• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Beats $3,360,000?
2 2

120 posts in this topic

Logically, the following should be more valuable, although it's still hard for me to believe that they would be:

1.  AF 15--virtually every page from the Spidey story, but at a minimum the opening splash, panel with 1st Spidey in costume, page where Spidey lets the burglar get away, page where he realizes the person who killed Uncle Ben is the burglar)

2.  X-Men 1--opening splash

3.  X-Men 1--panel with first Magneto

4.  TOS 39--opening splash

5.  Hulk 181--cover

6.  GSX 1--cover

7.  ASM 252--cover  

Avengers 1 cover or page where they officially form the group and comeup with the Avengers name?

Avengers 4 cover or Page where Captain America is revealed to be free from the ice?

None of them are the best examples of art for sure but if we're going by historical importance they're both big moments in comics

RCO023_1475723656.thumb.jpg.d4e2f2bf6352fc2357a06b31e1c70491.jpgRCO001_1475756663.thumb.jpg.39227a5cf0e453e84a3bdc732c9af56b.jpg
RCO005_1475756663.thumb.jpg.b1bb30cb7e0b4856fbafc9c931950ac0.jpg

On 1/14/2022 at 3:49 AM, tth2 said:

Logically, the following should be more valuable, although it's still hard for me to believe that they would be:

1.  AF 15--virtually every page from the Spidey story, but at a minimum the opening splash, panel with 1st Spidey in costume, page where Spidey lets the burglar get away, page where he realizes the person who killed Uncle Ben is the burglar)

2.  X-Men 1--opening splash

3.  X-Men 1--panel with first Magneto

4.  TOS 39--opening splash

5.  Hulk 181--cover

6.  GSX 1--cover

7.  ASM 252--cover  

Secret wars 8 cover - logically - although I don’t know if it happens .

ASM 11 cover - ditto

Edited by Bronty

On 1/14/2022 at 8:28 AM, tth2 said:

Mostly stat, so unlikely.

The fact that this Secret Wars page sold for so much, probably has a lot to do with historical significance rather than artistic merit.

If a page can sell for over $3 Million, I have a feeling an equally significant cover should do as well if not better, regardless of what it's composed of.

On 1/14/2022 at 6:33 AM, Shin-Kaiser said:

My goodness! What year was this lot for sale?

It was 2001, give or take a year.  I'm not an original art buyer, but that lot would be expected top $5 million today, would it not?  Maybe by a wide margin.

Edited by namisgr

On 1/14/2022 at 10:20 PM, namisgr said:

I've got a scan of it, from the Jay Parrino catalog in which the art for the entire X-Men #1 was offered for sale as a lot.  Can you imagine what that lot would fetch today?

Parrino1.JPG.e8e62d55077c6c50e3be2ccaa43eeb94.JPG

It's great to know this OA exists.

What year was this parrino Catalog?

Thanks for sharing that namisgr

On 1/14/2022 at 11:36 AM, namisgr said:

It was 2001, give or take a year.  I'm not an original art buyer, but that lot would be expected top $5 million today, would it not?  Maybe by a wide margin.

Seeing how everyone's estimate for the recent Secret Wars page got blown out of the water, I wouldn't be surprised if The Original art for the complete issue of the 1st X-Men comic went for at least $20 Million!

On 1/14/2022 at 6:46 AM, drdonaldblake1 said:

What other treasures were in that Catalog?

Oh you know, ordinary stuff.  Dozens of coins ranging from $100K to $1M.  Unrestored copies of Action #s 1-5, Tec 27, Human Torch 1, Subby 1, the Windy City copy of Captain America 1, the Curator copy of Amazing Fantasy 15, a CGC 9.4 copy of Sensation 1, a 9.2 copy of Showcase 4.  A slew of Church copies.  Original cover art for Batman 12 and Superman 17.  :wink:

Edited by namisgr

On 1/14/2022 at 7:35 AM, Shin-Kaiser said:

Seeing how everyone's estimate for the recent Secret Wars page got blown out of the water, I wouldn't be surprised if The Original art for the complete issue of the 1st X-Men comic went for at least $20 Million!

It's been split up, as I recall seeing individual pages for sale in the past.

On 1/14/2022 at 5:21 PM, DeadpoolJr. said:

Avengers 1 cover or page where they officially form the group and comeup with the Avengers name?

Avengers 4 cover or Page where Captain America is revealed to be free from the ice?

I'm not knowledgeable enough about OA to know if they exist.  But if they do, in my mind they should definitely be worth more.