• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Non-Comic Magazines
6 6

282 posts in this topic

On 1/27/2022 at 2:44 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Personally, I would put 2 or 3 into priority mail envelopes (in regular bags and boards), stack them and then sandwich the envelopes (2 for 5 mags) between 2 pieces of rigid cardboard that are slightly bigger than the envelopes.  Wrap the sandwich in lots of bubble wrap both ways (so that there's no wiggle room) and place them in a priority mail box.  Again, with enough bubble wrap around all sides so that there's no space for movement in the box.

I know this involves USPS, not UPS, but I've shipped hundreds of books this way and never had them get damaged.  2c

Great advice; here is the super rookie question; where can I get the "regular bags and boards" you reference?

Thanks again!

On 2/23/2022 at 2:52 AM, jdandns said:

As you can see, "Fangoria", from the makers of the sci-fi themed "Starlog", didn't go all-in on horror from the start, but they got there eventually:

Nice Fango’s! What’s great about these books are the fact that you see the makeups and effect techniques progressively get better and better on each cover.

Yeah, this was truly a quantum leap era for movie FX.

For instance "America Werewolf in London" is a cover subject in the next batch, which I'll post shortly.

Those effects still hold up well 40 years later and won the first Oscar in the category in 1982. Unfortunately, not a lot of Fangoria subjects have won it since, "Bram Stoker's Dracula", "The Wolfman", "Pan's Labyrinth", and "The Fly", certainly, and maybe "Beetlejuice".

I loved NatLamp and have a nearly complete collection. The golden years are considered to be 1970-75, but they published a lot of classic material over the 15 years or so after that, which constitutes much of the rest of the time the magazine was regularly published. (It petered out through the 90's with some years seeing only a single reprint-laden issue released, likely to fulfill contractual obligations.) I'll definitely add some of my favorites to the thread later, but first, more early Fangos, continuing my earlier post:

fango13.jpg

fango14.jpg

fango15.jpg

fango16.jpg

fango17.jpg

fango18.jpg

fango19.jpg

fango20.jpg

fango21.jpg

fango22.jpg

fango23.jpg

fango24.jpg

fango25.jpg

fango26.jpg

fango27.jpg

fango28.jpg

On 2/25/2022 at 12:54 AM, jdandns said:

I loved NatLamp and have a nearly complete collection. The golden years are considered to be 1970-75, but they published a lot of classic material over the 15 years or so after that, which constitutes much of the rest of the time the magazine was regularly published. (It petered out through the 90's with some years seeing only a single reprint-laden issue released, likely to fulfill contractual obligations.) I'll definitely add some of my favorites to the thread later,

Looking forward to the NatLamps!  I ultimately decided I wanted the first 75 issues, plus some selected later material.  Right now I just need to track down the first issue for the 1-75 run.  That actually gets into 1976, but seems like a good stopping point.

On 2/25/2022 at 8:31 PM, OtherEric said:

John G. Fantucchio pedigree copy.  Sadly, the centerfold is detached.  But I got it for a song because of that, and it looks incredible still:

National_Lampoon_1971_04.jpg

75 cents a lot of money in 1971 , 🧐