• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signature Series
3 3

15 posts in this topic

On 1/20/2022 at 11:30 AM, AJD said:

Not GA, but I'll take it.

zscrooge_60_barks_sig.thumb.jpg.3c6ed67aa43bf1c383b9971545ac7ff3.jpg

I love the ad page there. Get Gold Key :cloud9:

Would that be rare Andy, a Barks signature in a book?

On 1/20/2022 at 3:30 AM, AJD said:

Not GA, but I'll take it.

zscrooge_60_barks_sig.thumb.jpg.3c6ed67aa43bf1c383b9971545ac7ff3.jpg

Actually, I don’t see too many Barks autographs. I remember about 30 years ago, a bunch of his personal file copies turned up. They said something to the effect of “If you are in possession of this book it is stolen from the personal library of Carl Barks”. He wrote it at the bottom of the splash page. My buddy had a couple. He bought them from local So CA legend John McLaughlin.  Anybody ever see one of these? 

Seems like most GA creator autographs were signed long before CGC. No fees, or “Signature Series” back in the day. You could actually walk up to most anyone, spend a few minutes and get something signed. I have a ton of them. Almost always on the inside in ball point pen. 

On 1/20/2022 at 4:11 AM, AJD said:

I do have one GA book with a sig. A boardie unknowingly sold it to me about a decade ago. I offered it back at cost when I found the sig but he graciously allowed me to keep it. This is Weird Science Fantasy 24.

1484312340_WSF24int.jpg.fa8820455412a485770ef3bb9cf1bb36.jpg

Very cool discovery! A couple of years ago I bought an EC that wasn’t noted with a Reed Crandall autograph. Only one I’ve ever seen. Cool thing, it was signed in fountain pen. Obviously a very early autograph.

I don’t think I made myself clear when I created this topic. Signatures from the golden age were common amongst the kids that collected comics. Some had personal ink stamps to brand their property.

Here is another from the Arlene Nichols collection.

3FD263CA-5F2D-4816-9E03-FE7D6E9CC4AA.thumb.jpeg.138801cbc3165f93f6f80fdc22e99065.jpeg

On 1/21/2022 at 3:28 AM, tabcom said:

I don’t think I made myself clear when I created this topic. Signatures from the golden age were common amongst the kids that collected comics. Some had personal ink stamps to brand their property.

Sorry for the confusion. But I can certainly do previous owner sigs and stamps! I have several nice early WDC&S from the collection of Duane Mrohs, all neatly stamped. Because it's an unusual name it wasn't hard to find out about him. He went on to be a music recording engineer and lectured in music at the University of Michigan. He lived in Ann Arbor, Michigan and was active in the local film scene. That's the good news. The bad news is that he seems to have a pretty sad and solitary private life, and died in a house fire in October 1987, aged mid-50s, when his hoard of newspapers and magazines caught fire. See the press clipping below. I wonder now if these comics came out of an unburnt part of the house afterwards? It makes sense that a hoarder would keep them in pretty nice condition. I guess at least they've come to an appreciative home on the other side of the world.:sorry:

large.1745959114_wdcs_030.jpg.e48bb9b38983af0d92d0f639fd4db53a.jpg

large.5972a35274bd7_wdcs_029.jpg.c66f33ce3f687b015995ef2fadc68973.jpg

'Townie' killed in fire remembered image