• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signed comic

5 posts in this topic

Hi there.., so I’m new here at CGC.., I have a question about a comic book that I’d like to send out for certification. It’s the DC comics Strange Adventures # 207 Now I see on eBay that the comic itself doesn’t go for much.. but the one I have is signed by the artist Neal Adams. Does that make a difference and if so how would I value it. Thank you. 

It does make a difference in value, assuming it is (or looks) authentic.

if I were you I’d look at sold prices of raw (unslabbed books) on eBay and see if you can see any patterns for how much value is added for the signature vs without.  And not just for that book but for other raw books signed by Adams.  

it will also depend somewhat on the grade of the book and how the signature looks.  But off the top of my head it will add between $5 to $25 to your price IMO.

there will not be a good economic return to submitting your book to Cgc, as they don’t authenticate signatures.  There may be other companies to consider for that service, but it would be gauche to discuss on the Cgc message boards.

On 1/17/2022 at 11:16 AM, Mom Boss said:

Hi there.., so I’m new here at CGC.., I have a question about a comic book that I’d like to send out for certification. It’s the DC comics Strange Adventures # 207 Now I see on eBay that the comic itself doesn’t go for much.. but the one I have is signed by the artist Neal Adams. Does that make a difference and if so how would I value it. Thank you. 

It makes a difference, a bad one. Since your signature is unverified by CGC, it means no one could ever send the book in to be graded by CGC. And it's unauthenticated so anyone willing to authenticate it would have to spend money elsehwere. So your book ends up being worth less at the moment, since there are more costs involved to turn the scribble on the comic into an authenticated signature .Basically for your book to be worth more than a non signed copy, you could have to spend more money and you will never see a return on it.

So I would not add any extra value on top of it. Hopefully the sig means some people choose yours over one that is not signed rather than the other way around.

On 1/17/2022 at 7:44 PM, William-James88 said:
On 1/17/2022 at 8:16 AM, Mom Boss said:

It makes a difference, a bad one. Since your signature is unverified by CGC, it means no one could ever send the book in to be graded by CGC. And it's unauthenticated so anyone willing to authenticate it would have to spend money elsehwere. So your book ends up being worth less at the moment, since there are more costs involved to turn the scribble on the comic into an authenticated signature .Basically for your book to be worth more than a non signed copy, you could have to spend more money and you will never see a return on it.

So I would not add any extra value on top of it. Hopefully the sig means some people choose yours over one that is not signed rather than the other way around.

I would disagree with this for the most part, but it is certainly true in some circumstances.  If a person had an ultra high grade comic then that would be true that value is lost because you couldn't slab it without taking a grade/value hit, but the vast vast majority of people (who aren't serious collectors) who have/find comics from the 60's and 70's have comics that are VF or lower, in which case the sig would almost certainly add value (assuming looks good and looks authentic).  

So yes, 5% (probably less) the signature might hurt, but the other 95% of the time the signature adds value (admittedly to varying degrees).