• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Beats $3,360,000?
2 2

120 posts in this topic

On 1/14/2022 at 7:44 PM, drdonaldblake1 said:

It's great to know this OA exists.

It's been well known that the OA to X-Men 1 exists.  It was owned by Kirk Hammett of Metallica for a long time.

It's also well known that the OA to TOS 39 exists.  It was owned by Graham Nash of CSNY at one point.  

Which is why I mentioned both of those pieces. 

On 1/14/2022 at 9:21 PM, Gotham Kid said:

I'm not either. Does the cover OA for all the BIG SA Marvel #1s exist ?

I'm not sure ANY of it exists.

But then again, I'm always dumbfounded by what does exist.

On 1/14/2022 at 4:21 AM, DeadpoolJr. said:

Avengers 1 cover or page where they officially form the group and comeup with the Avengers name?

Avengers 4 cover or Page where Captain America is revealed to be free from the ice?

None of them are the best examples of art for sure but if we're going by historical importance they're both big moments in comics

RCO023_1475723656.thumb.jpg.d4e2f2bf6352fc2357a06b31e1c70491.jpgRCO001_1475756663.thumb.jpg.39227a5cf0e453e84a3bdc732c9af56b.jpg
RCO005_1475756663.thumb.jpg.b1bb30cb7e0b4856fbafc9c931950ac0.jpg

Neither of your mentioned covers is known to exist...

On 1/14/2022 at 12:36 AM, tth2 said:

Let's play a fun new game!

If the panel OA with the first appearance of Venom is worth $3,360,000, what known OA should go for more, and why?

What known OA should go for more?  So, so many other pieces should go for more. Just as there were so, so many other pieces that should have been worth more than the ASM #328 cover and its $657,250 price tag way back in 2012, but, the number of pieces that have sold at that level or above in almost a decade since (excluding Frazetta and other quasi-comic works) you can count on two hands (maybe one).  

On 1/14/2022 at 7:42 AM, Mighty Hal said:

That's what the page sold for, but is it worth that much? In a different post on these boards, it's said that there were only two bidders once it hit $1.5M (an insane number already, IMO). If either had dropped out, it would have hammered for less than half the final tally--and most of us would have been amazed at that number. 

The page was worth over $1.5M to two bidders. It was worth $3.36 to one bidder. Unless there are at least two wealthy bidders interested in the OA suggested in this post, none of them will come close to these numbers.

Yep. The transitive property doesn't work much of the time in this hobby.

Edited by delekkerste

On 1/14/2022 at 9:00 AM, delekkerste said:

What known OA should go for more?  So, so many other pieces should go for more. Just as there were so, so many other pieces that should have been worth more than the Hulk #328 cover and its $657,250 price tag way back in 2012, but, the number of pieces that have sold at that level or above in almost a decade since (excluding Frazetta and other quasi-comic works) you can count on two hands (maybe one).  

Yep. The transitive property doesn't work much of the time in this hobby.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Incredible_Hulk_Vol_1_328

(shrug)

On 1/14/2022 at 2:54 AM, Shin-Kaiser said:

Hate to be that guy, but it wasn't the first appearance of 'Venom' that sold for $3,360,000 but the first appearance of Spider-Man wearing the symbiote costume.

But, it's only the first appearance of Spider-Man wearing the symbiote costume in continuity. In actual real-time, Amazing Spider-Man #252 came out 7 months earlier (May 1984 cover date, January 1984 release date) than Secret Wars #8 (December 1984 cover date, August 1984 release date).  So there are actually dozens (or more) pages featuring Spidey in that costume that were published prior to Secret Wars #8 across all of his titles (ASM, PPSS, MTU) plus ancillary appearances (e.g., Marvel Age).

Edited by delekkerste

On 1/14/2022 at 6:31 AM, Shin-Kaiser said:

The fact that this Secret Wars page sold for so much, probably has a lot to do with historical significance rather than artistic merit.

If a page can sell for over $3 Million, I have a feeling an equally significant cover should do as well if not better, regardless of what it's composed of.

Funny thing is, it's not the first time we saw the black costume. ASM #252 was published first; I would think the cover art to 252, which is a much better image anyway, could go for more than $3.3M.

On 1/14/2022 at 3:49 AM, tth2 said:

Logically, the following should be more valuable, although it's still hard for me to believe that they would be:

1.  AF 15--virtually every page from the Spidey story, but at a minimum the opening splash, panel with 1st Spidey in costume, page where Spidey lets the burglar get away, page where he realizes the person who killed Uncle Ben is the burglar)

2.  X-Men 1--opening splash

3.  X-Men 1--panel with first Magneto

4.  TOS 39--opening splash

5.  Hulk 181--cover

6.  GSX 1--cover

7.  ASM 252--cover  

Tim, I agree with you.

But you and I are of the same vintage.  The Millennials and Gen Zers I know that are into Marvel are much more about the cinematic universe and the characters that have been melded into their pop culture zeitgeist.  And I am here to tell you that Venom and Deadpool are the 800 lb Gorillas to that age group. You factor in dudes that dumped a couple grand into crypto in 2013 that is worth 15 million now, and i think we are going to see more of the shift from what has been historically significant to Boomers and Gen Xers to what moves the under 40 crowd.   

On 1/14/2022 at 10:35 AM, fsumavila said:

Funny thing is, it's not the first time we saw the black costume. ASM #252 was published first; I would think the cover art to 252, which is a much better image anyway, could go for more than $3.3M.

I remember at an NYC OA meet-up in the mid-2010s (call it 2015, plus or minus a year), I was trying to convince one of the biggest BSDs in our hobby that the ASM #252 cover was worth $150K at the time.  He just couldn't believe it was worth that much!  But, whether it was worth $80K or $150K or $250K at the time, it's amazing to compare what it was worth not that long ago to what it is potentially worth now. :ohnoez: 

On 1/14/2022 at 2:05 PM, delekkerste said:

But, it's only the first appearance of Spider-Man wearing the symbiote costume in continuity. In actual real-time, Amazing Spider-Man #252 came out 7 months earlier (May 1984 cover date, January 1984 release date) than Secret Wars #8 (December 1984 cover date, August 1984 release date).  So there are actually dozens (or more) pages featuring Spidey in that costume that were published prior to Secret Wars #8 across all of his titles (ASM, PPSS, MTU) plus ancillary appearances (e.g., Marvel Age).

I'd be surprised if a Spider-Man comic fan exists that doesn't know these facts...

There's also that Marvel tales Spider-Man and Daredevil book that came out around the same time as ASM #252...competing for 1st appearance.

The cover to ASM #252 should command a hefty price....the others before Secret Wars 8...significantly less I'd imagine due to there not being a 'stand out' page that people identify as the 2nd, 3rd, 4th appearance

On 1/14/2022 at 10:54 AM, SuperBird said:

I would imagine that this sale just ushers in a new era of $1m+ sales? I can think of so many things that should go for more than this page did...

I guess it depends on the bidder and underbidder's finances and commitment to buying more big pieces.    Is this kind of a one off for them?   Its probably not one of the 'usual suspect' buyers at this price level.

On 1/14/2022 at 11:00 AM, Shin-Kaiser said:

I'd be surprised if a Spider-Man comic fan exists that doesn't know these facts...

Well, then prepare to be surprised, because I'm hearing reports that the buyer was a noob who knows very little about comics.  I've heard one report that it's a crypto guy, and another report that said it's a sports card guy.  He could very well be both, as there are certainly guys who are involved in both crypto and sports cards (like myself and @exitmusicblue , among others I'm sure).

Edited by delekkerste

On 1/14/2022 at 11:11 AM, delekkerste said:

Well, then prepare to be surprised, because I'm hearing reports that the buyer was a noob who knows very little about comics.  I've heard one report that it's a crypto guy, and another report that said he's a sports card guy.  He could very well be both, as there are guys who are involved in crypto, sports cards and comics/OA.  Like, well, myself and @exitmusicblue , among others I'm sure.

I know nothing about the buyer, but at a gut level that was my immediate intuition.   Sports cards guy.  Its just such an aggressive bid and that's the one buyer pool more than any other that doesn't seem to give a flying fork about past pricing comps.

Edited by Bronty

On 1/14/2022 at 11:11 AM, delekkerste said:

Well, then prepare to be surprised, because I'm hearing reports that the buyer was a noob who knows very little about comics.  I've heard one report that it's a crypto guy, and another report that said it's a sports card guy.  He could very well be both, as there are certainly guys who are involved in both crypto and sports cards (like myself and @exitmusicblue , among others I'm sure).

In any case, it took two to do this tango. So at least one other guy wanted this page for $3 million.