• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Multiple Copies of a Book
11 11

304 posts in this topic

On 1/15/2022 at 2:41 PM, adamstrange said:

Do you wear one shoe?

Do you stop at just one cookie?

It's risky to assume that just one copy of a great is enough.  Better to have multiple and not need them, them to need multiple and not have them. 

If one is good, two is better!  (thumbsu

I have a few dollar books that I buy pretty much every time I see them because I think they should be worth more.  I suspect that they probably won’t be, but if they ever are the pictures of me with dozens of them before I sell them off will be fun.

I also have multiples of some books because MCS was pricing them below market for a long time and I just added them to every order I had with them.  Thor 338 is an example.  They were selling copies for under $4 when it was probably a $15 book, so I just kept buying them when they were available.  Now they are pricing it correctly, so I will probably switch to selling from buying.

I also have a very few more expensive books that I am speculating on because I think the market will value them higher at some point.

Someone might of mentioned this, but another important factor is sentimental reasons. You read here all the time about older collectors having a raw they bought off the rack or inherited being important parts of their collections, don't wish to have entombed for sentimental reasons. If it holds significant value then it'll be up to their relatives to do what they will. So It would make perfect sense for someone to have a certified copy plus the one they wish to remain raw assuming they don't plan on selling!

I have a small example of an ASM 312 I have graded and another that belonged to my cousin he bought off the rack I recall from my childhood. I'd rather keep the raw copy exactly where it is :)

There are books I always grab when I find them cheap - like a couple of bucks cheap. Early-ish TMNT issues, certain issues in the Batman and Detective runs, and some books that used to be dollar bin books and have gotten more desirable but can still be found cheap in older shops, things like that. Stuff where you can usually buy it for a buck or two and sell it for $10 or so because you know they'll typically move. Sometimes I sell, sometimes I sit on them for various reasons. Just for Batman alone I have multiple copies of 404-407, 423, 426-429, 457, 475, 489, 608, 609 (actually the whole Hush run I guess), 655, 666, etc. It ends up just being a byproduct of doing a lot of deal hunting and buying lots and small collections.

On 1/15/2022 at 3:22 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Someone might of mentioned this, but another important factor is sentimental reasons.

This is exactly why I CGC'd those Murphy Anderson GA Revival books. I can't begin to tell you how many times I read SC #55. I loved the characters, who I didn't even know existed, and I loved that purple cover. Learning of these GA characters made me realize that there were a large number of comics that I didn't realize existed. Before I pass on, I would love to get a GA issue with a Dr. Fate cover and with an Hourman cover. Getting a Spectre cover would be cool too. You know, I just remembered that the GA Green Lantern was in SC #55 also.

Since those four books are relatively inexpensive, unless they decide to make a Dr. Fate, Hourman, Starman, or Black Canary movie, I could be buried with them. However, my family is well aware that I want to be cremated, and, just in case they forget, it's also in my will. So that plan of being buried them is moot.

Edited by Math Teacher