• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Laziness, Re-cycling and swiping in the GA.
9 9

274 posts in this topic

On 1/17/2022 at 10:33 AM, Robot Man said:

Some incredible detective work shown here. Thanks to all. Just another reason this is a much better place than IG or FB.

Threads like this are where, as a comic fan, you can really get an education.

This is really fascinating stuff.  Has any entrepreneur made a book out of this yet?  I'd buy that book in a heartbeat.

On 1/16/2022 at 4:54 PM, catman76 said:

There is so much swiping from everywhere in 40s comic books. Especially swiping Alex Raymond strips like Flash Gordon and Jungle Jim. Sheldon Moldoff's first few years of work is 80 percent Alex Raymond swipes. Bob Kane was probably the king of it, he swiped from everywhere possible. Swiping art and stories from pulps was super common. I posted tons of examples on a similar thread on here years ago

Just copying other comics or pulps was a super common thing, these things were hacked out fast, it wasn't art it, comic books were the lowest of low it was disposable junk and no one cared they just wanted a paycheck and speed was the thing so it didn't matter. The more somoene could swipe from somewhere else the faster they could crank this stuff out.

Exactly.  For this reason, I think that the word "Laziness" in the thread title is inappropriate.  It should instead be "Necessity".  

The more you cranked out the more work you got and thusly the more pay you got.