• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What were the big deals when you were a kid comic wise?
3 3

91 posts in this topic

On 1/18/2022 at 1:28 AM, Ken Aldred said:

I know what you mean.

I’m at a very reflective stage in my life, thinking about the things I would’ve done differently with my comic collecting.

Don't look back. You should never look back.   

In the mid 70's I started out reading Archie comics. Around 78 I began to really get into some of the Marvel super hero books. Mainly Avengers and X-men. On weekends, I would press my folks to take me to flea markets and yard sales to try to find comics. The first real deal comic shop opened in our town in the early 80's. It was always the best days whenever I could get a ride to the shop! Fever pitch early on was the Wolverine LS.

On 1/18/2022 at 4:56 AM, 1950's war comics said:

LOL i'm still young at 60 thanks to the Lord!

The first comic i bought off the rack was ASM 102

i was 15 when i bought Howard the Duck #1 off the rack and when i sold them the next year i used $20 to buy a half ounce of weed lol 

I’m older than you. My first Spidey was #3. Never seen a Marvel up until then.

And in my day $10. Bought you a 3 finger bag of Mexican dirt weed. Lots of seeds and stems. 

On 1/18/2022 at 9:42 AM, KCode98 said:

I remember in the 90's GS X-Men was hot but not that hot. I think I remember them around $500. Good condition ones too. I was a kid so my amount I could spend was limited to what my dad thought we should spend and for him around $200 was the max. So GS X-Men was always right there just out of reach. Man do I wish I had a crystal ball for us back then... 

In the timeframe I was referring, GSX1 was around $20, X94 was twice that. I had gotten mine earlier at my first Con in ‘77

Edited by djpinkpanther67
Clarity

My youth was early Marvels, Rat Fink model kits, Mars Attacks cards and British Invasion music. My prized possessions were my surfboard, Hobie skateboard and my Schwinn Lemon Peeler bike.

Watched Batman, Flintstones, Munsters and the Beverly Hillbillies on TV.

Good times to be a kid. 

My friends and I didn't watch much television growing up. I'd watch the MMMS cartoons when it was my turn to pick a show after dinner but the only afternoon show we watched was Gigantor, and later 8th Man. I rarely watched Saturday cartoons/ monster movies unless it was raining. 

My friends older brother had a walkin closet that had thousands of comics, unbagged, in piles on the floor, on the shelves, just everywhere, with piles having been knocked over and having been stepped on.  It was a half finished attic so in the summer it was an oven and in winter you'd need a sweater.  For some reason, his parents won't let us take the comics out of the closet so we'd occasionally spend an afternoon in it reading them. One big problem was they were completely disorganized so you'd read a book and you might spend hours looking for the next issue. The brother didn't live in the house, and I never met him but one day his parents offered to sell me eveything for $2500.   I didn't have $25 dollars at the time.  

Edited by shadroch

On 1/18/2022 at 1:51 PM, shadroch said:

My friends and I didn't watch much television growing up. I'd watch the MMMS cartoons when it was my turn to pick a show after dinner but the only afternoon show we watched was Gigantor, and later 8th Man. I rarely watched Saturday cartoons/ monster movies unless it was raining. 

My friends older brother had a walkin closet that had thousands of comics, unbagged, in piles on the floor, on the shelves, just everywhere, with piles having been knocked over and having been stepped on.  It was a half finished attic so in the summer it was an oven and in winter you'd need a sweater.  For some reason, his parents won't let us take the comics out of the closet so we'd occasionally spend an afternoon in it reading them. One big problem was they were completely disorganized so you'd read a book and you might spend hours looking for the next issue. The brother didn't live in the house, and I never met him but one day his parents offered to sell me eveything for $2500.   I didn't have $25 dollars at the time.  

I don't know why but that reminds me of the time in elementary school when I was hanging out with my friends and one of their older brothers that was in middle school had a plastic mechanical pencil. To that point none of us even knew anything other than a #2 existed. He clicked a stick out about 4" and then held down the clicker as he pushed it all in his arm as he screamed. I'll never forget that as long as I live. 

Edited by KCode98