• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What were the big deals when you were a kid comic wise?
3 3

91 posts in this topic

Well I love going down memory lane and my whole childhood revolved around comics. For me in the 90's it was

1. Scarlet Spider. I never cared about the clone part but boy did I love the suit!
  2. Nightcrawler. He was my favorite X-Men
  3. Marvel action figures! KB Toys and Toys-R-Us just flipping through trying to find the hard to get ones. X-Men that would have been Deadpool, BLACK SUIT Storm, the white (not blue) Iceman, and Nightcrawler with the suction cups!
  4. Marvel playing cards. I had books and books of them. I especially liked the 1991 edition ones.
  5. Black suit Spiderman!!!!!!
  6. Captain America. In the 90's you weren't cool at school if you liked comics and back then I would have believed you more if you told me in 2000's there would be people living on the moon vs several amazing Captain America movies!

91fUCbgpZIL._AC_SY550_.jpg

976c2acc-0188-4ee1-a813-f312a77066e2_1.0d35c65485c16da3d89d19e1269a2ada.jpeg

A1ntS-7G-lL._AC_SY741_.jpg

IMG_9452.3.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by KCode98

when I was sick mom would buy me treasury editions and other comics. I remember getting spider-Man vs Superman treasury! Likely when it came out! (I would have been 9.)

McFarlane was big for me in high school, Hulk and then ASM.

7-11 slurpee cups were the best!

wacky packs too. I loved me some wacky packs, covered my nightstand and dresser with them.

For me any X-Men book or related title (New Mutants, etc) was a big deal, I couldn't get enough.

Also was way into M. S. Secret Wars (1984), the story was epic and the covers were great.

On the non-comic side, I loved collecting Garbage Pail Kids cards...still got a number of sets kicking around somewhere in the back of one of my closets.

Batman. 1989. Ten years old, standing in line for hours with my parents at the mall to get into a showing. I couldn’t get enough. I bought so many Batman trading cards!

but not a single Batman comic book. To this day I’ve only owned a handful of Batman comics. 

because not long after I saw Batman, i discovered the X-Men and my first issue was Gambit’s second appearance #267. The cover gave me strange feels. The story was WEIRD. I was hooked.

Edited by speedcake

Mid 1980's Silver/Bronze X-men had a special box in the back room at one of my local antique/comic places.   Don't know why the owner felt like they didn't belong out with the other back issues.  He also had a FN X-Men #1 he hid that he said he would sell for $500.  That was 1990, and I was a broke college kid. 

GI Joe was doing well, then some kid in High School was talking about this new book called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  

Then McFarlane came along. 

Edited by Mercury Man

On 1/17/2022 at 7:24 PM, shadroch said:

Bat-Mania in 1966. 

There has not been anything like it since then.

Amen. Wednesday and Thursday nights were the only time my Mom and Dad let me pick the channel. I didn't pick up on the campiness of the show then.

I've watched a few episodes lately, and they are painful to watch. But that doesn't take the enjoyment of watching those shows when I was 9 - 10 years old.

I would have to say the biggest deal when I was still young was the DC Explosion. So many new characters and books. Do I like Firestorm? Who is Firestorm?

The Incredible Hulk TV show was a pretty big deal. There was a lot of anticipation for the other made for TV adaptations like Spidey, Capt. America, and Dr. Strange. Those were big deals until the moment you started watching them.

On 1/17/2022 at 9:03 PM, Doctor Dositheus said:

I would have to say the biggest deal when I was still young was the DC Explosion. So many new characters and books. Do I like Firestorm? Who is Firestorm?

The Incredible Hulk TV show was a pretty big deal. There was a lot of anticipation for the other made for TV adaptations like Spidey, Capt. America, and Dr. Strange. Those were big deals until the moment you started watching them.

I liked the Dr Strange movie.

My teenage years saw the birth of a revolutionary giant.... Image Comics. The WildC.A.T.S. were jumping in and out of VOIDs, Spawn was burning up his Necroplasm on his way back to hell, Youngblood was Image's Avengers, Savage Dragon was a slimy green cop, Shadowhawk was offering free chiropractic services, the Pitt and the Maxx scared the out of me, Brigade and Bloodstrike had undead members. Stormwatch was taking care of business in space, and Gen13 was the answer to Marvel's mutants. Considering both WildC.A.T.S. and Spawn both sold over a million copies, I guess Image Comics was a big deal.

Edited by Yingly

On 1/17/2022 at 9:00 PM, speedcake said:

Batman. 1989. Ten years old, standing in line for hours with my parents at the mall to get into a showing. I couldn’t get enough.

Was only a bit older, but my friends and I were unsupervised, and we stayed in the theater and watched it 3 times, back to back to back.  (Of course, we also did that with Hudson Hawk a couple years later.  No shame.)

The X-Men animated series was HUGE. That got me into the comics, and figures. I'd never read modern X-Men before, only the older Marvel Masterworks my library had. They had the good stuff, like Kirby FF, OG X-Men, and the first volume or so of the new X-Men. I LOVED the Fantastic Four. It was an interesting time in the comic, with Reed dead and Sue in charge. I really believed he was dead. I was wistful about the past, how is missed out on the glory days with Reed on the team. Issue 400 had his funeral, so that sealed the deal for me. He was absolutely not coming back, right?

They also got a cartoon, which I watched, even though it was pretty bad, and of course I bought the figures. The cartoon was so bad even the comic was talking down about it. Fantastic Four was my monthly staple. Then some X-Men stuff. I had events like Age Of Apocalypse, Onslaught, man, I still get nostalgic rereading the omnibus' of them today (I still have all the issues, the omnis are just more convenient). 

Edited by Mecha_Fantastic

On 1/18/2022 at 1:24 AM, shadroch said:

Bat-Mania in 1966. 

There has not been anything like it since then.

Batmania of 1989 was quite extreme and prompted a speculator boom.  But, never personally experienced the 60s equivalent, to be fair.