• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Laziness, Re-cycling and swiping in the GA.
9 9

274 posts in this topic

On 1/15/2022 at 8:48 AM, Jayman said:

I should include though, that if I had never seen the War Fury cover (which is far superior IMO). I might have a different opinion on the Horrific 3.

I've always liked both, as even though the Horrific #3 is clearly just a flipped stat from WF #1, it is still visually striking and the most eye-catching of the Heck big head covers for the run. 

On 1/16/2022 at 8:59 AM, rjpb said:

I've always liked both, as even though the Horrific #3 is clearly just a flipped stat from WF #1, it is still visually striking and the most eye-catching of the Heck big head covers for the run. 

I agree that it is striking, but I put it in the same category as Mister Mystery 12. Visually striking but not artistically pleasing (to me). This is still my favorite big head Heck cover.

Horrific # 8 CGC 8.0.JPG

Great stuff here.

I no longer have the images at my fingertips, but virtually every 1940-1941 Fox cover by Joe Simon had swiped figures and creatures, usually from multiple sources... hence why they often look kind of jumbled together.

On 1/16/2022 at 3:14 PM, Jayman said:

I agree that it is striking, but I put it in the same category as Mister Mystery 12. Visually striking but not artistically pleasing (to me). This is still my favorite big head Heck cover.

Horrific # 8 CGC 8.0.JPG

That's a beaut meister, I think I have only the one Don Heck. This humble offering. I love this book, you don't see it a lot.

nnny.jpg

There is so much swiping from everywhere in 40s comic books. Especially swiping Alex Raymond strips like Flash Gordon and Jungle Jim. Sheldon Moldoff's first few years of work is 80 percent Alex Raymond swipes. Bob Kane was probably the king of it, he swiped from everywhere possible. Swiping art and stories from pulps was super common. I posted tons of examples on a similar thread on here years ago

Just copying other comics or pulps was a super common thing, these things were hacked out fast, it wasn't art it, comic books were the lowest of low it was disposable junk and no one cared they just wanted a paycheck and speed was the thing so it didn't matter. The more somoene could swipe from somewhere else the faster they could crank this stuff out.

Reading this thread has inspired me to read 'Ten cent plague' again. It's a few years since I read it, such a great book.

What is worse than swiping is claiming credit for art you had no part in. Apparently Biro was the king of that type of jiggerypokery.

The cover to All American 16 is a swipe, at least the Green Lantern figure is. It's a copy from a Flash Gordon panel with the figure falling forward while being tackled. That's why GL looks like he's falling. I wish I had the Raymond drawing to show, maybe someone has it.