• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Laziness, Re-cycling and swiping in the GA.
9 9

274 posts in this topic

On 1/17/2022 at 4:08 PM, catman76 said:

Hal Foster swipes are almost as common as Alex Raymond swipes...

PrinceValiant.thumb.jpg.c317d43e68b0b33925bbf2d594a7d712.jpg

A nice detail from the Raymond ripped by Joe/Jack and full rip from them by on the pirate prince. I had a few others concerning this image but my beer goggles are fuzzy at this point in time. 

FD17036F-1D56-4C58-967E-2B7AB91734BD.jpeg

EFA1472D-6A0B-4397-A6EB-A92B83F71E4C.jpeg

On 1/17/2022 at 3:30 PM, gadzukes said:

How about this?  Did Schomburg swipe from this Pulp?

1.jpeg

1.jpeg

It's a little hard to say, though it's pretty close.  I think we have to differentiate between the true no-doubt swipes such as provided by Catman76, and those that are more conceptual swipes.  Some themes were simply very popular in the pulps / comics.  Bound women being carried off is a pretty common theme.  There are a number of pulp covers with women in glass tubes (though I think the example given is probably a true swipe of that specific cover).  I thought I was pretty familiar with many of the pulp-to-comic swipes, but hadn't even thought about all of the swipes from interior art and newspaper comics.  Great thread!

On 1/17/2022 at 6:30 PM, Cobbledclam said:

A nice detail from the Raymond ripped by Joe/Jack and full rip from them by on the pirate prince. I had a few others concerning this image but my beer goggles are fuzzy at this point in time. 

FD17036F-1D56-4C58-967E-2B7AB91734BD.jpeg

EFA1472D-6A0B-4397-A6EB-A92B83F71E4C.jpeg

That was the one I was thinking about. What is it from? 

On 1/18/2022 at 11:44 AM, Bookery said:

It's a little hard to say, though it's pretty close.  I think we have to differentiate between the true no-doubt swipes such as provided by Catman76, and those that are more conceptual swipes.  Some themes were simply very popular in the pulps / comics.  Bound women being carried off is a pretty common theme.  There are a number of pulp covers with women in glass tubes (though I think the example given is probably a true swipe of that specific cover).  I thought I was pretty familiar with many of the pulp-to-comic swipes, but hadn't even thought about all of the swipes from interior art and newspaper comics.  Great thread!

It's not a "traced" swipe, but the pose is SO close.... and the way the woman's arms are bound behind her back and at her ankles.

I think Schomburg was a good enough artist that he didn't have to do a Traceswipe (like Bob Kane did).  He just looked at the art and did his close rendition of it.

On 1/18/2022 at 12:41 PM, gadzukes said:

It's not a "traced" swipe, but the pose is SO close.... and the way the woman's arms are bound behind her back and at her ankles.

I think Schomburg was a good enough artist that he didn't have to do a Traceswipe (like Bob Kane did).  He just looked at the art and did his close rendition of it.

It is very close (and even the dress is still red)... so I do wobble back and forth on this one.  I guess I would have to see a wide selection of bound carried women images to determine if the pose is direct, or simply standard for the theme (guessing part of this last sentence is going to haunt me in some out-of-context way down the road!).  Swiping a pose is one thing, but I like your term "traceswipe" for some that go far beyond borrowing, homage, or even "inspired by" ... the Kane trace of Lou Fine's gorilla is pretty mind-boggling.