• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FF5 vs X-Men 1
3 3

94 posts in this topic

So I have a very nice Fantastic Four 5 in a 5.0.  I love FF and Doctor Doom.  I am also a big X-Men fan.

X-Men 1 seems like it has dipped and I am getting tempted to sell the FF5 to get a 3.0 - 4.0 copy of X-Men 1 before it goes nuclear when the X-Men are announced in the MCU, but would likely never be able to purchase the FF5 again.

Of these two, if you could have one, which would you rather have in your collection?

Tough call.

For story and nostalgia- FF 5, That book is permanently etched in my memory as one of the all time classic comic stories.

For practical and financial considerations- X-men 1, First mutants (Cyclops, Beast, Iceman, Marvel Girl, Angel, Prof. X), first Magneto, not much more to say.  But the story isn't as good as FF 5, IMO.

X-Men 1 

Always been far more interested in the mutant team than in Doctor Doom.  Magneto's just as interesting a megalomaniac character to me. Don't like the ridiculous pirate story in FF5, and the Kirby art in the next issue of the series is far, far superior.

Of course, this is all purist and nothing to do with investment speculation, and possibly irrelevant opinions given the context.

Magneto is just as, if not more of, a compelling villain than Doom. Plus you get the first appearances of multiple core X-Men, characters that are already household names like Cyclops, Jean Grey, Professor Xavier, and possibly Beast. Iceman and Archangel have excellent potential to have their stories told, especially Archangel. Imagine getting the Apocalypse saga done right on film!! 

FF5 is a very lacklustre story, even for its time. 

I'd have to say I'd go with the X-Men 1.

On 1/16/2022 at 7:27 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Tough call.

For story and nostalgia- FF 5, That book is permanently etched in my memory as one of the all time classic comic stories.

For practical and financial considerations- X-men 1, First mutants (Cyclops, Beast, Iceman, Marvel Girl, Angel, Prof. X), first Magneto, not much more to say.  But the story isn't as good as FF 5, IMO.

FF 5's fun, mainly because of the Blackbeard / Thing bit.

I always found the idea of mutants and Magneto's angry, menacing attitude to be more darkly intense, and that's always been etched in my mind.  I should say I was only four years old when I first read it, though.

X-Men 1

I made a similar choice and while it took a little longer to explode, the X-Men 1 was the smarter choice in my opinion.

Eventually, Disney is going to put forth Dr Doom.   That's a given.  However, he will be the antagonist.  The heroes seem to increase in value more than the villains.   Look at what happened with Thanos.  That book has peaked while TOS39, Avengers 4, JIM83 continue to increase.

X-Men 1 introduces us to Magneto, who if done correctly could be more interesting that Doom, Xavier, Jean Grey, Cyclops, Iceman, Beast and Angel.  Pick any one of them to break out, *Jean Grey* <cough cough> Xavier and Magneto <cough cough> and you can thank me later. 

i agree that xmen1 is for sure the more important book. i sold my ff5 last year and immediately missed it. luckily i picked another lesser one up. but ff5 has also dipped a bit. still, i think selling ff5 for a nice looking x1 is a smart move. dont get cream pages on your x1 imho

X-MEN #1 without a moment's thought.  As AF15 & Hulk 1 prices jettison out of most mere mortals' income-reach (might as well start including FF1) - more and more eyes are focused on such blue chip grails like TOS39, ASM1 & of course X-MEN1<3 - comic collecting now is more or less about what the mob demands - and just looking at IG postings I see without a doubt an incredible excitement to add an X-MEN1 to the PC in any condition....  no doubt FF5 is a super grail but of the 2 if sadly having to cut ties with one :wavingwhiteflag: - X-MEN1 is the best bet - plus we sometimes forget that X-MEN1 is also the 1st appearance of an iconic villain right up there with the Doctor...  the current lull in X1 prices below 5.5 is simply temporary but feels bigger then it should be because of the almost weekly fixation and repetitive-cyclic commentary on auction sales...my 2-cents :preach:

“A valuation, which is established as the outcome of the mass psychology of a large number of ignorant individuals is liable to change violently as the result of a sudden fluctuation of opinion due to factors which really do not make much difference . . . since there will be no strong roots of conviction to hold it steady.”
 John Maynard Keynes :devil:

Edited by Roger66

On 1/16/2022 at 2:12 PM, Roger66 said:

X-MEN #1 without a moment's thought.  As AF15 & Hulk 1 prices jettison out of most mere mortals' income-reach - more and more eyes are focused on such blue chip grails like TOS39, ASM1 & of course X-MEN1<3 - comic collecting now is more or less about what the mob demands - and just looking at IG postings I see without a doubt an incredible excitement to add an X-MEN1 to the PC in any condition....  no doubt FF5 is a super grail but of the 2 if sadly having to cut ties with one :wavingwhiteflag: - X-MEN1 is the best bet - plus we sometimes forget that X-MEN1 is also the 1st appearance of an iconic villain right up there with the Doctor...  the current lull in X1 prices below 5.5 is simply temporary but feels bigger then it should be because of the almost weekly fixation and repetitive commentary on auction sales...my 2-cents :preach:

“A valuation, which is established as the outcome of the mass psychology of a large number of ignorant individuals is liable to change violently as the result of a sudden fluctuation of opinion due to factors which really do not make much difference . . . since there will be no strong roots of conviction to hold it steady.”
 John Maynard Keynes :devil:

"Who are you to wave your finger?" 

- Maynard James Keenan

Would you consider buying both in a lower grade? I feel like for the price of an FF5 in 5.0 you could get a FF5 and X1 in 2.0ish range?  

I do agree with everyone who said X1 is the better long term investment.  But I also prefer FF5 personally. I'm just more of an FF5 collector and owning that book in a 5.0 is pretty special. 

On 1/16/2022 at 2:35 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

FF5 is a very lacklustre story, even for its time. 

Totally agree. The first Doom story is awful. I've always said thank goodness Kirby drew DD to be so sinister and striking. Because with the story in FF5, the character was destine to be forgotten!  

I do think Doom grew into the greatest and most important villain in Marvel Comics (with Magneto being a close second).