• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scheduled for Grading
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I just had A 60 book Modern shipment arrive at CGC headquarters and the lot is now “Scheduled for Grading”.  Current turnaround times for this tier, working days, is 178 days.  Reading posts and watching YouTube videos, a few folks commented that they received their books back in a fraction of the time, less than what was stated.  Curious if anyone has also experienced a shorter than expected turnarounda.

On 1/14/2022 at 12:16 PM, Jfend72 said:

Hi all,

I just had A 60 book Modern shipment arrive at CGC headquarters and the lot is now “Scheduled for Grading”.  Current turnaround times for this tier, working days, is 178 days.  Reading posts and watching YouTube videos, a few folks commented that they received their books back in a fraction of the time, less than what was stated.  Curious if anyone has also experienced a shorter than expected turnarounda.

nothing wrong with the question, but you almost certainly have no control over any of it, so it makes more sense to just expect the worst, and if it comes back earlier then great.  Unless you were counting on 10-12 months because you're deploying for the military and are now afraid it will come back in 3-4 months while you are serving overseas, in which case you should absolutely contact CGC and see if they can help you out by shipping after a certain date.  

On 1/14/2022 at 3:16 PM, Jfend72 said:

Hi all,

Yes, there is a big discussion going on about this. CGC is taking some orders at random and treating them to a new grading techinque that would make much quicker turn around times. However, I have read that the grades are coming back lower than expected so maybe it's best your books didn't get picked for that pilot program

Edited by William-James88

I had a 10 book submission received on Oct 29th, 2021. I checked on it a week later and it said "shipping". I thought I did something wrong and they were sending the books back to me, as I have never had CGC act so quickly. But no, they were done and I had the 10 books in hand on Nov 9th, 2021. I will say that all 10 books were the same book and got the same grade and page color. SO not sure how long they took on the books or if they were "cookie cuttered", meaning looked at one and the rest looked the same so they gave it all the same grade, slabbed it and sent it out.

I sent in 2 modern orders in October. One had 12 comics and the other had 25. They both took a little over a month. Now, I still have orders there since June and May but I somehow got these back.

I emailed and asked what the deal was and got this response:

"Thank you for your inquiry.  Currently, CGC is testing out a new production process, the end goal of which is to speed up our overall service times for all departments.  During this testing phase, you may see some individual invoices being processed at a much faster rate than other invoices or the normal turnaround time for that tier.  We are hopeful that if this new process is successful after the testing phase, we can implement this on all submissions and tiers to dramatically improve all turnaround times. "

Then I asked how they decide and got this response:

"It is at random , all tiers of service, we are just testing it out on certain submissions from the time they are received, it is not a service we offer or anything like that."

I sent two comics in which CGC received on 9/13/21 fast track economy (with an alleged turnaround time of 72 days in the month of Sept.) that have been in the Grading/Encapsulation/Imaging for over 2 months, not to mention I have a Jim Lee signing that was received 07/06/21 (grading/quality control in over 3 months). I have no faith in the turnaround times that CGC estimates. I wonder sometimes is it worth the hassle