• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone planning to attend Heritage’s Collector Summit the end of May
4 4

66 posts in this topic

On 1/17/2022 at 8:35 AM, pemart1966 said:

... a niche show wherein all of those Crypto newbies that dropped hundreds of thousands at the last HA auction can go and ask veterans "Can you tell me exactly what it is I bought?"

I know a fair amount of the collectors that will be attending, plus the organizers of the show. I'm pretty confident knowing some of their collections and knowledge of the hobby in particular, newbie would be the last thing you'd call them. That's cute, though... go onto a thread and take a presumptive dig against people you know nothing about... :golfclap:

On 1/17/2022 at 11:59 AM, Joshua33 said:

I know a fair amount of the collectors that will be attending, plus the organizers of the show. I'm pretty confident knowing some of their collections and knowledge of the hobby in particular, newbie would be the last thing you'd call them. That's cute, though... go onto a thread and take a presumptive dig against people you know nothing about... :golfclap:

Everyone in this thread has taken shots at the show. Why are you singling that post out?

On 1/17/2022 at 10:06 AM, MrBedrock said:

Everyone in this thread has taken shots at the show. Why are you singling that post out?

I didn't single the post out. If you look back through the thread, I defended the show taking place against the "ruining the hobby for new collectors" comments. As I said, there are plenty of shows in that area for new collectors to attend, that are less expensive and more "inclusive". 

I chose the above comment to respond to, because unlike the others, it remarked and assumed that it's a bunch of crypto turds that know nothing about comics attending. Being that I know that assumption is categorically false, I thought I'd correct it.

As I said before, if the show isn't for you... no problem. I personally like that I don't have to wade through endless cosplayers, video game designers, cheap toy dealers, artists, baby strollers and many other annoyances to go to this show. The concept to me, is kind of cool, because I've been looking for a show like this... Just books and other collectors... No BS. The other stuff is all great for the hobby, but I'm very excited for a show that is more focused, like this one. 

To me, it's a good enough idea conceptually that we should embrace it, if for no other reason than trying something new. The affluent jokes are funny for sure, but the "elitist" and "rich noobs" stuff is weak in my opinion.

On 1/17/2022 at 12:36 PM, Joshua33 said:

I didn't single the post out. If you look back through the thread, I defended the show taking place against the "ruining the hobby for new collectors" comments. As I said, there are plenty of shows in that area for new collectors to attend, that are less expensive and more "inclusive". 

I chose the above comment to respond to, because unlike the others, it remarked and assumed that it's a bunch of crypto turds that know nothing about comics attending. Being that I know that assumption is categorically false, I thought I'd correct it.

As I said before, if the show isn't for you... no problem. I personally like that I don't have to wade through endless cosplayers, video game designers, cheap toy dealers, artists, baby strollers and many other annoyances to go to this show. The concept to me, is kind of cool, because I've been looking for a show like this... Just books and other collectors... No BS. The other stuff is all great for the hobby, but I'm very excited for a show that is more focused, like this one. 

To me, it's a good enough idea conceptually that we should embrace it, if for no other reason than trying something new. The affluent jokes are funny for sure, but the "elitist" and "rich noobs" stuff is weak in my opinion.

Fair enough.

This is a single show targeting a specific type of collector for a weekend. In no way is anyone excluded from attending that wishes to attend.

Capacity is capped like any other show in the world. Does it not cost the average attendee at least $50/day to attend San Diego or New York Comicon? 

Hardly the end of civilization as we know it. If the premise of the event does not intrigue (you) or if you feel disdain for the concept, it's quite acceptable to ignore this thread. Why anyone here feels like they need to belittle the promoters or anyone attending is beyond me.

On 1/17/2022 at 2:08 PM, Robot Man said:

I get where you are coming from. I too, prefer "old school" comic shows myself. Buying, selling and talking about the medium with no distractions. "Comic Cons" have become another way to introduce more cosplay, toys, media personalities and other non comic book stuff under the disguise of a "comic book convention".

Things, pre-cooties were starting to go that way already. A lot more comic centric shows. Terry O'Neil's Yorba Linda show is a perfect example. (Damn, I sure miss it...). All over the country, smaller old school gatherings were starting to pop up. They are still waiting to happen once we all get serious and beat the thing that is keeping them from happening.

I guess my reaction to reading about this show is the "elitist" tone to it. Seemed to be more about deep pockets and big money. I have spent and still do on rare occasions a lot of money on my comic book habit. But, never the kind of numbers that seem to be thrown around today. It's a lot harder to be patient, shrewd, and careful to acquire cool books than to simply just write a fat check and wave your latest purchase around. 

At the end of the day, I could care less what people think of my collecting habits. I collect what I like, what I can afford and enjoy the books I get. And, I like to have a sense of humor along the way. 

The promoters, in their description wanted to describe the conceit of the show. It's not meant to be a barrier for inclusion or as a means for exclusion.

A comic book-centric event,  not be your typical local weekend con ( which has it's place in the hobby as well ),  that would have the usual assortment of dollar bin books, trading cards, toys or cosplayers running around. It's specifically for the collectors that are focused on "higher" end books and pulps, networking with other collectors and dealers and an opportunity to socialize in a more intimate setting. The average Joe that walks into this show expecting these types of collectibles will be sorely disappointed.

How many times have we all complained that SD and NY are now media shows catering to anything but comic books?

Edited by Funnybooks

On 1/17/2022 at 11:08 AM, Robot Man said:

I get where you are coming from. I too, prefer "old school" comic shows myself. Buying, selling and talking about the medium with no distractions. "Comic Cons" have become another way to introduce more cosplay, toys, media personalities and other non comic book stuff under the disguise of a "comic book convention".

Things, pre-cooties were starting to go that way already. A lot more comic centric shows. Terry O'Neil's Yorba Linda show is a perfect example. (Damn, I sure miss it...). All over the country, smaller old school gatherings were starting to pop up. They are still waiting to happen once we all get serious and beat the thing that is keeping them from happening.

I guess my reaction to reading about this show is the "elitist" tone to it. Seemed to be more about deep pockets and big money. I have spent and still do on rare occasions a lot of money on my comic book habit. But, never the kind of numbers that seem to be thrown around today. It's a lot harder to be patient, shrewd, and careful to acquire cool books than to simply just write a fat check and wave your latest purchase around. 

At the end of the day, I could care less what people think of my collecting habits. I collect what I like, what I can afford and enjoy the books I get. And, I like to have a sense of humor along the way. 

Totally agree with the frustration part. Been collecting comics for over 30 years, and it's hard to find a decent deal on a book these days, more than I can ever remember. It is very frustrating as a shrewd buyer. 99% of all books are just seeing the wallets of everybody thrown at them. As collectors, it's so tough to be patient... we want to acquire!!! Staying grounded and buying books with some modicum of discernment is harder than ever. 

As a result of the current times, I accumulate far less than before, even as recently as 2 years ago. I keep comics that are near and dear to me, or generally impossible to replace regardless of market, and I've sold a ton of my collection. I cannot justify keeping many books at their current market value. The current state of things has also forced me to other corners of the hobby I never dabbled in before (magazines and pulps) where I find there is still a ton of value, relative to current pricing. It's also exciting to learn the new arenas. There are so many of us that are genuinely shocked when we see a comic that we haven't seen many times before. I learn something every day with pulps, so the collecting excitement is back, and more potent than ever. 

On 1/17/2022 at 11:18 AM, Funnybooks said:

The promoters, in their description wanted to describe the conceit of the show. It's not meant to be a barrier for inclusion or as a means for exclusion.

A comic book-centric event,  not be your typical local weekend con ( which has it's place in the hobby as well ),  that would have the usual assortment of dollar bin books, trading cards, toys or cosplayers running around. It's specifically for the collectors that are focused on "higher" end books and pulps, networking with other collectors and dealers and an opportunity to socialize in a more intimate setting. The average Joe that walks into this show expecting these types of collectibles will be sorely disappointed.

How many times have we all complained that SD and NY are now media shows catering to anything but comic books?

Did you mean "concept of the show"? Not "conceit". I mean, you're making it very hard to defend with those typos. :roflmao:

On 1/17/2022 at 2:35 PM, Joshua33 said:

Did you mean "concept of the show"? Not "conceit". I mean, you're making it very hard to defend with those typos. :roflmao:

Elitist!!

Im not helping the cauze am i?

I thought the term was an older, perhaps archaic expression for the term concept??? or maybe I am conceited :wavingwhiteflag:

On 1/17/2022 at 12:35 PM, batman_fan said:

My purpose in originally posting this was to see if people were going and hopefully get a report out afterwards to see if it would be worth a trip in the future.  

I would say your post is and will continue to achieve its' purpose. I mean, you definitely can tell who is and isn't attending so far. :roflmao:

Hey Andy

I'm just a messenger relaying..................a message :foryou:

I am not affiliated with the show in any professional manner... only as a friend and collector. 

The idea was that the long weekend would afford any collectors traveling from the east coast and beyond, an extra day to recuperate/travel. The show culminates in an auction Sunday night.

There are activities planned for any attendees interested in socializing after the show ends each night.

Thank you for asking