• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 122 my dad got me when I was younger.
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Hi!  I'm sorry for your loss.  I love stories like this of a hobby shared with pops.  Your pix, expecially of front cover, a bit dark/fuzzy, but clearly a nice book, overall nicer than suggested by the soft/rough front right bottom corner.  So I'm guessing could be as high as an 8.0?  Depending on when you might want to sell, there is the convenience of having it already slabbed (because the process could take many, many months) and the peace of mind associated with easily-determined valuation from a certified grade.  And whether or not you plan to sell, a slab provides protection, but a raw can be well-proteced with front-loaders and mylar, too.  The problem keeping it raw is the temptation to remove the book and handle it with the inevitable risk of damage.  That said, if selling today, there is some price compression between 8.0 and 7.0, both selling for about the same.  Because your book easily looks like a 7.0 at least, slabbing should not be necessary to get the value currently associated with a 7.0-8.0.  

A word of caution.  I, too, had a book loaded with sentimental value that I sent for slabbing just for protection as I planned to display it on a shelf or something, but the book was lost by the grading company (thrown out with the packing material! -- I had sent more than one book to them).  I was reimbursed, but of course the real damage was irreversible.  So if the book is loaded with sentimental value and you know you won't sell it, take heed! 

BTW, folks here like to practice their grading skills by evaluating raws like yours!   Here's the link, but I recommend brighter/clearer pix if you can. 

https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

GLWT whatever you do.  

Edited by Pantodude

It's great that you and your father got to enjoy those times together. I have two young boys (9 and 4) and we go to allot of shows and shops together. I'm hopeful they still want to do this with me when they are teenagers. But hopefully they will look back and cherish that time together as much as I do. 

I would leave the 122 raw. Especially if your not planning to sell it. ASM 121 and 122 are well known for their story. It would be a shame to encapsulate them and not be able to enjoy the story. 

On 1/15/2022 at 2:59 PM, KCode98 said:

I don't know if it was because I was an only child or what but yea...I had a pretty kickass dad. Not too get too far off track but my mom passed away when I was 18 so that left my dad and I by ourselves. We were always close before but after her passing we became all but best friends. Was bitter sweet but makes it that much worse when they are gone for good...

In reality this isn't "the book" that I remember him by. That would be this guy right here. Story of this one was he was out of town in Houston Texas and anytime he would go out of town he would check out the comic shops. One day he called home and was using the comic shop's phone (1994 so cell phones weren't a thing yet) and told me this comic shop was closing up. None of them were in really great shape but I got a lot of Marvel silver age books from this visit. Anyways he told me they had X-Men 4. Of course I am thinking the 1990's version but he said "No, it's .12 original one" So we went back and forth and I pulled out my Wizard and he said they were asking $40 for it. I verified which it was any he said "Magneto is looking down on the table of X-Men" I couldn't believe it. Here I was a 9 year old and I was going to be the owner of the 4th edition of X-Men! Even back then that was a big deal! 

But yea, the stories are where the value is at. Man do I ever miss the 80's and 90's!

thumbnail.jpg

Love the story and the memory! 

X4 is a great book I've never been lucky enough to own! Cherish it! 

Looking at it on my phone…it’s a very nice copy.  I think the 8.0estimate is low (again, on the phone so harder to see).  And, unless there’s something going on inside the book, that 7.0 estimate is way low.  
Agree I wouldn’t bother slabbing it at this point (unless you don’t mind waiting forever to get it back).  Put it in a Mylar, double boarded for additional protection.  

Thanks for sharing the great stories, these are the things that make the hobby so great, especially when you're talking about the sentimental value. You just can't replace those memories tied to the book(s). As far as your ASM 122, the only detractors I can see from the images are the spine ticks around the staples. The pages look really sharp. I think with a press, this book could maybe touch a 9.0, but probably no less than an 8.0 unless there's some other unseen problems, (small stain, rip, tear or crease). The X-Men 4 is harder to tell in the bag, but still looks pretty nice considering the "Marvel chipping" along the outer edge of the cover. Best wishes with whatever you choose to do.

Nah, just keep it in a Mylite2 with a full back an just enjoy it. I have a similar story with my mom. She would drive me all over Illinois to little conventions in the early 80’s. At one hotel con we were in the car about to leave when she asked me if I got everything I wanted. She must have seen me staring at this Marvel Team-up 1. I said I wanted it but I didn’t have the $10. She gave me a ten and said “Go get it”. Good stuff. 

Welcome To The Boards!!!

Sorry for your loss :frown:, LOVE the memories :cloud9:, I have those same type of memories of my Dad from Phillies games in the early/mid 60's.

That is a nice copy you have there (thumbsu, rather than sending it off to CGC at this time you can protect it by placing the book in a Mylar (Mylite) Bag with an Acid Free Board or you can place the book in a UV Protected Frame.

https://www.bcwsupplies.com/comic-book-showcase-silver-uv

And of course there is proper storage and/or display.

Be careful handling the book, clean your hands, when paging through the book be sure it is on a flat/clean surface, as you open the book allow the cover and pages to fall naturally, do not push down on the book to attempt to flatten it while it is opened to read or fold the book in any manner.

The book needs to be kept in a controlled environment, away from sources of heat and moisture and away from UV light (unless in a UV protected frame, CGC slabs are not UV protected)

Thanks For Sharing!!!

On 1/16/2022 at 6:58 AM, WoWitHurts said:

Nah, just keep it in a Mylite2 with a full back an just enjoy it. I have a similar story with my mom. She would drive me all over Illinois to little conventions in the early 80’s. At one hotel con we were in the car about to leave when she asked me if I got everything I wanted. She must have seen me staring at this Marvel Team-up 1. I said I wanted it but I didn’t have the $10. She gave me a ten and said “Go get it”. Good stuff. 

My parents never paid much attention to my comics unless I left them laying around.

My grandmother bought me a lot of comics. She was an antique collector. I would go to flea markets and shows with her. I was the only grandchild that showed any interest in old stuff. She would always buy me piles of comics when we ran into them. She taught me a lot about collecting. Very cool lady…