• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Beats $3,360,000?
2 2

120 posts in this topic

This one:

194519795_Screenshot_2020-03-31-1st-flash-gordon-jpg-WEBP-Image-1024--830-pixels-Scaled-94.thumb.png.feabcc3640395b8472708893cd586e80.png

If the panel that is not the first Venon appearance, neither the one from black costume, is worth $3.3 million, this original art from Flash Gordon, due to being from Platinum Era, hence for being much scarcer and also to belong to a far more popular/read character, should be worth over 100.000.000 million dollars.

Or perhaps the aforementioned panel should be worth something like $33.600 and the above OA continue to be a half million piece or a bit upgraded

On 1/14/2022 at 8:00 AM, delekkerste said:

What known OA should go for more?  So, so many other pieces should go for more. Just as there were so, so many other pieces that should have been worth more than the ASM #328 cover and its $657,250 price tag way back in 2012, but, the number of pieces that have sold at that level or above in almost a decade since (excluding Frazetta and other quasi-comic works) you can count on two hands (maybe one).  

Yep. The transitive property doesn't work much of the time in this hobby.

Ooh, a math term. I'm all atwitter!

On 1/14/2022 at 6:42 AM, Mighty Hal said:

That's what the page sold for, but is it worth that much? In a different post on these boards, it's said that there were only two bidders once it hit $1.5M (an insane number already, IMO). If either had dropped out, it would have hammered for less than half the final tally--and most of us would have been amazed at that number. 

The page was worth over $1.5M to two bidders. It was worth $3.36 to one bidder. Unless there are at least two wealthy bidders interested in the OA suggested in this post, none of them will come close to these numbers.

Not to split hairs, but was that $1.5 the bid or the bid with BP?  It would put it  lot closer to that 3.36

On 1/14/2022 at 1:45 PM, aardvark88 said:

Pretty sure Bronty was referring to the collector-dealer who already owns Marvel Secret Wars 8 Zeck cover or ASM #252 original art of ASM first black costume cover to not sully their collection by vastly overpaying to the tune of $3 mil for an inferior Zeck panel page. May breakeven in 20 years unless top bidder was actor Tom Hardy.

That's what I thought he was referring to.

I stand by my original statement. Unless someone else comes forward, my guess is that the SW8 interior page was bought by that same collector- the one who owns the ASM252 & SW8 cover. Considering the SW8 cover is not posted on CAF, like the 252, they have other pieces we don't know about. It's an assumption that the collector only collects covers and wouldn't go after a complimentary interior page given the content- no matter the price.

I am basing this solely on the budget of the collector, which is.... more than anyone here, for the sake of the conversation. That coupled with the fear of missing out on pieces nowadays when everything just keeps trending upwards.... makes for a piece that can be bid up to 3+mil by someone who has over 1billion dollars. It's not about breaking even.

This is the most likely scenario IMO.

Edited by Phill the Governor

On 1/14/2022 at 8:23 PM, Phill the Governor said:

That's what I thought he was referring to.

I stand by my original statement. Unless someone else comes forward, my guess is that the SW8 interior page was bought by that same collector- the one who owns the ASM252 & SW8 cover. Considering the SW8 cover is not posted on CAF, like the 252, they have other pieces we don't know about. It's an assumption that the collector only collects covers and wouldn't go after a complimentary interior page given the content- no matter the price.

I am basing this solely on the budget of the collector, which is.... more than anyone here, for the sake of the conversation. That coupled with the fear of missing out on pieces nowadays when everything just keeps trending upwards.... makes for a piece that can be bid up to 3+mil by someone who has over 1billion dollars. It's not about breaking even.

This is the most likely scenario IMO.

I stand with @Bronty on this. It makes no sense for someone who paid a good price for some great pages to then pay an astronomical price for a page that would be sub par in their collection. I don't understand why you think this is the most likely scenario?

Another scenario, as others have mentioned, is that it's a comic art collector noob with deep pockets. This seems more likely to me.

On 1/14/2022 at 3:34 PM, Phill the Governor said:

I stand corrected!  (:

It’s just bidder psychology.    For a usual suspect to come out of their boots it will essentially never be for a piece inferior to a similar example  what they already own.    Roberts owns the TMNT1 art and paid 250k at the time right?    Chances of him pulling down say the cover to TMNT #9 for $1,500,000 if it hit the block tomorrow are nil.    He already has the cover #9 wishes it was. 

Edited by Bronty

On 1/14/2022 at 3:40 PM, Shin-Kaiser said:

I stand with @Bronty on this. It makes no sense for someone who paid a good price for some great pages to then pay an astronomical price for a page that would be sub par in their collection. I don't understand why you think this is the most likely scenario?

Another scenario, as others have mentioned, is that it's a comic art collector noob with deep pockets. This seems more likely to me.

Aside from now having confirmation it's not the owner of the 252 and sw8 covers who bought this interior...

I would still argue from the perspective that 99% the new people in the hobby start off relatively small and work up from there.

I don't agree that the black costume interior is sub-par compared to covers. IMO, first appearance, origin & otherwise undeniably classic interior art is regarded by some percentage of people in the hobby to be top-tier- pieces that can rival covers in terms of desirability.

On 1/14/2022 at 3:42 PM, Bronty said:

It’s just bidder psychology.    For a usual suspect to come out of their boots it will essentially never be for a piece inferior to what they already own.    Roberts owns the TMNT1 art and paid 250k at the time right?    Chances of him pulling down say the cover to TMNT #9 for $1,500,000 if it hit the block tomorrow are nil.    He already has the cover #9 wishes it was. 

This makes sense in theory. I'm just looking at the numbers.

If a long time collector (who happens to have $1,000,000,000) sees a piece that they want, it doesn't seem ridiculous to see them paying 3mil for a piece, since $3mil is alot closer to $250,000 than it is to 1bil.

That seems more likely than some random person who has never bought comic art, to suddenly throw 3mil at a piece. But with crypto money and all that... definitely more possible nowadays than ever before I guess.

Edited by Phill the Governor
spelling

On 1/14/2022 at 3:53 PM, Phill the Governor said:

Aside from now having confirmation it's not the owner of the 252 and sw8 covers who bought this interior...

I would still argue from the perspective that 99% the new people in the hobby start off relatively small and work up from there.

I don't agree that the black costume interior is sub-par compared to covers. IMO, first appearance, origin & otherwise undeniably classic interior art is regarded by some percentage of people in the hobby to be top-tier- pieces that can rival covers in terms of desirability.

This makes sense in theory. I'm just looking at the numbers.

If a long time collector (who happens to have $1,000,000,000) sees a piece that they want, it doesn't seem ridiculous to see them paying 3mil for a piece, since $3mil is alot closer to $250,000 than it is to 1bil.

That seems more likely than some random person who has never bought comic art, to suddenly throw 3mil at a piece. But with crypto money and all that... definitely more possible nowadays than ever before I guess.

Five years ago I might have agreed with you, but there's been a lot of money hopping from one collectible to another to another this past three years.    

In the fine art world, there are actually consultants that help their clients put together art portfolios based on what they want to achieve.  Could be people like that out there is the collectibles space too.

On 1/14/2022 at 12:40 PM, Shin-Kaiser said:

A lot of people have more money than brains

On 1/14/2022 at 11:28 AM, tth2 said:

Why did he pick this particular page of all pages?  It's bizarre to me.

It's like if I knew nothing about baseball or sport cards and decided to suddenly pick a Hall of Famer, but not a GOAT level of Hall of Famer whose name would be known to the general public, from the 1980s and drive his rookie card multiples beyond not just what his card previously sold for, but beyond what any baseball card ever sold for.  

So I guess I'm going to bid up the next 10.0 Robin Yount rookie card to $15-20m.  Would someone volunteer to be the underbidder?

I still haven't come to grips that THIS page is 3 million dollars !!!!!  I agree - why indeed ?!  I get that it's petty cool, but C'mon man .......

Logan Paul said he buys the Pokemon cards because it makes him feel like a kid again. He's a spoon but that is very self-aware. It could be as simple as that. Tons of people making mad cash at young ages with no concern about value or potential loss, just impulse and fun and what's next.

On 1/15/2022 at 8:36 AM, Heidjer Staecker said:

In the fine art world, there are actually consultants that help their clients put together art portfolios based on what they want to achieve.  Could be people like that out there is the collectibles space too.

Yes, I believe Jay maybruck of the original sparkle city comics offers that service for comic books

On 1/14/2022 at 11:11 AM, delekkerste said:

Well, then prepare to be surprised, because I'm hearing reports that the buyer was a noob who knows very little about comics.  I've heard one report that it's a crypto guy, and another report that said it's a sports card guy.  He could very well be both, as there are certainly guys who are involved in both crypto and sports cards (like myself and @exitmusicblue , among others I'm sure).

I wonder who the underbidder was who pushed it up that high? Another reported noob?