• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Secret Wars #8......or......ASM #252
4 4

66 posts in this topic

On 1/19/2022 at 2:52 PM, KCode98 said:

Guys, guys...How in the world are you adults that are arguing with each other on a message forum based around comic book collecting?

How? 

I believe there is a past history. The odd thing is I agree with both their points simultaneously.

On 1/19/2022 at 3:11 PM, MAR1979 said:

I believe there is a past history. The odd thing is I agree with both their points simultaneously.

Ok, the fact that we are arguing over comic books being bronze, copper, pewter, or aluminum is equally as goofy. 

Maybe I'm really the ignorant one here and don't know better but WHO CARES?

Selling an Amazing Spiderman 252 CGC 9.8 as a copper age or a vibranium age doesn't change the fact that it is a Amazing Spiderman 252 CGC graded at a 9.8

Again...Maybe I'm the ignorant one here but I cannot believe that regardless what chip falls that it is worth insulting another person and taking the time and energy to beat away at a keyboard angrily because you don't agree with another adult over a cheap magazine that was created to bring children happiness. This is a new one for me...I figured joining this board would be nothing but sweet nostalgia and everyone talking about better days while we bask in our sunsets. But here we are... 

Can a moderator please close my thread? 

On 1/19/2022 at 3:20 PM, KCode98 said:

Ok, the fact that we are arguing over comic books being bronze, copper, pewter, or aluminum is equally as goofy. 

Maybe I'm really the ignorant one here and don't know better but WHO CARES?

Selling an Amazing Spiderman 252 CGC 9.8 as a copper age or a vibranium age doesn't change the fact that it is a Amazing Spiderman 252 CGC graded at a 9.8

Again...Maybe I'm the ignorant one here but I cannot believe that regardless what chip falls that it is worth insulting another person and taking the time and energy to beat away at a keyboard angrily because you don't agree with another adult over a cheap magazine that was created to bring children happiness. This is a new one for me...I figured joining this board would be nothing but sweet nostalgia and everyone talking about better days while we bask in our sunsets. But here we are... 

Can a moderator please close my thread? 

Sorry if I contributed to the thread hijack ...

Full disclosure, the first comic book I ever bought to save as a collectible was Secret Wars #1, and so this particular point in comics history will always be very special to me.

On 1/19/2022 at 2:11 PM, MAR1979 said:

No particular history, other than both of us being here for a long time.

But when you post things like this on a public message board, you can't expect that nobody will comment on it:

On 1/19/2022 at 11:12 AM, shadroch said:

I've recently begun to divide my modern section into 1990s and 2000and up, but most of my stuff is from the 80s and older. My X-Men BA is 94-143 although I'm entertaining moving it to 94-150 as those later issues have gotten some traction.  Bronze Age books sell for more than Copper, so squeezing  as much into the BA as possible might make better business sense.

On 1/19/2022 at 2:20 PM, KCode98 said:

Where are the anger and insults?

Anyway, here's some perspective for you:

This message board existed for 20 years before you got here. You could (and should) have done some reading before you started posting. You obviously didn't, so you are the ignorant one here and your threads are nothing new, having been created a dozen times before by others who thought the world revolved around them. I'm not attacking or insulting you with this, just stating the simple facts.

Just imagine what he'd say if he was attacking you.  

Anyway, there are no wrongs answers when voicing an opinion. I've been buying 252s and passing on SW8s for the last few years but it's a personal choice. 

For myself, the Ditko issues, 252 and 298-305 are the only Spidey books on my buying radar, unless they are slabbed selling for half their value. I've been buying SW3s when they are cheap but that boat has just about sailed. 

On 1/19/2022 at 6:23 PM, shadroch said:

Just imagine what he'd say if he was attacking you.  

Anyway, there are no wrongs answers when voicing an opinion. I've been buying 252s and passing on SW8s for the last few years but it's a personal choice. 

For myself, the Ditko issues, 252 and 298-305 are the only Spidey books on my buying radar, unless they are slabbed selling for half their value. I've been buying SW3s when they are cheap but that boat has just about sailed. 

Secret Wars 3?  What's special about that one, other than Spidey vs. the X-Men?  I forget, is that the one where Titania and Volcana show up?  (I've never considered those characters important.)

On 1/19/2022 at 4:39 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Secret Wars 3?  What's special about that one, other than Spidey vs. the X-Men?  I forget, is that the one where Titania and Volcana show up?  (I've never considered those characters important.)

I've no idea. I think its the first appearence of somebody. People want them and I supply them.  I thought it was a really bad series when it came out and still do. 

On 1/19/2022 at 10:43 AM, Lazyboy said:

The rise of the Direct Market, which enabled the rise of the Independents (and the Limited Series), is what really defines Copper.

I go by decades now.  The GA, SA, Bronze, Copper, whatever really have no consistency and no useful meaning other than implied hype (Gold is better than Silver etc.). 

BUT, if I was going to define the difference between the 70s and 80s, it would be the proliferation of independent publishers and direct sales in the 80s. Dazzler 1 was a landmark worth noting.  

The first time I think a comic collector used the term GA was around 1948.  The term became popular in fan circles in the early 60s.  Back then it was great term to explain the difference between the original DC superheroes and the DC superhero revival that started with Flash.  It worked for Marvel comics because they were (1) in part a revival and (2) were inspired by DC's revival (Goodman was a huge and repetitive trend follower).  But, once you feel a need to define an "end" to the SA, the whole concept breaks down.  You cannot do it with reference to superhero characters as the guys who invented the GA/SA terms did.  So fans fight over artificial and forced demarcations which involve prices, title expansions/contractions, changes in how comics were sold, etc.  It is all meaningless and forced.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 1/19/2022 at 5:39 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Yes, that's it. I know this because, unlike some people, I don't care only about money.

On 1/20/2022 at 3:52 AM, KCode98 said:

Guys, guys...How in the world are you adults that are arguing with each other on a message forum based around comic book collecting?

How? 

Sayre's Law:  "In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake."

On 1/18/2022 at 7:21 PM, djzombi said:

Funny, I'm also 40 years into the hobby and was OCD in my youth!  I just had my ASM 252 come back from CGC 9.6 - I had guessed 9.0, so I'm pretty happy!  
The Wolverine Vol. 1 #1 that came back 9.0 when I had estimated 9.2 or 9.4...not so happy-making  :(  
As an aside, I have yet to crack CGC's code.  I've been grading by Overstreet standards for decades.  Each of my CGC submissions come back with some right as I'd guessed, some higher than expected, some lower than expected.  Few are significantly different from my estimates, but some are - in either direction.  I can't figure it out!  You'd think I was either an overgrader or undergrader...seems I'm just BAD AT IT, apparently!  :D 

nope-it's not you :) grading standards for CGC are like a rope-loosening and tightening upon demand 

On 1/19/2022 at 8:20 AM, shadroch said:

I never found a conclusive point where Bronze becomes Copper, so for the sake of simplification, I go by prices.  My Bronze period begins with Marvels increase to 20 cent covers and ends with the new .60 cent cover. I thought about gouing with .50 cents but that is clearly to early. With DC, it is when they go to 48 pages for .25 cents.  The only obvious exception is Millers DD run. I classify his whole run as Bronze because I don't want to break it up, wheres Moores Swampguy run is all Copper, even though they may overlap. 

That works well enough for me with most titles.  When I opened my first shop, comics were .60 cents and I would never claim I operated a shop in the Bronze Age.

CA to me is marked by the rise of Independent comics and they really hit their spurt during Marvels .60 cent price period. Back then, they were simply new releases.

This is how I've always done it.  $0.60 cover price is where Copper begins for me.  And Bronze started at the $0.20 cover price point.  

On 1/17/2022 at 2:34 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

After that OA sale, it might start to swing the other way 

You'd have to compare that to a contemporary sale of the page 4 splash of ASM 252 to see apples to apples.  Or the cover of MSHSW #8 with the cover of ASM #252 side by side at auction.  

:Rocket:

On 2/2/2022 at 5:03 PM, FFB said:

This is how I've always done it.  $0.60 cover price is where Copper begins for me.  And Bronze started at the $0.20 cover price point.  

I had to go make sure that ASM 229/230 were 60 cent covers.

They are.

I’ll allow it 

On 1/20/2022 at 5:30 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Not quite.  ASM 252 preceded Peter Parker 90

Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-Man 90 never gets any love :cry: On-Sale Same day as MTU 141.

Peter Parker 90 is my favorite Milgrom Black Cat cover. While I'm not the biggest Milgrom fan I do have a soft spot for his Hulk covers.  Specifically in the 230's, 240's, and 250.  Something about them is comforting to me in that Grilled Cheese Sandwich with canned Chicken Noodle (or Tomato) soup kind of way.

Edited by MAR1979