• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Beats $3,360,000?
2 2

120 posts in this topic

The thing is, I see these prices in contemporary art all the time!

I personally feel that recent Comic Art sales prices have been a little too low. The recent sale of the cover to ASM #300 wasn't even $1 million for goodness sake! that really surprised me!!

I've heard a lot of comic art collectors say that comic art prices have room to grow. Isn't this growing room we're seeing then?

On 1/15/2022 at 12:11 AM, delekkerste said:

Well, then prepare to be surprised, because I'm hearing reports that the buyer was a noob who knows very little about comics. 

Why did he pick this particular page of all pages?  It's bizarre to me.

It's like if I knew nothing about baseball or sport cards and decided to suddenly pick a Hall of Famer, but not a GOAT level of Hall of Famer whose name would be known to the general public, from the 1980s and drive his rookie card multiples beyond not just what his card previously sold for, but beyond what any baseball card ever sold for.  

So I guess I'm going to bid up the next 10.0 Robin Yount rookie card to $15-20m.  Would someone volunteer to be the underbidder?

On 1/14/2022 at 11:23 AM, Shin-Kaiser said:

I personally feel that recent Comic Art sales prices have been a little too low. The recent sale of the cover to ASM #300 wasn't even $1 million for goodness sake! that really surprised me!!

I've heard a lot of comic art collectors say that comic art prices have room to grow. Isn't this growing room we're seeing then?

If people are paying $1,000,000 for zombie juice to mutate and update their NFT avatar, then there is a lot of room for comic art to grow.

On 1/14/2022 at 4:28 PM, tth2 said:

It's like if I knew nothing about baseball or sport cards and decided to suddenly pick a Hall of Famer, but not a GOAT level of Hall of Famer whose name would be known to the general public, from the 1980s and drive his rookie card multiples beyond not just what his card previously sold for, but beyond what any baseball card ever sold for.  

So I guess I'm going to bid up the next 10.0 Robin Yount rookie card to $15-20m.  Would someone volunteer to be the underbidder?

I'm guessing someone told the winner "First appearance of venom blah blah blah" and they just saw dollar signs.

As others have mentioned, it got down to two bidders after 1.2 mil or so. At that point I reckon it was more a pride/d*ck measuring contest rather than actually wanting the art.

Edited by Shin-Kaiser
spelling

On 1/14/2022 at 11:28 AM, tth2 said:

Because it was available for sale and caught his attention when he looked over the catalog he was sent.    Its probably that simple.

These guys do tend to have an investment mindset and first appearance focus so there was probably a level of "black spider-man first appearance" naive (or at least just not jaded like the rest of us) enthusiasm.

Edited by Bronty

On 1/14/2022 at 8:40 AM, seanfingh said:

Tim, I agree with you.

But you and I are of the same vintage.  The Millennials and Gen Zers I know that are into Marvel are much more about the cinematic universe and the characters that have been melded into their pop culture zeitgeist.  And I am here to tell you that Venom and Deadpool are the 800 lb Gorillas to that age group. You factor in dudes that dumped a couple grand into crypto in 2013 that is worth 15 million now, and i think we are going to see more of the shift from what has been historically significant to Boomers and Gen Xers to what moves the under 40 crowd.   

For my kids (early 20's) Deadpool comics and Cartoon Network Teen Titans are their biggest superhero-nostalgia touchstones. MCU and DCU movies to a degree, but lesser.

On 1/14/2022 at 11:47 AM, Bronty said:

Because it was available for sale and caught his attention when he looked over the catalog he was sent.    Its probably that simple.

These guys do tend to have an investment mindset and first appearance focus so there was probably a level of "black spider-man first appearance" naive (or at least just not jaded like the rest of us) enthusiasm.

Doesn't it seem far more likely that the owner of the ASM 252 cover (and the SW8 cover) won this SW8 page?

On 1/14/2022 at 12:31 PM, Bronty said:

So you figure the guy who paid very little for the much better piece, then went and paid through the absolute nose for a worse piece?   To me, that's the least likely of all scenarios.    If you bought the Dark Knight 2 cover for 400k, would you pay 5m for a panel?    There's no chance of that.

Not sure what comparison you're making, which is irrelevant since...

I figure the guy who already owns two black Spider-Man costume covers, who has (basically) limitless amounts of money, bought this page for over 3 million. How is that not the most likely scenario.

If you mean the cover, it doesn't exist.   Some of the early strip art does or did.

Most golden age covers and even pages just don't exist though.    Its not until about 1960 that things start getting saved regularly.

Edited by Bronty

On 1/14/2022 at 12:59 PM, Bronty said:

try reading what I wrote then.

When you said "So you figure the guy who paid very little for the much better piece, then went and paid through the absolute nose for a worse piece", which piece are you referring to as the "much better piece" compared to the SW interior page? Unless I'm misunderstanding the context....

On 1/14/2022 at 11:23 AM, Shin-Kaiser said:

The sale of the ASM 300 cover was nowhere near $1M, and yet it was a very strong price at the time

On 1/14/2022 at 12:40 PM, Phill the Governor said:

Not sure what comparison you're making, which is irrelevant since...

I figure the guy who already owns two black Spider-Man costume covers, who has (basically) limitless amounts of money, bought this page for over 3 million. How is that not the most likely scenario.

Cause I thought he collects only covers?

On 1/14/2022 at 10:13 AM, Phill the Governor said:

"So you figure the guy who paid very little for the much better piece, then went and paid through the absolute nose for a worse piece", which piece are you referring to as the "much better piece" compared to the SW interior page? Unless I'm misunderstanding the context....

Pretty sure Bronty was referring to the collector-dealer who already owns Marvel Secret Wars 8 Zeck cover or ASM #252 original art of ASM first black costume cover to not sully their collection by vastly overpaying to the tune of $3 mil for an inferior Zeck panel page. May breakeven in 20 years unless top bidder was actor Tom Hardy.