• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Multiple Copies of a Book
11 11

304 posts in this topic

On 1/15/2022 at 1:18 AM, Math Teacher said:

If you have multiple copies of the same book, could you please explain your reasoning about that? I would like to be enlightened.

It just happens sometimes. Like I want a specific book but it's part of a lot that has other books in it that I already have. And I don't bother selling those books. Or I upgrade and just didn't bother selling the lower grade book. Also sometimes it is speculation, like a book that might be key one day is just so damn cheap now that I get a few more to then pick the one I like best and sell the rest if ever it goes big (like people used to do with x-men 128 when they would find it in the bins at a convention).

On 1/15/2022 at 1:45 AM, batman_fan said:

IMG_2027.jpg

Why issue 23 specifically?

On 1/16/2022 at 11:47 PM, batman_fan said:

Jungle Action 23 was one of the 1st comics I bought off the newsstand as a kid when I 1st started collecting.  I loved the cover.  Fast forward to several years back and I got the chance to buy the original cover art.

jungle_action_23.jpg.892b4e15af747c7bbf2824440fd1882c.jpg

ah that is so amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A really cool story. My first comic was a reissue of X-Men 3 that came with a marvel legends figure. I don't think I'll ever own that cover art, haha

I wouldn't mind having looker and reader copies, but as someone who simply collects TPBs/HCs/etc, I don't really have a need for more than 1 floppy. I bought 5 copies of the Justice League #59 ZSJL variants simply because of the importance of the event. Planned on handing out a few to friends/family.

On 1/16/2022 at 12:43 PM, mr_highgrade said:

:whistle:

20201122_134433.jpg

20211120_165243~2.jpg

These are all newsstands, so we need the story. 

Assuming you bought these new in 1992, did your city have a local comic shop that sold direct editions? 

If so, did they sell out of this issue before you purchased these newsstands? 

Regardless, how many newsstands/stores did you have to visit to obtain this many newsstand issues? 

Or is the story less exciting, that you bought all the newsstands on purpose much more recently from various sellers on eBay:foryou:

For me, part of the fun in collecting is the thrill of the hunt. I don't generally seek out multiples, but if I find a key or a good GA or Platinum in the wild, and the price is right, it's that thrill of finding it and the story I can tell that makes me buy it, even if I already have it. Just as an example, I found an Iron Fist 14 sitting unbagged in a stack at an antique store a few years ago. It was lower than the copy I already had, but it was just sitting there in a stack of dollar books, and the price was very good (more than a dollar, but still). I've gotten a few multiples like that.

A lot of the other comics, it's just my bad memory that leads to things like half a dozen copies of Death: The High Cost of Living taking up space.

I feel a momentary loss of enthusiasm whenever I see big-key multiples at a dealer or in auction house office photos. There's an idea of special scarcity with the older major keys, and when I spot multiples in a single occurrence it causes dissonance and a brief disheartening. I do enjoy collecting multiples, it just happens to be less popular stuff.

Edited by KirbyTown