• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am I Cursed or Is Everyone Having Severe, Severe Problems with CGC?
2 2

63 posts in this topic

On 1/18/2022 at 6:45 AM, JollyComics said:
On 1/17/2022 at 8:45 PM, lizards2 said:

I'm not the one with the pirate booty fetish.

Come on matey! We will teach you to be not sissy anymore. 

:eek:

On 1/17/2022 at 7:12 PM, Lightning55 said:

You'll only hear about the problems, like you are having, not the ones that fly through just fine.  I just got 400 back this past month with no significant issues. 

How many thousands per month are going out the CGC door?  Could be a thousand a day, who knows, maybe more.  If a few dealers are shipping in poorly, the damages will be concentrated to their submitters, not widespread. 

If there were complaints of 1000 problems a month, that might only represent 3%.  Still too much, but if your comics are damaged pre-grading, not sure it's on CGC.  I see some complaints, but a drop in the ocean of total comics graded.  If it's YOUR stuff, that's all that seems to matter, but they have more than 1 customer.

If the cases come to you cracked, chipped, scratched, etc., that's on CGC.  If your books are graded 9.6-9.8 and have damaged corners, that came after grading and is either on CGC or the carrier.

The comics were absolutely damaged pre-grading; out of 80 books that were pressed and screened by me, not a single 9.8; only 3 9.6's. 

But, ALSO, they came back with 3 cracked cases. 

On 1/18/2022 at 1:45 AM, Lightning55 said:

Yes, if you have high grade and bent corners something went wrong after grading.  Boils down to CGC at encapsulation or during QC, or the carrier.  If bent with low grades, it may have come in damaged.  I don't know which happened here, no photos.

I had a couple of 9.8 comics with bent corners 2 years ago, and CGC helped me out.  Even then, it was very frustrating and time consuming.  I don't know what you do if you are getting mass quantities like that, and in multiple orders.

If it's in shipment, and it's sent in their large case that holds 25, I can see the potential for shaken comic syndrome.  Those cardboard waffle inserts are terrible.  They are NOT a cushioning material.  If the box gets hit at 100 psi, those panels are going to transfer all 100 psi right to the slab.  No give at all.  If you take one of those and put it on the floor, you can stand on it without it crumpling.  The padding material is supposed to give, to absorb the shock, not transfer it pound for pound to the contents.  They are probably creating their own problem.  Shipping 101, and Physics 101.

Excellent post and points.

The waffle inserts protect solely against light punctures and nothing else.  Guess who ever suckered CGC on this packaging method sold it on the basis of how nice and professional it looks. Can't argue with that, but as you mentioned they provide zero protection against force and that is what actually damages slabs.

Edited by MAR1979

CGC must have MILLIONS of raw books waiting in line.

How are they stored? Long boxes? Short boxes? Stacks on the floor as high as the ceiling?

And im not saying cgc is damaging books. It could be they were damaged in shipping. Sometimes you cant even tell a box has been dropped on the corner...sometimes the corner pops back out.

On 1/18/2022 at 11:05 AM, alexgross.com said:

very upsetting to be sure.

number one lesson here is don't submit through your LCS anymore. could be cgc, but the only way you'll know is to cut out any other party that handles your books.

+1 on that.  Especially if you have a good amount.

Got only 3 books to send and no CGC account?  That's maybe ok to go LCS.

On 1/18/2022 at 11:25 AM, Tafkap said:

The comics were absolutely damaged pre-grading; out of 80 books that were pressed and screened by me, not a single 9.8; only 3 9.6's. 

But, ALSO, they came back with 3 cracked cases. 

Good thing you didn't do a Grade PreScreen for 9.8.  At $8 per reject it would have cost you $640. 

But I suppose getting 80 comics graded with lower-than-anticipated grades is costly, too.  That's a mess.

On 1/18/2022 at 11:52 AM, Lightning55 said:

Good thing you didn't do a Grade PreScreen for 9.8.  At $8 per reject it would have cost you $640. 

But I suppose getting 80 comics graded with lower-than-anticipated grades is costly, too.  That's a mess.

Very very costly.  On my last batch CGC agreed to press and regrade all the comics.  They were sent in.  When they came back only about half of them were even opened; I verified this by checking the grading date.  This happened two times already.

It's funny that you have such great business with CGC because I have had the absolute worst experience with them.

On 1/19/2022 at 10:54 AM, The Meta said:

Interested in finding out the percentage of "crunched" corners have come from LCS and not direct shipping

Yes.  I would like some resolution or answer. 

Or I may never submit again.  

On 1/19/2022 at 1:18 PM, Tafkap said:

Yes.  I would like some resolution or answer. 

Or I may never submit again.  

Yeah, you've been here complaining since day one. 

I want some data, that includes you and other people. 

Nobody cares if you'll submit again, least of all CGC

Maybe CGC needs to go mobile, come to your crib and grade and encapsulate your books, that way, no more packaging and middlemen to handle and damage your books. You get to be present and supervise the whole process thus eliminating any hankey-pankey going on with your books. What do you say CGC?

On 1/19/2022 at 4:24 PM, Jaylam said:

Maybe CGC needs to go mobile, come to your crib and grade and encapsulate your books, that way, no more packaging and middlemen to handle and damage your books. You get to be present and supervise the whole process thus eliminating any hankey-pankey going on with your books. What do you say CGC?

They used to do this, or close to it anyway, with on site grading at conventions. 

On 1/19/2022 at 2:36 PM, Ryan. said:

They used to do this, or close to it anyway, with on site grading at conventions. 

Self-grading and slabbing like the self check out lines at walmart would be great!

On 1/19/2022 at 2:36 PM, Ryan. said:

I remember when you used to meet me in the garage..., :cloud9: