT #1 in a 3rd and 4th printing and now am working on getting the comics 5-62 inputted and submitted over.  From a cost perspective, I believe these will take a considerably longer amount of time to press and grade.  

I'm not telling you what to do, but based off the pictures you've shown, the value of the books may be less than the cost of grading.  Especially if you're looking to flip/sell these, you're going to want to maximize your profit, and paying for walkthrough is a great way to lose a lot of profit.  Also, for 5-62, unless you have 9.8 or higher candidates, there are only a handful of books worth even grading, as there is not much demand for the rest in mid/low grade graded (you'll end up basically getting grading costs back by the time you're done).  Just some food for thought.  

On 1/13/2022 at 9:33 AM, jaybuck43 said:

I'm not telling you what to do, but based off the pictures you've shown, the value of the books may be less than the cost of grading.  Especially if you're looking to flip/sell these, you're going to want to maximize your profit, and paying for walkthrough is a great way to lose a lot of profit.  Also, for 5-62, unless you have 9.8 or higher candidates, there are only a handful of books worth even grading, as there is not much demand for the rest in mid/low grade graded (you'll end up basically getting grading costs back by the time you're done).  Just some food for thought.  

The ship has proverbially sailed.  My goal is to have the entire Mirage Studio collection in 9.8 to pass down to my son who is seven.  So these will be in the BDubs family for some time.  As a mid 40s father, I have fond memories of owning all of the TMNTs and drawing for hours on end each comic frame.  With the amazingly done TMNT cartoon, my son caught the fever, and my old comic nostalgia returned.  I would guess the recent rise in interest, arguably its always been there, are dad's in my same position, a son or daughter and a little more coin in the pocket versus days long ago. 

Thanks for your suggestions.  Cost was substantial, I will be transparent for the sake of others on results and costs etc.  

On 1/13/2022 at 7:51 AM, BDubs said:

The ship has proverbially sailed.  My goal is to have the entire Mirage Studio collection in 9.8 to pass down to my son who is seven.  So these will be in the BDubs family for some time.  As a mid 40s father, I have fond memories of owning all of the TMNTs and drawing for hours on end each comic frame.  With the amazingly done TMNT cartoon, my son caught the fever, and my old comic nostalgia returned.  I would guess the recent rise in interest, arguably its always been there, are dad's in my same position, a son or daughter and a little more coin in the pocket versus days long ago. 

Thanks for your suggestions.  Cost was substantial, I will be transparent for the sake of others on results and costs etc.  

Love this entire thread and this response. I’m a late-40s father with a teen son who just got into collecting (finally!), and I’m methodically assembling a (very expensive) high grade run of our favorite comic for him to inherit.

Really admire you for this quest! Eager to see the results. 

So I've taken everyone's suggestion and guidance/expertise in the thread and submitted the following today for grade at CGC due to either scarcity within the consensus for 9.6 and 9.8 or multiple copies that may result in 1 of 2 (fingers crossed) receiving the coveted 9.8 grading...  

Second Submission to CGC
#1 Malibu Comics Malibu Sun #13 5/92 QTY 1
#2 Mirage Studios Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 1985 Fourth Printing     QTY 2
#3 Mirage Studios Michaelangelo, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle #1 1986 QTY 2
#4 Mirage Studios Leonardo, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle #1 12/86 QTY 2
#5 Mirage Studios Donatello, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle #1 8/86 QTY 2
#6  Mirage Studios Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #11 6/87 QTY 2
#7  Mirage Studios Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #14 2/88 QTY 1
#8  Mirage Studios Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #13 2/88 QTY 1
#9 Mirage Studios Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #16 9/88 QTY 1
#10 Mirage Studios Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #15 1988 QTY 1
#11  Mirage Studios Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #47 5/92 QTY 1
#12  Mirage Studios Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #28 2/90 QTY1
#13  Mirage Studios Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #62 8/93 QTY 1

And as Mikey said, "I love being a turtle." 

Here goes nothing... 

4762.png

11.png

131415.png

tmnt4.png

leonardo.png

13-14-15.png

On 1/13/2022 at 3:27 PM, alexanderjk said:

Love this entire thread and this response. I’m a late-40s father with a teen son who just got into collecting (finally!), and I’m methodically assembling a (very expensive) high grade run of our favorite comic for him to inherit.

Really admire you for this quest! Eager to see the results. 

Thanks for the kind words and let me know if you are in need of an issue or two along the journey!  Best, Bdubs

On 1/13/2022 at 10:51 AM, BDubs said:

My goal is to have the entire Mirage Studio collection in 9.8 

Good luck (sincerely).  
Though if this is your first time sending stuff away for grading, prepare yourself for disappointment.  9.8 is pretty much a perfect comic book.  Like, PERFECT.  Two color-breaking tics on the spine (or elsewhere) and you're done for.  

On 1/13/2022 at 7:28 PM, djzombi said:

Good luck (sincerely).  
Though if this is your first time sending stuff away for grading, prepare yourself for disappointment.  9.8 is pretty much a perfect comic book.  Like, PERFECT.  Two color-breaking tics on the spine (or elsewhere) and you're done for.  

Hey thanks for the feedback, I'm coming into this with a Clark Griswald mentality, so as long as they don't ship back jelly of the month coupons, I'm stoked to have them slabbed and graded.  Thankfully, I have a couple GEM Mint 10 stickers from the shipping box, and if the wife ever takes a gander, I'll slap one on a book and the other on her backside.  Should keep me out of the dog house on the $$$ spent on this initiative.  

But please please please let a few of them be 9.8! 

Good luck, but as was said, be prepared to be a little disappointed. Sometimes, the books just aren’t there in 9.8… even after a press.

The TMNT magazine size comics are hard to find in 9.8 condition.

In the vein of your TMNT submission, I had a recent Raphael submission that came back with some hits and some misses. (I slabbed them knowing most weren’t sure 9.8s, but hoped for the best.) I don’t think any will lose money though… that only happens if it’s really low grade. 

Good Luck with your TMNT set. (thumbsu

98522657-A4A8-4042-8F72-EB2700BEAE77.jpeg

Edited by sckao