• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What should I do with this X-Men 266?
3 3

20 posts in this topic

This was one I got when I was a kid. Paid a whopping $11 back in 1994. I can't remember if it was a behind the counter book or what but I remember as a kid I tried to get cool first appearances if the covers were good looking. (I was and still am a cover art nerd. If it had an unattractive cover when I was little I wouldn't get it regardless what it was.)

Anyways is this one worth sending in to get graded? What do you guys think it will pull? I figure a 7.0 maybe

IMG_9079.jpg

IMG_9080.jpg

IMG_9081.jpg

IMG_9082.jpg

IMG_9083.jpg

IMG_9084.jpg

IMG_9085.jpg

On 1/15/2022 at 4:13 PM, William-James88 said:

Without a press, you could be right but this looks like the type of book that would really benefit from a press. It could end up 9.0.

I'm pretty new to this stuff. I know I've heard of pressing and even people using erasers on the covers (?) to make them appear better.

Anyways, I DO NOT know how to press a comic correctly. Any advice here? Is it easy or is there somewhere to send it?

On 1/15/2022 at 4:23 PM, KCode98 said:

I'm pretty new to this stuff. I know I've heard of pressing and even people using erasers on the covers (?) to make them appear better.

Anyways, I DO NOT know how to press a comic correctly. Any advice here? Is it easy or is there somewhere to send it?

Oh don't worry, CGC can press the book for you if ever you send it. They handle everything. You can read about their services on this site.

On 1/15/2022 at 4:33 PM, William-James88 said:

Oh don't worry, CGC can press the book for you if ever you send it. They handle everything. You can read about their services on this site.

Really? I thought "pressing" was a trick done by collectors to fool CGC into grading them higher. CGC actually offers services other than grading and casing? I need to check our their site like you say

On 1/15/2022 at 2:02 PM, KCode98 said:

If it had an unattractive cover when I was little I wouldn't get it regardless what it was.

He's talking about you, Avengers Annual 10. :roflmao:

On 1/15/2022 at 2:13 PM, William-James88 said:

Without a press, you could be right but this looks like the type of book that would really benefit from a press. It could end up 9.0.

+1

7.0/7.5 > C&P for 9.0.

On 1/15/2022 at 2:43 PM, KCode98 said:

I thought "pressing" was a trick done by collectors to fool CGC into grading them higher.

Exactly.

Thanks for posting.

On 1/15/2022 at 5:58 PM, Christophe9999 said:

IMO I think this book has the potential to be a 9.2 - 9.4 with a press. Plus it's a newsstand so definitely worth it!

Wow I just noticed that! It is a newsstand!

Just looked and saw the CSS pressing. I'm going to send it off for that and grading. I would be happy with anything over a 8.5!

On 1/15/2022 at 4:43 PM, KCode98 said:

Really? I thought "pressing" was a trick done by collectors to fool CGC into grading them higher. CGC actually offers services other than grading and casing? I need to check our their site like you say

It is a trick to get it higher but it's also not frowned upon. And it has become so popular that I would say it is now the norm among the collecting community. 

It's basically a more focused and effective version of putting a big weight over a book to fix a crease. 

You can PM me with more questions. This was new to me too and I learnt a lot in a short time, had to.

Not bad, a lot of pressable defects as others have said. However, it looks like there may be a small amount of color rub in the bottom right corner pic.

Bigger however, the top right corner between the two leaves doesn't look quite right to me, could be a little color touch. Look at 9.8 copies on Heritage. There's a couple of tan spots that I can't see here.

As is, 7.5 Qualified??? I could totally be wrong but that fourth pic just doesn't look like other copies I'm seeing.

On 1/15/2022 at 8:34 PM, Doctor Dositheus said:

Not bad, a lot of pressable defects as others have said. However, it looks like there may be a small amount of color rub in the bottom right corner pic.

Bigger however, the top right corner between the two leaves doesn't look quite right to me, could be a little color touch. Look at 9.8 copies on Heritage. There's a couple of tan spots that I can't see here.

As is, 7.5 Qualified??? I could totally be wrong but that fourth pic just doesn't look like other copies I'm seeing.

That's just the cut of the cover.