• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What were the big deals when you were a kid comic wise?
3 3

91 posts in this topic

On 1/18/2022 at 3:34 PM, 1950's war comics said:

@kavdo you remember your first issue of MAD bought of the rack  ?? here is the first one i bought... 40 cents , i only made 35 cent allowance a week for loading and unloading the dishwasher(which i never did) so i had to save a nickel from the previous week to  buy a MAD which was my favorite !!

md22532461467.jpg

Here is my first. My grandpa bought it for me at the cigar store. He spoiled me. We would go in and he'd tell me to grab a few comics. Of course, I would grab as many as I could get away with. One day, I saw this. Never seen one. Just look at this cover. Impossible to resist. I read it to pieces. Started a life long love of collecting. I bought every issue after that. Then started to try for back issues. Mostly, you could trade with other kids or their big brothers. Used book stores, garage sales and swap meets were good too.

One day my dad took me to Cherokee Books in Hollywood. There, pinned to the wall in a cleaners bag was #9. I had no idea it started out as a comic book. It was priced $3. I HAD to have it. The first time I ever paid more than cover price for a comic. Started me down the dark road to collecting addiction.

I remember paying Howard Rogofsky the insane amount of $15. for #1. Was my "grail". I had to cut a lot of lawns for it. Waited for what seemed like an eternity until it arrived. Still one of my favorite books today!

mad72.jpg

On 1/18/2022 at 3:34 PM, 1950's war comics said:

@kavdo you remember your first issue of MAD bought of the rack  ?? here is the first one i bought... 40 cents , i only made 35 cent allowance a week for loading and unloading the dishwasher(which i never did) so i had to save a nickel from the previous week to  buy a MAD which was my favorite !!

md22532461467.jpg

All i remember was the first mad I ever read at neighbor's house-a paperback collection and the weird feeling I got reading Mickey Rat and Starchie.

Fabulous Find: MAD Paperbacks - Back to the Past Collectibles

On 1/21/2022 at 12:48 AM, iggy said:

@Crimebustergot any Starchie stories?

Why, yes I do. hm:)

I just posted a video on my YouTube channel yesterday about visiting a store over Christmas break where I found several issues of Mad the comic book for very nice prices, including Mad #12 with the Starchie parody. As a big Archie collector, I had to have it, even though the first time I saw it at the store it went right over my head. It wasn't until I was back in my hotel room that I realized I had left behind the big kahuna, so we had to go back for it. 

Here's the video where I talk about buying these issues - the #12 with Starchie is the third one I discuss:

Early seventies. ASM 121 and 122, Batman 251, Marvel black and white mags(which I had to sneak in the house because my parents thought they were too mature for me), 100 Page Super Spectaculars, Batman, Superman and Spider-Man reruns on TV, The Exorcist(again, which I wasn't allowed to see, but I snuck in, and the movie scared the life out of this Catholic schoolboy), Wacky Packs(I spent my school lunch money on these), Dr. Shock and the Universal horror movies on Saturday afternoon. On my first Communion one of my gifts was the book The Great Comic Book Heroes by Jules Feiffer. Great times.

On 1/21/2022 at 1:44 AM, Larryw7 said:

Early seventies. ASM 121 and 122, Batman 251, Marvel black and white mags(which I had to sneak in the house because my parents thought they were too mature for me), 100 Page Super Spectaculars, Batman, Superman and Spider-Man reruns on TV, The Exorcist(again, which I wasn't allowed to see, but I snuck in, and the movie scared the life out of this Catholic schoolboy), Wacky Packs(I spent my school lunch money on these), Dr. Shock and the Universal horror movies on Saturday afternoon. On my first Communion one of my gifts was the book The Great Comic Book Heroes by Jules Feiffer. Great times.

Dr. Shock…. that brings back a flood of memories 

On 1/18/2022 at 12:29 PM, KirbyJack said:

Kirby returning to Marvel in 1975 was a big deal. 
I also enjoyed all the bicentennial stuff.

I was at the convention in NY where they made a big deal about this. It pissed me off to no end. They have this huge banner  out proclaiming The Return of The King and I'm expecting Stan to announce they licensed the Lord of The Rings and instead they bring out Kirby.  What a let down.

I wasn't heavily into comic fandom back in 75 but Kirby's  return to Marvel wasn't earth-shaking. He took over a Captain America that Frank Robbins had destroyed. Other than a few covers, he mostly did his own thing-  The Eternals, Devil Dinosaur, ect.  He was almost an after-thought.  Among my friends, it was felt he was well past his prime. I was very into the Bicentennial so I had to pick up Kirbys Treasury celebrating Captain America's journey through American history. I might have gotten a dozen pages into it before tossing it aside. To this day, I've never read it. 

Edited by shadroch

On 1/20/2022 at 10:14 PM, Crimebuster said:

Why, yes I do. hm:)

I just posted a video on my YouTube channel yesterday about visiting a store over Christmas break where I found several issues of Mad the comic book for very nice prices, including Mad #12 with the Starchie parody. As a big Archie collector, I had to have it, even though the first time I saw it at the store it went right over my head. It wasn't until I was back in my hotel room that I realized I had left behind the big kahuna, so we had to go back for it. 

Here's the video where I talk about buying these issues - the #12 with Starchie is the third one I discuss:

Cool MADS! Yeah, very good prices. Weird face on #22 is the artist Bill Elder. Fun story of his “origin” as a comic book artist. #2 is a masterpiece by Jack Davis. Enjoy them! 

On 1/21/2022 at 12:43 PM, piper said:

@Get Marwood & I, I just have to point out how much better British Mars Bars are compared to the sad imitations we get in 🇨🇦 & 🇺🇸 .

Why limit it to Mars Bars? :D