• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First use of word superhero and what would alternate terms be?
2 2

38 posts in this topic

On 1/14/2022 at 10:20 PM, kav said:

According to wikipedia the word superhero dates back to 1899, however they do not state where.  In August 1937, in a letter column of the pulp magazine Thrilling Wonder Stories, the word superhero was used to define the title character of the comic strip Zarnak by Max Plaisted.  According to Mike Benton, in Superhero Comics of the Golden Age: The Illustrated History (1992), “Although the term 'superhero' was used as early as 1917 to describe a public figure of great talents or accomplishments, the early comic book heroes were usually referred to by their creators as 'costumed characters’ or as ‘long-underwear’ or ‘union-suit’ heroes.” They were also called “mystery men.” 

I was wondering if that term superhero hadnt been latched onto,  what other term might have been used?  One of the above or something else?
Go.

Mystery Men is out.  I don't think you're allowed to say "men" anymore. 

Not inclusive enough. 

On 1/15/2022 at 6:52 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Mystery Men is out.  I don't think you're allowed to say "men" anymore. 

Not inclusive enough. 

Mystery Hominid DNA Carriers.

On 1/15/2022 at 4:39 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

mr7b3yqb.gif.0cfe74208852de36f69f2b3957dcd757.gif

Hide contents

butt-break.gif.218adbec4ebde58b8188782a3831d8e0.gif

Anyone else squeeze their buttcheeks while they watched this? 

I believe Jeff Rovin's "Encyclopedia of Super-Heroes" from the 1980s goes into detail about this but my recollection of exactly what he reported is foggy. I do know "Super-Man" was used for a house ad advertising Doc Savage pulp stories, pre-dating Action #1. Doc Savage was an homage to the early adventurer and actor Douglas Fairbanks Sr. whose Silent Films are the DNA of Golden Age Comics as all of the early creators grew up on him. The lineage of costumed crime fighters and their origins is really fascinating but easily tracked.

On 1/18/2022 at 12:00 AM, Raze said:

What book is this from?

It's John Carter, isn't it? Don't know the issue, but I think it's him?