• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First use of word superhero and what would alternate terms be?
2 2

38 posts in this topic

According to wikipedia the word superhero dates back to 1899, however they do not state where.  In August 1937, in a letter column of the pulp magazine Thrilling Wonder Stories, the word superhero was used to define the title character of the comic strip Zarnak by Max Plaisted.  According to Mike Benton, in Superhero Comics of the Golden Age: The Illustrated History (1992), “Although the term 'superhero' was used as early as 1917 to describe a public figure of great talents or accomplishments, the early comic book heroes were usually referred to by their creators as 'costumed characters’ or as ‘long-underwear’ or ‘union-suit’ heroes.” They were also called “mystery men.” 

I was wondering if that term superhero hadnt been latched onto,  what other term might have been used?  One of the above or something else?
Go.

On 1/14/2022 at 7:20 PM, kav said:

According to wikipedia the word superhero dates back to 1899, however they do not state where.  In August 1937, in a letter column of the pulp magazine Thrilling Wonder Stories, the word superhero was used to define the title character of the comic strip Zarnak by Max Plaisted.  According to Mike Benton, in Superhero Comics of the Golden Age: The Illustrated History (1992), “Although the term 'superhero' was used as early as 1917 to describe a public figure of great talents or accomplishments, the early comic book heroes were usually referred to by their creators as 'costumed characters’ or as ‘long-underwear’ or ‘union-suit’ heroes.” They were also called “mystery men.” 

I was wondering if that term superhero hadnt been latched onto,  what other term might have been used?  One of the above or something else?
Go.

Eternal

I'm no scholar, and no expert, but love the question.

I'm not sure how reliable wiki would be.  Isn't wiki able to be updated or changed by many people?  Is there a stipulation as to who can and cannot add/change/update? 

Maybe the term was used long before comics were ever introduced, and used in a written form that eventually evolved into comics?  Maybe it was used in languages long ago.

Legends abound in many cultures about Heroes.  It would really take some digging to nail this down.

On 1/15/2022 at 6:51 AM, Chief1332 said:

I'm no scholar, and no expert, but love the question.

I'm not sure how reliable wiki would be.  Isn't wiki able to be updated or changed by many people?  Is there a stipulation as to who can and cannot add/change/update? 

Maybe the term was used long before comics were ever introduced, and used in a written form that eventually evolved into comics?  Maybe it was used in languages long ago.

Legends abound in many cultures about Heroes.  It would really take some digging to nail this down.

yes the other source I googled contradicted wiki.  Many wiki pages can be edited, but this is not one of them.  Not sure how that works.  @Buzzetta knows more.

On 1/15/2022 at 2:49 PM, kav said:

yes the other source I googled contradicted wiki.  Many wiki pages can be edited, but this is not one of them.  Not sure how that works.  @Buzzetta knows more.

Certain level subjects have certain protocols in place to ensure that certain level users are the only ones that can change them.  

On 1/15/2022 at 1:23 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

4c1810e675550b65c236710af5a52dd2--i-love-redheads-carrot-top.jpg.7d2558d6e359eba4a73c56d2e1303008.jpg

Carrot Bottom.  Rug matches the drapes-