• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Beats $3,360,000?
2 2

120 posts in this topic

On 1/14/2022 at 4:36 PM, Heidjer Staecker said:

In the fine art world, there are actually consultants that help their clients put together art portfolios based on what they want to achieve.  Could be people like that out there is the collectibles space too.

I think there was talk a few years back of Spencer Beck doing this with a group of investors who wanted to make a comic art portfolio.

On 1/14/2022 at 3:49 AM, tth2 said:

Logically, the following should be more valuable, although it's still hard for me to believe that they would be:

1.  AF 15--virtually every page from the Spidey story, but at a minimum the opening splash, panel with 1st Spidey in costume, page where Spidey lets the burglar get away, page where he realizes the person who killed Uncle Ben is the burglar)...

Are the single known pages from Batman #1 and Marvel Comics #1 not good enough to even get mentioned anymore?

The Batman page even has the Joker card (and Joker) in it, and now that Subby will be joining the MCU...

On 1/15/2022 at 2:31 AM, MrBedrock said:

Since historical significance seems to be the basis for the price, not artistic merit, my bias says the Action 15 cover art, which exists as the earliest known Superman cover, should be worth at least five times as much.

But that is just an opinion.

I think what I'm hearing from those in the know is "historical significance" means "historical significance to Millennial crypto guys".

And they all think Superman is lame. 

On 1/15/2022 at 1:25 AM, Timely said:

Apparently this story is getting traction. My dad just called me asking me why anyone would pay over 3 million dollars for a single page from a comic! Lol

Yep, the story is all over the news sites. BBC, Sky News, CNN - even all over social media! Normally you wouldn't hear a peep from past auction sales. This is big news for the hobby. Hold onto your hats - I'd expect to see an influx of new collectors coming soon!

The last time I remember a comic art sale made a splash so big it was noticed outside the hobby was the sale of the McFarlane Spidey cover in 2012. The one where Spider-Man's punching the Hulk. At the time it was the most expensive Comic Art sold at $657,250. I heard about the sale and I wasn't even into collecting comic art at the time.

On 1/15/2022 at 4:42 AM, Bronty said:

Roberts owns the TMNT1 art and paid 250k at the time right?    Chances of him pulling down say the cover to TMNT #9 for $1,500,000 if it hit the block tomorrow are nil.    He already has the cover #9 wishes it was. 

Was the TMNT cover part of that auction?  Or was it just the interior pages? 

On 1/15/2022 at 3:20 AM, tth2 said:

I think what I'm hearing from those in the know is "historical significance" means "historical significance to Millennial crypto guys".

Yes, but they love the Joker.

So the Batman #1 page is probably the one that would/could pass the record.

On 1/15/2022 at 9:28 AM, Terry JSA said:
On 1/15/2022 at 2:01 AM, Bluemedgroup said:

I don't know enough about OA, but how come no one has mentioned the obvious, Action Comics 1 app of Superman?  That would be at least $25 million I would think. 

I’m pretty sure that doesn’t exist. 

Yes, it has to be art that is known to exist.  

On 1/15/2022 at 12:20 AM, tth2 said:

from those in the know is "historical significance" means "historical significance to Millennial crypto guys".

Crypto guys, factory sealed WATA graded video game specs, and Pokemon base set sealed box collectors are fueling the collectibles 'bubble'?

On 1/16/2022 at 7:35 AM, zhamlau said:
On 1/15/2022 at 4:31 PM, tth2 said:

Yes, it has to be art that is known to exist.  

A comic art collector I know who started collecting art in the late 60s saw it in person around 1977. 

Wasn't this debate already held on these boards at some point, and didn't you already convincingly lose the debate?